My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonic Quiz

Beathard

Premium Member
Correct Jason...

Next Question:
In the "old charges" as quoted by Anderson: "A mason is obligated by his tenure to observe the moral law as a true Noachidae."
What is a Noachidae?

Mac

Premium Member
Correct Jason...

Next Question:
In the "old charges" as quoted by Anderson: "A mason is obligated by his tenure to observe the moral law as a true Noachidae."
What is a Noachidae?
A descendant of Noah. It was another name for the Freemasons prior to the introduction of the Hiramic legend.

Beathard

Premium Member
Correct Mac! Next question:
What is the Collegia Fabrorum and how does "tres faciunt collegium" apply to our third degree?

Last edited:

Beathard

Premium Member
Correct Mac! Next question:
What is the Collegia Fabrorum and how does "tres faciunt collegium" apply to our third degree?

Can't believe we did not get an answer on this one. The rule established by the Collegia Fabrorum, or Workmen's Colleges, were established in Rome by Numa. They resemled guilds which sprang up during the middle ages. The rule established by theur founder, that not less than three could constitute a college --tres faciunt collegium-- has been retained in the regulations of the third degree of masonry.

NEXT QUESTION: According to G:M: T.E. "Gene" Carnes, what is the ultimate symbolism of "untempered mortar"? (hint read the Blogs)

Last edited:

Beathard

Premium Member
The Gene Carnes question is still outstanding. HINT: Read the Blanco Blog.

Here is another question to be working on as well:
When a petition for initiation is read in the Lodge, a) when can a protest be filed?, b) who does it have to be filed with?, and c) after filing the protest can the protestor vote on the petition?

chancerobinson

A protest can be filed before the vote is taken with the Master of the Lodge. After filing the protest the brother can attend the meeting in which the vote is to be taken on the petition, but his attendance nullifies his protest giving him the opportunity to vote his conscience. Assuming I answered the question correctly for the most part, I have a question

The following is more conjecture than anything. (I have an answer I would like to hear yours):

Why might the Ephraimites have been of a different tongue? (After all they were one of the twelve tribes of Israel)

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Protests can also be filed after petitions for the Degrees, advancement, reinstatement, or restoration have been balloted upon. In the case of a petition for the Degrees or advancement, the protest must be made prior to conferral of the degree.

Art. 423. (462). When and By Whom Made.
Any member of a Lodge in this jurisdiction may protest, either orally or in writing, a candidate for any degree, either before or after his election.

Beathard

Premium Member
chancerobinson said:
Why might the Ephraimites have been of a different tongue? (After all they were one of the twelve tribes of Israel)

Here is my answer. Sorry about the length.

It is a curious instance of dialectic difference of pronunciation between the East and West Jordanic tribes. There is evidence that the sound "sh" passed into the Hebrew from the East of Jordan, possibly from the Arabians, with whom the sound is common. The West Jordanic tribes did not get this influence.

Judges 12:5-6 says "And the Gileadites took the passages of Jordan before the Ephraimites: and it was so, that when those Ephraimites which were escaped said, Let me go over; that the men of Gilead said unto him, Art thou an Ephraimite? If he said, Nay; Then said they unto him, Say now Shibboleth: and he said Sibboleth: for he could not frame to pronounce it right. Then they took him, and slew him at the passages of Jordan: and there fell at that time of the Ephraimites forty and two thousand."

The Trinity Foundation has a piece on linguistics and the Bible at http://www.trinityfoundation.org/journal.php?id=230 the following discusses the reason for the difference in the "s" and "sh" sounds: "The ability to speak and write is assumed from Genesis 1, but information about the analysis of sound occurs explicitly in Scripture; Judges 12 is an example of this. It is clearly indicated that "s" and "sh" indicate different sounds; if they did not, there would be no basis for the discrimination that clearly follows from the difference. The study of different sounds is called "phonetics." The difference between "s" and "sh" lies in where the tongue is placed in proximity to the roof of the mouth to make the sounds - toward the alveolar ridge for "s" and just throat-ward of the alveolar ridge for "sh." The Ephraimites could have been taught to pull their tongues back a short way in their mouths - the place of articulation is the only difference between the sounds. They are both sibilants (hissing sounds) and both unvoiced (without vibration in the vocal cords). This text also leads into phonology, which is the study of how languages treat the sounds that they have. "Shibboleth" and "sibboleth" are the same word. The narrator in this text says that the Ephraimites were pronouncing "Shibboleth" incorrectly, not that they were saying a different word; in linguistic terms, the "s" and "sh" are allophonic, not phonemic, for the Gileadites and Ephraimites. In English, "s" and "sh" alone are enough to make different words: "Sip" and "ship," for example - they are phonemic sounds in English. In the language of Gilead/Ephraim, the sounds were recognizably different but did not make different words. An example of non-phonemic sound difference in English is the various sounds that we spell with "t." The sounds indicated by "t" in the words "tack," "stop," "liter," and "cat" are all different sounds. If someone uses the sound of the "t" sound in "tack" in the word "liter," English speakers will not get a different word (they will still understand the word "liter"), but they will suspect that the speaker is not a native speaker of English. These kinds of differences in sound, even though indicated with the same letter, are often difficult for people to learn in other languages."

Beathard

Premium Member
Protest question: Very good answers. It is important to remember that the protest counts as a blackball vote. Three are currently required in Texas to prevent election. You cannot vote and file a protest since this would be the same as voting twice.

chancerobinson

Interesting thoughts on the Ephraimites. My connection was the fact that while all of the Israelites spent time in Egypt, Ephraim and Manasseh, the sons of Joseph each had for his mother the daughters of Pharaoh. I also read this morning on a Jewish history web site that Ephraim and Manasseh were given the status of "independent tribes".

Might this difference in pronunciation have been attributed to the Arabians east of the Jordan, or to the Egyptians from which the Ephraimites can trace their ancestry, or maybe both.

Beathard

Premium Member
Next question: When was the FIRST petition for a lodge in Texas sent, by whom was it sent, where was it sent, and what was the result?

kwilbourn

A group of Masons petitioned the Yorkino Grand Lodge of Mexico in 1828. Stephen F. Austin was named to be the first Master. The charter was lost and the lodge never founded.

Beathard

Premium Member
Bingo! Good job kwilbourn.

Next Question: Who owned and what makes the Ragains Rifle special?

Last edited:

kwilbourn

That's in the candidate's guide I received this week and read for the second time over lunch today. I was surprised to see something I knew! I'll leave posing the next question to one of the more learned individuals on MoT

tomasball

Premium Member
The Ragains rifle has been in the Ragains family since David Ragains in the 1860's. It is beautifully inlaid with masonic emblems.