My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interested in learning the ways of the old.

lilreeves

If it's not on that site, I would assume it was clandestine. It looks like Richmond Hill may be the closest lodge. I had a 1SG who was in a PHA lodge around Ft. Stewart. I would bet that someone in your company or battalion is a mason. Ask around.
Ill ask around at work tomorrow.

flipster

I know little beyond the basics of PHM, but I recall some years back at GL, that there was a new PHGL building that went up near southeast Michigan. It was a 9 million dollar edifice, and paid in full the day it opened. Those are some serious giving men.

MarkR

Premium Member
I'm not sure how it works, but the hinesville lodge seems to be lackng "diversity" if you know what I mean.. Is there a difference in what lodge I can join being black?
There should be no difference. I can't speak for Georgia lodges, but many lodges that don't currently have any black members would be perfectly fine with accepting them, but simply have never had any come to the west gate.

It is, of course, certain that you'd be welcome at a Prince Hall lodge, but you won't know if the Hinesville lodge would accept you unless you try.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Just from the way you had to say "is there a lodge I can join being black "should let you know what's going on in Freemasonry is wrong. The color of your skin should not seclude you to a certain Masonic affiliation. It's sad and primitive thinking but it is the way things are, like I've heard so many times. Gate city lodge #2 in Atlanta, Ga initiated a black man and the GL of Georgia threatened to take away their charter. It eventually made it's way up to the courts. Since then they have initiated more men of color. If I were you brother, and you were interested in joining their lodge, I would petition it. What's the worse they could say. The GL of Ga claims they do not discriminate against any race, of course they have to say that to prevent law suits. Please don't think all regular GLS are like this. I have met some really good brothers in GLs that accepted "good men", regardless of their skin color. There is even brothers on this forum that are members of diverse lodges. The South is behind in times like always, but you also want to join a lodge were you are going to feel like you are at home.

Last edited:

dfreybur

Premium Member
I found a lodge through a google search that is not listed on the site you suggested, does that mean the lodge is not a real masomic lodge?

Above I described how to find regular and recognized lodges anywhere in the world by starting with the recognition list from England. If you join a lodge from that list you will be able to visit anywhere in the world.

http://www.conferenceofgrandmasterspha.org/gjlinks.asp

The Prince Hall branch of our US part of the Masonic family has some listed by England some not yet. If you join a lodge from my second list you will be able to visit lodges spanning all of the US and many US military installations around the world. If a lodge you find in listed here it's real.

A lot of jurisdictions are in both lists. When in both lists, both of my descriptions where you can visit apply.

Masonry in the US dates from a time when race meant something other than Daytona 500 or Kentucky Derby. Our family has two branches both older than our country. As usual among close kin there's family drama.

Lodges that are not found by either of the two methods I have posted will be clandestine. In the sense that you would not be able to visit other lodges world wide, they aren't real. In the sense that they are forces for good in their own communities and their members generally having no idea they are in clandestine lodges, they are real. Reality comes in degrees and is in the eye of the beholder. Go with a listed jurisdiction.

Bloke

Premium Member
I'm not sure how it works, but the hinesville lodge seems to be lackng "diversity" if you know what I mean.. Is there a difference in what lodge I can join being black?

Disclaimer. I'm Australian.

Met them ? They might be all right and it will not change if everyone thinks like you (please read above disclaimer).

Oh.. and I'm also a Freemason, our lodges here are colour blind and full of accents... That said, I think I would love Prince Hall Freemasonry because of the rebel tradition of not letting someone (esp who was wrong) tell me what I can and cant do hehehehe

.....Gate city lodge #2 in Atlanta, Ga initiated a black man and the GL of Georgia threatened to take away their charter. It eventually made it's way up to the courts. Since then they have initiated more men of color. .....

When did that happen ? *google* * google* WOW.... 2009....
http://freemasonsfordummies.blogspot.com.au/2009/06/masonic-bigotry-and-georgia.html

Frankly, that truly amazes me.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Disclaimer. I'm Australian.

Met them ? They might be all right and it will not change if everyone thinks like you (please read above disclaimer).

Oh.. and I'm also a Freemason, our lodges here are colour blind and full of accents... That said, I think I would love Prince Hall Freemasonry because of the rebel tradition of not letting someone (esp who was wrong) tell me what I can and cant do hehehehe

When did that happen ? *google* * google* WOW.... 2009....
http://freemasonsfordummies.blogspot.com.au/2009/06/masonic-bigotry-and-georgia.html

Frankly, that truly amazes me.
I remember when this happened. It was hush hush for the longest. If you have face book, search Gate City Lodge #2 and it will pop up their page. Talking about breaking some barriers, these brothers are a true example of what freemasonry should be. That's why it blows my mind when people say it's not so much as racism as to why we are segregated. I can't think of any other reason why the GL of Georgia threatened to pull their charter. Not to mention, the WM of the lodge Had to send multiple letters to other subordinate lodges advising them that this brother had been initiated, passed, and raised and should be taken as a brother. Since I live so close to Georgia, I've met guys from lodges in Ga and they have stated that he might have been raised, but that doesn't mean anything to them. Now keep in mind not all brothers in the GL of GA govern themselves this way. Just some brothers that refuse to free their minds and see people for people.

Last edited:

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member

I belong to a lodge that appeared to me beforehand that it also lacked diversity. I don't feel that way anymore. Of course, I was already a Master Mason and my mentor belonged to the lodge when I affiliated. It hasn't been an issue since I joined.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
Just from the way you had to say "is there a lodge I can join being black "should let you know what's going on in Freemasonry is wrong. The color of your skin should not seclude you to a certain Masonic affiliation. It's sad and primitive thinking but it is the way things are, like I've heard so many times. Gate city lodge #2 in Atlanta, Ga initiated a black man and the GL of Georgia threatened to take away their charter. It eventually made it's way up to the courts. Since then they have initiated more men of color. If I were you brother, and you were interested in joining their lodge, I would petition it. What's the worse they could say. The GL of Ga claims they do not discriminate against any race, of course they have to say that to prevent law suits. Please don't think all regular GLS are like this. I have met some really good brothers in GLs that accepted "good men", regardless of their skin color. There is even brothers on this forum that are members of diverse lodges. The South is behind in times like always, but you also want to join a lodge were you are going to feel like you are at home.

Please remember that is not the case everywhere. There are probably severe issues in the southern states that don't recognize PHA but it is not like that everywhere.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Oh yes I am aware. Being a military man, I've traveled the south and met brothers that did not conduct themselves this way. Bro. Richard, do y'all have this issue where you hail ?

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
Oh yes I am aware. Being a military man, I've traveled the south and met brothers that did not conduct themselves this way. Bro. Richard, do y'all have this issue where you hail ?

To be honest, yes we do. Even though the Grand Lodge of Texas and the PHA Grand Lodge are now in amity and have visitation (visitation was just approved last year and you have to fill out a form first); most of the lodges under the GLOT are predominantly Caucasian. We have a ways to go but we are moving in the right direction.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Are there any men of color that are in the GL of TX that you know of ? Meaning were initiated, passed and raised in under the GL of TX, not PHA.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
Are there any men of color that are in the GL of TX that you know of ? Meaning were initiated, passed and raised in under the GL of TX, not PHA.

I happen to know one very well. He stares at me in the mirror everytime I look at it. Lol. The lodge I was raised in is very diverse. It is rare though. But to answer your question, there are Black men in the GLOT. I know several. It is not that many if looked at as a percentage though.

Last edited: