My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's make it okay to say 'I don't know'

hanzosbm

Premium Member
Chances are, if you're a Mason, you've done some research. You may not have submitted a paper to Ars Quatuor Coronatorum, or even written a paper for your lodge, but you've probably at least read a book or two on Masonic topics. During the course of that research or even just talking to other brothers, it has probably become quite obvious that our history and origins are a bit of a mystery. No doubt, you've heard many different ideas about where Freemasonry came from. And, if you've done much research and thought about what you're reading objectively, it's almost certain that you've come across a theory or two (or 20) that doesn't quite seem to stack up. So, what's happening here and why am I writing this post?

In general, most research is carried out (ideally) using the scientific method. For those who might need a reminder, the scientific method has a number of steps used for research. The first is to posit a question. "Where did Freemasonry come from?" for instance. The question itself isn't important for our discussion. The next step is to state a hypothesis. "Freemasonry was introduced by aliens". At this point (and this is important), the hypothesis shouldn't be all that important. Well that seems like a strange statement. The hypothesis is the basis for all of our research, surely it has to be very important. It's not, and not only will I tell you why, but I'll also explain why this misunderstanding is so dangerous. But I digress. The next step after the hypothesis is stated is to collect data about your hypothesis. After this is done, the data is analyzed to determine if the facts support or refute your hypothesis. This is another hugely important step and here is one of the biggest difficulties that researchers have; they must try their hypothesis by the square of facts and present them in an unbiased nature. From there, a conclusion is made. Either the facts support the original hypothesis and this is stated, or they don't. Now, here is the important part that is too often missed and why I said that the hypothesis isn't all that important. If the facts do not support the hypothesis, the hypothesis should be amended and the cycle resumes, or the research is presented as a disproved hypothesis. If the former, then the cycle repeats until the hypothesis eventually fits the facts.

The problem is, that's not the way we typically see it working. Rather than amending the hypothesis until it fits the facts, we see authors amending the facts until it fits their hypothesis. Of course, we all know how damaging this is. It is the cause for the dissemination of so much misinformation that seems to be the norm in our society today. But why do they/we do this? Let's look back at that scientific method and assume that a researcher put forth a hypothesis, found data, analyzed it, and determined that the facts do not fit the hypothesis. Well, we all know that the right thing to do is to abandon the hypothesis. So, if the researcher was going to do the right thing, they would either publish their findings by publically announcing 'I was wrong' or they would start all over again with a new hypothesis. Researchers who state that their hypotheses are wrong might be doing good work, but their books aren't best sellers and they don't get invited to go on talk shows. Not only that, but some people see it as a shot to their ego. Why? Because they become emotionally attached to their hypotheses. They have shifted the priority away from finding truth and onto being right. So why not have both? Why not amend the hypothesis until it is proven right? Well, first, because that could take a VERY long time. Some books might take a lifetime to write so the idea of abandoning all of that work and starting over is just too much for some people. Second, because they have become emotionally attached to the hypothesis and refuse to let it go, regardless of the evidence. And third, and the crux of this discussion, because they might not be able to find an answer. This possibility strikes at all of the negatives discussed here. To say 'I don't know' means you must not only abandon a hypothesis that you might have grown attached to, but you're not even going to have a new one to cling to. This also means that all the work that you've put into it up to this point has not yielded a conclusion. In addition, nobody is going to listen to an interview or buy a book without a conclusion. And finally, because it is a huge blow to one's ego to publically admit that they don't know. And yet, it is a fact that there is a great deal that we do not know and will never know.

Sadly, this fear of admitting that we don't know something and stating it honestly has created layers upon layers of misinformation. I was recently researching a topic and came across some information that took me by surprise. Upon looking up the source, I found another book referenced. That book referenced yet another, and another, and another. When I finally reached the bottom of this particular rabbit hole, I found that all of these references were drawn on a VERY shaky conclusion made in a book that had never been taken seriously in the first place. But, even though it wasn't a fact, it supported someone's hypothesis, so they turned a blind eye to the facts to make them fit their hypothesis. Of course, to be fair, I have to ask myself, if that particular piece of information had not been so damaging to my own hypothesis, would I have dug as deep as I did to discover its illegitimacy?

We need to be honest with ourselves and with each other. Research is about finding truth, not getting our way. We need to become emotionally unattached and humble enough to present our findings. If everyone did this, it would allow for us to build on the honest research of others and for later generations to build on our honest research. I know that the day will never come that research can be trusted without any skepticism, but we can all do our part, and it begins with accepting that it's okay to say, 'I don't know'.

R

Ressam

That is certainly a good objective but perhaps not the end of the road.

The next question I would ask is: True to what?

Is truth is always relative to a standard e.g. a plumb line?

I am tempted to quote: There is no truth, only Life.

Truth is -- That helps your Soul Develop...

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I think you will find that is a logical operation.

If we are working in modulo 3, 2+2=11

In modulo 4, 2+2=10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modulo_operation

Personally I think the title of the thread is just fine.
ummm nope. Modulos deal with the remainders in division. I 3was talking about addidtion. doesn't apply here. even still if it did the answer to 5/2 is 2 with a remainder of 1.

now if you were trying to talk about this...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_arithmetic
you are still wrong as 2+2 in mod 3 would equal 1 and in mod 4 2+2 would =4 But these aren't actual math problems. it is only used in things like the clock or something of the like where once you get to a certain number the numbers start over. Kinda like dividing a group in to smaller groups. Either way though 2+2 always equals 4 when counting integers!

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
Wow!!! This has gotten like sitting in a bar, next to college freshmen. What is the meaning of life? I am IMPRESSED!!! Very deep stuff but the answer is still 42. I thought this was for the Craft. I guess that I will just keep on trucking. See yuh 'round.
LOL - Please forgive me for replying - but..... Perhaps it might be worthwhile to consider the viewpoint that life does not have meaning, instead it has purpose. It may be that by finding and fulfilling one's purpose in life that life comes to have meaning. Meaning therefore could possibly be considered a constructed reality rather than a discovered reality.

Of course the value of a statement such as mine (If it has any value) is not in it's intrinsic truth, but rather in it's ability to assist in the search for truth.

BullDozer Harrell

Chances are, if you're a Mason, you've done some research. You may not have submitted a paper to Ars Quatuor Coronatorum, or even written a paper for your lodge, but you've probably at least read a book or two on Masonic topics. During the course of that research or even just talking to other brothers, it has probably become quite obvious that our history and origins are a bit of a mystery. No doubt, you've heard many different ideas about where Freemasonry came from. And, if you've done much research and thought about what you're reading objectively, it's almost certain that you've come across a theory or two (or 20) that doesn't quite seem to stack up. So, what's happening here and why am I writing this post?

In general, most research is carried out (ideally) using the scientific method. For those who might need a reminder, the scientific method has a number of steps used for research. The first is to posit a question. "Where did Freemasonry come from?" for instance. The question itself isn't important for our discussion. The next step is to state a hypothesis. "Freemasonry was introduced by aliens". At this point (and this is important), the hypothesis shouldn't be all that important. Well that seems like a strange statement. The hypothesis is the basis for all of our research, surely it has to be very important. It's not, and not only will I tell you why, but I'll also explain why this misunderstanding is so dangerous. But I digress. The next step after the hypothesis is stated is to collect data about your hypothesis. After this is done, the data is analyzed to determine if the facts support or refute your hypothesis. This is another hugely important step and here is one of the biggest difficulties that researchers have; they must try their hypothesis by the square of facts and present them in an unbiased nature. From there, a conclusion is made. Either the facts support the original hypothesis and this is stated, or they don't. Now, here is the important part that is too often missed and why I said that the hypothesis isn't all that important. If the facts do not support the hypothesis, the hypothesis should be amended and the cycle resumes, or the research is presented as a disproved hypothesis. If the former, then the cycle repeats until the hypothesis eventually fits the facts.

The problem is, that's not the way we typically see it working. Rather than amending the hypothesis until it fits the facts, we see authors amending the facts until it fits their hypothesis. Of course, we all know how damaging this is. It is the cause for the dissemination of so much misinformation that seems to be the norm in our society today. But why do they/we do this? Let's look back at that scientific method and assume that a researcher put forth a hypothesis, found data, analyzed it, and determined that the facts do not fit the hypothesis. Well, we all know that the right thing to do is to abandon the hypothesis. So, if the researcher was going to do the right thing, they would either publish their findings by publically announcing 'I was wrong' or they would start all over again with a new hypothesis. Researchers who state that their hypotheses are wrong might be doing good work, but their books aren't best sellers and they don't get invited to go on talk shows. Not only that, but some people see it as a shot to their ego. Why? Because they become emotionally attached to their hypotheses. They have shifted the priority away from finding truth and onto being right. So why not have both? Why not amend the hypothesis until it is proven right? Well, first, because that could take a VERY long time. Some books might take a lifetime to write so the idea of abandoning all of that work and starting over is just too much for some people. Second, because they have become emotionally attached to the hypothesis and refuse to let it go, regardless of the evidence. And third, and the crux of this discussion, because they might not be able to find an answer. This possibility strikes at all of the negatives discussed here. To say 'I don't know' means you must not only abandon a hypothesis that you might have grown attached to, but you're not even going to have a new one to cling to. This also means that all the work that you've put into it up to this point has not yielded a conclusion. In addition, nobody is going to listen to an interview or buy a book without a conclusion. And finally, because it is a huge blow to one's ego to publically admit that they don't know. And yet, it is a fact that there is a great deal that we do not know and will never know.

Sadly, this fear of admitting that we don't know something and stating it honestly has created layers upon layers of misinformation. I was recently researching a topic and came across some information that took me by surprise. Upon looking up the source, I found another book referenced. That book referenced yet another, and another, and another. When I finally reached the bottom of this particular rabbit hole, I found that all of these references were drawn on a VERY shaky conclusion made in a book that had never been taken seriously in the first place. But, even though it wasn't a fact, it supported someone's hypothesis, so they turned a blind eye to the facts to make them fit their hypothesis. Of course, to be fair, I have to ask myself, if that particular piece of information had not been so damaging to my own hypothesis, would I have dug as deep as I did to discover its illegitimacy?

We need to be honest with ourselves and with each other. Research is about finding truth, not getting our way. We need to become emotionally unattached and humble enough to present our findings. If everyone did this, it would allow for us to build on the honest research of others and for later generations to build on our honest research. I know that the day will never come that research can be trusted without any skepticism, but we can all do our part, and it begins with accepting that it's okay to say, 'I don't know'.
Oh so, it's true that 'Hope does springs eternally'.

Realistically if ever any man seperates himself emotionally from his work, then there's a very high probability that it would never be completed.

Why would you spend countless hours,days,months & maybe even years pursuing a line of research and not want it to at least 'feel right' to yourself first?

Whether true or not, we have this need as people.

Readers of any research have to be equally as responsible as the responsibility we tend to place on authors.

I think.

Sent from Android using My Freemasonry Pro App

Luigi Visentin

Realistically if ever any man seperates himself emotionally from his work, then there's a very high probability that it would never be completed.

Why would you spend countless hours,days,months & maybe even years pursuing a line of research and not want it to at least 'feel right' to yourself first?

Completely agree with you.
It is a danger I know, but it is one of the main reason why the main discoveries have been done, together with a huge number of failures, too!