My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much are you willing to teach?

hanzosbm

Premium Member
We've seen a growing trend (which I like very much) of more and more discussion within our lodges. For those brethren who either offer papers/discussion within their lodge or simply those that help other brethren on their journey, how much are you willing to give freely versus having them connect the dots themselves? I think this particularly pertains to more esoteric topics and deeper symbolism. Are you willing to dive right in and lay out your thoughts openly? Do you prefer to give some hints and points in the right direction and have them search it out? Or do you feel that they should be on their own to find these things as a kind of rite of passage or as a way to guard it against those who see no value in it?

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Brother seeing as how the working tools are explained to us as well as what the other symbols represent I have no problem what so ever in giving my take and what they mean to me. Ive always dispised people who tell you to "GO look it up" when you ask them a question. Being in the Army im pretty good and memorization. I amy not know all the answers but I probably know where to ffind it at. If I am asked a question depending on the situation I will either A. give them the answer, b. tell them where they can find it or c. if time allows pull up the reference and show them. In all three instances we will have a discussion about the q&a and make sure that myself and the one/s asking are on the same page.

Alway lead, coach and mentor!

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
If Masonic Science exists then it must be subject to experiment but I have hardly ever found a brother interested in going past speculation.

And having speculated a few hundred times, most brethren fall silent.
and what type of experiments are you talking about?

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
We've seen a growing trend (which I like very much) of more and more discussion within our lodges. For those brethren who either offer papers/discussion within their lodge or simply those that help other brethren on their journey, how much are you willing to give freely versus having them connect the dots themselves?

I give freely far too much and it is always with the strict understanding that I am not spoon-feeding anyone.

I think this particularly pertains to more esoteric topics and deeper symbolism. Are you willing to dive right in and lay out your thoughts openly?

Yup. Put only to those who have shown that they are at a place to invest in it as well.

Do you prefer to give some hints and points in the right direction and have them search it out?

Always!

Or do you feel that they should be on their own to find these things as a kind of rite of passage or as a way to guard it against those who see no value in it?

Non-sense. The right person seeking for the right reasons will not want to spin their wheels AND does not want to get on the bus. They want direction and their own vehicle.

hanzosbm

Premium Member
I give freely far too much and it is always with the strict understanding that I am not spoon-feeding anyone.

Yup. Put only to those who have shown that they are at a place to invest in it as well.

Always!

Non-sense. The right person seeking for the right reasons will not want to spin their wheels AND does not want to get on the bus. They want direction and their own vehicle.
Brother Coach, I think you're getting what I'm saying. So, let me reword this a bit to get your thoughts a bit further; how much would you be willing to teach to the entire lodge? In other words, would you be willing to write a paper on it and share it openly with the entire lodge?

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Brother Coach, I think you're getting what I'm saying. So, let me reword this a bit to get your thoughts a bit further; how much would you be willing to teach to the entire lodge? In other words, would you be willing to write a paper on it and share it openly with the entire lodge?
Do you have any idea the number of papers, articles, books, videos, memes and "daily points to perpend" that I have produced and shared in open lodges and with Brothers daily around the world?

hanzosbm

Premium Member
Do you have any idea the number of papers, articles, books, videos, memes and "daily points to perpend" that I have produced and shared in open lodges and with Brothers daily around the world?
No, I don't. But do you hold back things in those that you might otherwise share one on one?

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
No, I don't. But do you hold back things in those that you might otherwise share one on one?
The only time that I hold back is when the person obviously won't value or get what I share.

Well, that and when they don't want to do the work or make the investment to get what I got already.

Bloke

Premium Member
I would certainly hold back. When we have EA's around, we dont discuss the meaning of the third degree in depth... I think you need to address the student according to the class he is in, it is no good talking the specifics of calculus with a kid in the third grade, but there is nothing wrong with a third grader knowing calculus is something which exists and they can aspire to... Likewise, I've got a few friends deeply into the esoteric, and sometimes when they talk, my eyes glaze over.... and not only because sometimes I'm note sure where they are at, but sometime I know exactly and they are drawing very long bows...

What annoys me is when men say "you're not ready" or "you need to work harder" to an intelligent question where the respondent is ignorant but using this as a cover for it. Nothing wrong with saying "I don't know"

Part of being a speculative Freemason is to speculate... but one of the best pieces of advice I got was on my initiation - never stop asking questions..

Last edited:

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Very good topic! I would be willing to help any way that I could although I still have a lot to learn myself.

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
So how would you use the "working tools" to test the proposition that I had ice cream yesterday? Is it a true statement?

So you want speculative Masons to use symbolic tools to deduce if you did or did not consume an actual item? That would be like asking operative Masons to use actual tools to know my thoughts (also it would be odd to try to use them to know my dietary history). Only use the tools for the job that are built for the job.

I wouldn't use Masonry to find out if you had ice cream yesterday. I would just say "Did you eat ice cream?" Then based on your reply I would take you word on the matter of your diet.

As to the truthfulness of the statement about the ice cream there is not enough information to know you dietary history.

Side note: This is one of the oddest things I have ever seen show up in a Masonic discussion.

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
How much would I be willing to teach. Regretfully about twice as much as I actually know. As with most other topics I think I know more than I actually do. Which is a paradox since I know this about myself are the preceding statements true? Who knows, but I would be willing to share anything I do or think I know to those who want to learn not just those who say they want to learn.

hanzosbm

Premium Member
... I would be willing to share anything I do or think I know to those who want to learn not just those who say they want to learn.
And I completely agree with this. My concern, however, is with 2 separate situations. Let me break each of them down and hopefully that'll make my question a little clearer.

1) A young EA has sat down with you to discuss the degree. Assuming that you feel him to be worthy and he shows an interest to learn, would you push information to him, or simply give him some things to think about and see if he gets there on his own?
2) You are addressing a large audience of Masons. Some you feel worthy and interested in learning, some have no interest whatsoever. Would you freely share your insights with the masses?

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
And I completely agree with this. My concern, however, is with 2 separate situations. Let me break each of them down and hopefully that'll make my question a little clearer.

1) A young EA has sat down with you to discuss the degree. Assuming that you feel him to be worthy and he shows an interest to learn, would you push information to him, or simply give him some things to think about and see if he gets there on his own?
2) You are addressing a large audience of Masons. Some you feel worthy and interested in learning, some have no interest whatsoever. Would you freely share your insights with the masses?

See heres the thing about Masonry, there is no hard info. It is all up to the individual to "get there on their own." you can explain that the Wages of a FC are the C, W, and O, however what they represent will be different to each person. so you can give all the info you want but what it means to you will not be the same to the person you are speaking too.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
See heres the thing about Masonry, there is no hard info. It is all up to the individual to "get there on their own." you can explain that the Wages of a FC are the C, W, and O, however what they represent will be different to each person. so you can give all the info you want but what it means to you will not be the same to the person you are speaking too.
And when you start working on the wages of a MM, things become a bit tastier.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I think this particularly pertains to more esoteric topics and deeper symbolism.

I currently do monthly articles for the trestle board about symbolism. In each I include a challenge to come up with more meanings yourself. In written articles it's what I can do.

When it comes to discussing mysticism, the few times it happens I always learn more than I teach. Since there aren't many brothers interested in mysticism I wonder if both of us feel that way after parting. It would be the ideal outcome.