My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hymns

afrah

Lodges in England generally start their meetings with the Opening Ode :
and finish with the Closing Ode:

Some also sing the first verse of the National Anthem (God Save the Queen) whilst still in the Lodge Room while others (like mine) sing it at the Festive Board. The SMIBs are usually sung in the Lodge as well and some Lodges do sing a bit more in Lodge with specific bits that their traditions dictate.
I very liked it . How to sing well . What a courageous voice. It reminded me of Christmas songs , also romantic and festive.

Canadian Paul

My Lodge sings an Opening Ode and a Closing Ode at every meeting. They are sung while the Deacons are attending to the Lesser Lights. We also sing 'Oh Canada' just after the Lodge has Closed. We also sing a single-verse 'Entrance Ode' in each degree, which is sung just as the candidate is brought into the Lodge. I still remember the effect hearing that singing had on me when I was brought into the Lodge at my Initiation! We have an organ but, unfortunately, no organist, so the singing is unaccompanied. In some ways, that is even more impressive!

Bloke

Premium Member
My Lodge sings an Opening Ode and a Closing Ode at every meeting. They are sung while the Deacons are attending to the Lesser Lights. We also sing 'Oh Canada' just after the Lodge has Closed. We also sing a single-verse 'Entrance Ode' in each degree, which is sung just as the candidate is brought into the Lodge. I still remember the effect hearing that singing had on me when I was brought into the Lodge at my Initiation! We have an organ but, unfortunately, no organist, so the singing is unaccompanied. In some ways, that is even more impressive!
Lots of Odes here, during degrees, generally one for each time we move a candidate... if the deacons are moving, we're generally singing.

Sent from my SM-G920I using My Freemasonry mobile app

dfreybur

Premium Member
Theres only one time we sing and its more of a chant

Plus it's a different song in some jurisdictions. I have learned two songs for that point in the degrees. Gotta be careful I don't start belting out the other song I learned for that point.

I also learned a song for Table Lodge, but I've heard the song used at festive board which is similar to Table Lodge but not tiled. Happy to meet, sad to part, happy to meet again, again, happy to meet again ...