My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonic Quiz

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
I am not aware of any that were. I have read stories of some that were suspected of being a Mason. Of course, I could be wrong too and that would not surprise me at all.

Beathard

Premium Member
While we are waiting on someone to answer the popes question, here is another:

What is the definition of the word Jachin?
(28:6)

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
lol i think that's a YAHD, coach!

if i remember correctly, chalk was used to facilitate the flow of molten brass, charcoal was used to heat the clay to extract the ore... but tbh, coach, I hadn't even connected those uses with HA until your question! very cool.
Hints:
1) Chalks are limestones (compounds used for a specific reason),
2) Clays are used for vessals (and a specific vessal that is symbolized by the Masonic apron at ease),
3) Charcoal is heated to do something but when it is heated, it creates a specific acid.

Brother Jason Eddy

Hints:
1) Chalks are limestones (compounds used for a specific reason),
2) Clays are used for vessals (and a specific vessal that is symbolized by the Masonic apron at ease),
3) Charcoal is heated to do something but when it is heated, it creates a specific acid.

Though I can't speak in detail (as I have no in depth knowledge of the subject), would it be an Alchemical reference?

Beathard

Premium Member
Brent Heilman said:
Jachin as a name means he who strengthens and makes steadfast

I have seen your definition. But I've also seen a different definition This is the one that I have, they are probably both correct. They are very similar.

It is derived from two Hebrew words Jah God, and iachin. Signifying God will establish.

Beathard

Premium Member
Answer to the pope question:
Pope Pius IX was reputed to have been a mason, as was Pope Benedict the XIV who is said to have affiliated while a plain priest in his native Bologna. He was elected Pope August 16, 1740, when he was 65 years old.

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
I remember now seeing somewhere about the rumors of Pope Pius IX and Pope Benedict XIV. The article dealt with some of the reasons that it was suspected they were and also why they may not have been. It was a good read on the history of the Catholic Church and Freemasonry.

Beathard

Premium Member
Question: Who was Joseph Brant and why would there be a question about him here?

No takers on this one?

Last edited:

Beathard

Premium Member
Fantastic answer MikeMay!

Here is the next question I have: What was the Baltimore Convention?
(171:16)

Beathard

Premium Member
No answer for 3 days... I will go ahead and answer this one and put up another.

The Baltimore Convention was a masonic congress which met in the city of Baltimore, May 8th, 1843. It consisted of delegates from thirteen states and the District of Columbia, for the purpose of establishing a uniformity in the work. It continued in session for nine days in an effort to perfect the ritual, and form a national Grand Lodge to meet every three years. Too much bitterness entered into the controversy, however, and it is doubtful that a national Grand Lodge will ever be established.

Next question:
Who were the Athol Masons? (149:1)

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
No answer for 3 days... I will go ahead and answer this one and put up another.

The Baltimore Convention was a masonic congress which met in the city of Baltimore, May 8th, 1843. It consisted of delegates from thirteen states and the District of Columbia, for the purpose of establishing a uniformity in the work. It continued in session for nine days in an effort to perfect the ritual, and form a national Grand Lodge to meet every three years. Too much bitterness entered into the controversy, however, and it is doubtful that a national Grand Lodge will ever be established.

Next question:
Who were the Athol Masons? (149:1)

If I am not mistaken that was another name given to the Antients due to the fact that their Grand Masters were the Dukes of Atholl. I recall some of that from my genealogy research into the Stewart Clan side of my family.

Beathard

Premium Member
Bingo... Brent, you are pretty knowledgable!

The Masons who, in 1752, seceded from the Grand Lodge of England and established themselves under the name of Ancient Masons. In 1776 they elected the Duke of Athol their Grand Master, an office which he held until the union of the two Grand Lodges took place in 1813.

Next question:
What is the Ahiman Rezon? (150:9)

Last edited: