My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many degrees are given in a single sitting?

jhodgdon

I have been debating petitioning my local SR but unfortunately the closest is 2 1/2 hours away. Do I have to go down there 32 times?

Tony Siciliano

Premium Member
SR Vallies hold annual or semi-annual "reunions", where multiple degrees are conferred over a couple of days. They are very elaborate plays, with usually one brother going through the degree to represent all the others in attendance.

Of the 28 degrees, only 10 or 15 are actually presented. In some rare cases, a Valley will present all of them theatrically.

That's how it's done here. YMMV. I'm looking forward to my Valley's reunion 1-2 April.

tom268

The AASR in Germany does one degree per meeting, but they only do 4, 18, 30 and 32. The rest is given either in a special ritual 5-14 or as an instruction before the next degree.

jwhoff

Premium Member
Usually a night's stay in a hotel. Could be two since it takes considerable time to put on the degrees. If you are lucky enough to get all 32 in one reunion, you could stay as many as three full days. You're going to love it brother. Drop us a line on your favorite degree.

Ashton Lawson

Premium Member
The Fort Worth Valley does degree work a couple times a year. I am getting the degrees this month, and they are all being presented over 3 Saturday's on 3/5, 3/12, and 3/19. The 1st day was the 4th-17th Degrees, the 2nd day will be the 18th-28th Degrees, and the 3rd day will repeat the terminal 4th, 14th, 18th, and will confer the 29th-32nd.

The 3rd day is technically considered the "One-Day" program, as it represents only the terminal and final degrees, and so you are not required to attend all 3 days of the Reunion. Attendance of just the last day is considered sufficient to complete the degrees.

I put off joining the Scottish Rite until now because I wanted to see all 29 Degrees presented individually. I highly recommend doing that way instead of the "One-Day," as each degree has tremendous value.

jhodgdon

jwhoff said:
You're going to love it brother. Drop us a line on your favorite degree.

Oh I will! On a different note, do you pay annual dues in addition to your home lodge?

Jacob Johnson

yeah, there are annual dues with the SR too, price dependent upon your valley (i believe). I am doing the degrees in this reunion with the Dallas valley. The reunion is over 2 days, 3-5, and 3-12-11, and on the first day we watched 4-18th degrees. The Dallas Valley puts on all 29 Degrees twice a year. I figured if I was gonna join, I would rather see all 29 done together, and I'll be the first to tell you that that's the way to do it.

as a side note, my favorite degree so far was definitely the 18th, Knight of the Rose Croix... But that opinion may change on Saturday.