My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonic Tattoo

dfreybur

Premium Member
Why is it tattoos have been around for such a long time, and it is only in the recent years, masons and non masons alike are tattooing themselves with the square and compass? Perhaps the craft is loosing its way? I am not sure, but it is a very real question. And one that every mason should be asking themselves.

Tattoos in general were unpopular in the past. There's a line in the Old Testament telling Hebrews to not go painted like foreigners. It refers to tattoos. What has happened in society is the rules of the Old Testament are no longer treated with the force they once were. Treat this like dropping the need to keep Kosher but two millennia later if you wish; treat this like a decay in the force of churches if you wish. However you view it, views about tattoos change generation to generation. We can buck the trend and complain. We can follow the trend and join the herd. There are lots of ways to react.

I get that this only addresses the part of the question as to why tattoos in general have become more popular not why Masonic tattoos in specific have become more popular. Attempting to address the part about Masonic tattoos in specific I remember a line on my petition. It said that I wanted to become a Mason because I had "a positive opinion of Masonry". Being willing to put a symbol on my skin in a way that lasts the rest of my life sure counts as having a positive opinion to me.

I don't get why kids want to put on a symbol they have not earned. That's where I get stuck. I do get why they want to put on a symbol they have a very high opinion of. That's an issue that I find very hard to get, but I am trying to stretch myself and become a better man about. I'm reached a point where I'm okay with the positive opinion but I can't get past the haven't-earned-it part.

dfreybur

Premium Member
The symbols, such as the S&C, plumb, level, ashlars, etc. are NOT covered by what we are obligated not to reveal. They are openly displayed everywhere.

And yet, try going to a Stated meeting opened in the EA or FC degree and give a Masonic Education talk on the variations on PM jewels and how they all build on the changes in how the metal lights are arranged as we progress through our degrees. "There are EAs present so I'll skip the part about the FC jewel" and "We've all noticed that the outside of our buildings are marked with the S&C and how they are arranged so that's a public symbol ..."

We may not be obligated to keep it private but there are meanings that remain private even though the symbol is out there on big signs outside of our buildings. There is little or no education as to what is actually secret and many brothers take it very broadly as they have never be taught otherwise.

MMClark84

Not completely finished. I recently went through all the degrees of York Rite and Scottish Rite last year. I'd like to incorporate both of those Rites into it. ImageUploadedByMy Freemasonry HD1380603135.757592.jpg

My Freemasonry HD

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Interestingly enough, of all the Masonic images I would like to turn into a tattoo, the S&C by itself isn't one of them. I do want a set of Pillars, the Weeping Virgin, and some specific symbols from an appendant body. The only S&C I've considered is an image I found embossed on the spine of an old set of Mackey's Encyclopaedia...

compasssquare2 copy.jpg

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I use it on my Masonic "business" cards, as well. It has been my favourite since the first time I saw it.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
And yet, try going to a Stated meeting opened in the EA or FC degree and give a Masonic Education talk on the variations on PM jewels and how they all build on the changes in how the metal lights are arranged as we progress through our degrees. "There are EAs present so I'll skip the part about the FC jewel" and "We've all noticed that the outside of our buildings are marked with the S&C and how they are arranged so that's a public symbol ..."

We may not be obligated to keep it private but there are meanings that remain private even though the symbol is out there on big signs outside of our buildings. There is little or no education as to what is actually secret and many brothers take it very broadly as they have never be taught otherwise.
I agree.

Emblems =/= Symbols.

Everyone has seen our working tools in the operative sense. To think otherwise is foolish. It is the speculative meanings we have to be weary of.

You can put what you want on your body so long as you do not spell out what the symbols mean. IE get a Square on your body but do not define it in the speculative sense. That would be pushing it IMHO.

Last edited:

hoosierclone

I have one tattoo, it is a crossed pick axe and anchor, laying over the top of an opened book. The only people that know what it represents are myself and my close friends and family. However the only person who really knows what they mean is ME.

Much the same as I see it with a S&C tattoo, the outside world can see, people will know that you are a FreeMason because of it, however only you and your Brothers in Masonry will know what it means.

In short I see no problem with the tattoos, however I will also say that I am only an FC and I have not been enlightened to many things.

Sent From My Freemasonry Mobile App

brother josh

ImageUploadedByMy Freemasonry Pro1395589934.606363.jpg
Before
ImageUploadedByMy Freemasonry Pro1395590050.413229.jpg
After
Went from jail house lookin ink
To a work of art thanx to Jerry from American tradition tattoo studio louisville ky

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App