My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live coverage of the situation in Egypt

Benton

Premium Member
How awesome. I only hope he will be replaced by a truly democratic government. I'm afraid it could end up being out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Martin O

Hmm, true Democracy, term limits, effective executive officers, a constitution built on the principles of benefitting it's citizens. Wonder where they can find inspiration for that.....

bgs942

Premium Member
I just pray Egypt does not turn out for President Obama what Iran turned out to be from President Carter's time.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
Hmm, true Democracy, term limits, effective executive officers, a constitution built on the principles of benefitting it's citizens. Wonder where they can find inspiration for that.....

Probably the same place a group of gentleman did 235 years ago as they sat together as equals and discussed such subjects.

It often floors me how how we are written out of history, especially considering the huge impact we've had on it in the last 250 years.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

I just pray Egypt does not turn out for President Obama what Iran turned out to be from President Carter's time.

I don't think it will. The Iranian Revolution wasn't one for freedom, it was one for oppression. The movement that was the revolution was a small violent part of the country that seixed control to force their rule on their people, not free them. Besides, Iran is shaking right now that they could be the next Egypt.

Plus in Egypt, one of the things that caught my attention in reading some of the reports was that reporters observed Muslim groups standing guard for Christian groups while they prayed, and Christian groups standing guard for Muslim groups while they prayed. Hopefully, they won't soon forget those sights and deeds. If ever there was a time in the Middle East to show once in for all that different religions can come together under the flag of democracy and tolerance, and all be the better for it, this is it.

bgs942

Premium Member
I hope that is the outcome. That part of the world is not in need of additional radical anything.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
I would like to think that part of the world is quickly losing patience with radical groups. I hope they start seeing Egypt as more of a roadmap. They didn't have to resort to suicide bombers or ambushing people. They protested, for the most part non-violently, and their fair and reasonable demands were met. Of course most of those radical groups don't have fair or reasonable demands, so there lies the problem.

bgs942

Premium Member
So true. Freedom is not free and takes hard work. That would be a great roadmap , as you stated, for future groups to follow.

jwhoff

Premium Member
The answer is a middle class. There does appear to be a ground swell among the youth of Egypt. I can't but help having a good feeling about the youth of the future. Let's hope that in Egypt, here, and elsewhere they keep reaching for the light.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
jwhoff said:
The answer is a middle class. There does appear to be a ground swell among the youth of Egypt. I can't but help having a good feeling about the youth of the future. Let's hope that in Egypt, here, and elsewhere they keep reaching for the light.

My response is that I've seen long videos and lectures on the past history of politics of Egypt... Guys that have been studying it for years. All I really get from it is 'there is no way we can understand this at all.' This situation in the middle east (like that of china's political situation) is completely foreign to us. Only history will tell us whether this is 'good' or 'bad.'

jwhoff

Premium Member
My response is that I've seen long videos and lectures on the past history of politics of Egypt... Guys that have been studying it for years. All I really get from it is 'there is no way we can understand this at all.' This situation in the middle east (like that of china's political situation) is completely foreign to us. Only history will tell us whether this is 'good' or 'bad.'

Well said. It's the old goose and gander proverb. What's good for one may be intolerable for another. At the same time, hope reigns supreme.