My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joining the Shrine

Bro. Landry

I know that SR and YR are continuations of the blue lodge, which would give MMs motive to join, but what would be a reason for joining the shrine. Any nobles here can tell me why A MM would want to or interested in joining the Shrine?

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I know that SR and YR are continuations of the blue lodge, which would give MMs motive to join, but what would be a reason for joining the shrine. Any nobles here can tell me why A MM would want to or interested in joining the Shrine?

To meet other Masons not in his lodge, play in the units and clubs, support the Hospital system.

dfreybur

Premium Member
In the Shrine we have fun helping kids. Every event is a family event so my wife can be included. Every event is a fund raiser for the hospital so I always know the goal. Plus one more corny hat.

Bloke

Premium Member
In the Shrine we have fun helping kids. Every event is a family event so my wife can be included. Every event is a fund raiser for the hospital so I always know the goal. Plus one more corny hat.
It's *the* corney hat !

I did not know you were a fellow Noble Bro Doug - well met :) Although I must admit I am not currently financial having resigned a paid up member - but am still a big supporter of the Shrine- and my GF really likes going but its just beyond my cable tow atm..

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member

I see that you are PHA or was based on your profile info. Your Shrine (assuming you are still PHA) is a little different yet similar. Might be better to pose the question in one of the PHA forums.

Bloke

Premium Member
Oh, it doesn't even approach the Tall Cedars of Lebanon for corniness of hats. Maybe you don't have them there.
You win
(and no, Victoria Australia does not have the Cedars, so the Fez is the "best" hat we can get, pleased I have one :) )

dfreybur

Premium Member
It's *the* corney hat !

I did not know you were a fellow Noble Bro Doug - well met :) Although I must admit I am not currently financial having resigned a paid up member - but am still a big supporter of the Shrine- and my GF really likes going but its just beyond my cable tow atm..

Not even close to the chapeau used by the Commandry. They look ready for a scene out of a Hortatio Hornblower movie.

I have a form to transfer my Shrine membership from Chicago to here in Austin. I'll turn it in some time this year. I'm not all that active in the Shrine.

They do have a home brewing club and that's one of my hobbies.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
I enjoyed most of my short time with the Shrine. The organization does great things for children. I found it very overwhelming as a group. Too many people trying to get you to do this or that, and it was much more than I wanted involvement with. I filed for demit a few years back due to a couple of personal reasons. I may never return.

As to the children, I still maintain a reoccurring donation to Shriners Hospital and I locally support the Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

chrmc

The best explanation I've heard is that someone calls is the Masonic Country Club, just cheaper. If you're looking for a place to hang out with Masons, enjoy various activities and have libations then the Shrine is a good option. A number of guys are also happy with the fact that they can bring their wives to many of the events, so it becomes more family oriented.