My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm trying again now in Texas

rider.of.rohan

Hi everyone. Joshua here. My story is a little confusing and I dont know what to do next. I moved to East Texas about 2 years ago from Northern California. I had petitioned to join a lodge there and was accepted but then I had to move to Texas before I got to do anything with the lodge. But now I am settled here in Texas and want to start my path at becoming the man I have wanted to be. If you all have any questions please ask I'm very open.

After becoming a firefighter I have learned what brotherhood means and what it is like to truly respect and honor a brother when it comes to that. Hopefully my journey will take me somewhere where I learn the craft and become a better man. Anything else you want to know ask away. Thanks for letting me join.

Hope to start a petition soon I just dont know what lodge because there are two near me. And I'm confused about my California one. Maybe someone can help with that.

Kind regards,

Joshua

Sent from my VS990 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
If you have any letters from the CA lodge you should mention them when you petition TX. If you paid any fees in CA they should have been returned to you when you told them you were moving.

Bloke

Premium Member
If you have any letters from the CA lodge you should mention them when you petition TX. If you paid any fees in CA they should have been returned to you when you told them you were moving.
Unless it was an application fee....

So Rider, to be clear and to confirm, you petitioned in Texas, and were accepted but not initiated so you never became a Freemason ? I would just find a lodge in TX and fill out their paperwork and offer that TX lodge any assistance to resolve the any issue. Out of courtesy, I would be contacting the Lodge in CA and letting them know you were grateful they accepted you but saddened that your personal circumstances prevented you from being initiated but you petitioned in good faith and want to become a Freemason and will pursue that in your new State of TX (which might have a minimal residency requirement).

rider.of.rohan

Thank you all very much. I contacted the local lodge and they need to make sure I was accepted there So I just need to contact the initial lodge I petitioned for and have them clear that I was accepted and left in good standings to move to texas

rider.of.rohan

Unless it was an application fee....

So Rider, to be clear and to confirm, you petitioned in Texas, and were accepted but not initiated so you never became a Freemason ? I would just find a lodge in TX and fill out their paperwork and offer that TX lodge any assistance to resolve the any issue. Out of courtesy, I would be contacting the Lodge in CA and letting them know you were grateful they accepted you but saddened that your personal circumstances prevented you from being initiated but you petitioned in good faith and want to become a Freemason and will pursue that in your new State of TX (which might have a minimal residency requirement).
I have not petitioned in Texas yet and I was never accepted in California as a Mason I petitioned in California but never started my apprenticeship but I was accepted into the lodge to start my apprenticeship but then I moved here to Texas and so I want to petition for a large here but I wanted to make sure that that doesn't conflict with what went on a California

Bloke

Premium Member
I have not petitioned in Texas yet and I was never accepted in California as a Mason I petitioned in California but never started my apprenticeship but I was accepted into the lodge to start my apprenticeship but then I moved here to Texas and so I want to petition for a large here but I wanted to make sure that that doesn't conflict with what went on a California

Do you know if the balloted for you?

Sounds like you are going about this well (and there are lots of experienced TX and USA masons here who will chime in with more help)

rider.of.rohan

Do you know if the balloted for you?

Sounds like you are going about this well (and there are lots of experienced TX and USA masons here who will chime in with more help)
It was about a year and a half ago. If the ballot was when they vote me in to join then yes they balloted me and was accepted. I have some people in California contacting the GLoCA and Texas people doing the same. Thanks for the help

dfreybur

Premium Member
You petitioned and were balloted upon so you are the "material" of your California lodge. Two paths -

Ask for a "Waiver of jurisdction" from your California lodge to surrender you to a different lodge.

Ask for "degrees by courtesy" then after being raised transfer your membership.

Either option takes paperwork. Either option should be a rubber stamp approval.

rider.of.rohan

You petitioned and were balloted upon so you are the "material" of your California lodge. Two paths -

Ask for a "Waiver of jurisdction" from your California lodge to surrender you to a different lodge.

Ask for "degrees by courtesy" then after being raised transfer your membership.

Either option takes paperwork. Either option should be a rubber stamp approval.
Thank you very much for the help. I'll make sure to bring that up. You have been a great help so far

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Grass valley? Thats not norcal maaan. Im originally from Shasta County.....thats norcal. Jk ill except that answer. Drives me nuts when people from the bay area amd central valley tru to say they are from Norcal

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

dfreybur

Premium Member
Drives me nuts when people from the bay area amd central valley tru to say they are from Norcal

NorCal starts where SoCal ends. Leave Santa Barbara county and you're out of SoCal. Ask the Central folks - They don't want their own region they typically self identify as Baja California Del Norte. Woops, I mean as part of the north. ;^)

Matt L

Site Benefactor
My wife graduated from Humbolt State, that's northern CA. When we lived in Carpinteria and Oxnard I didn't consider it SOCAL. If you were south of LA that was SOCAL.

dfreybur

Premium Member
All of that north-south stuff gets very relative when you consider the names Baja California Del Sur, Baja California Del Norte and Norte Americano.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Nope. Sac and above is NorCal. Actually Yolo county and above. Its a whole different culture then the rest of the state. The state of Jefferson!
Umm, geography check; Grass Valley is north of the Yolo County line...
Yolo stops around 38.8 and GV is 39.2.