My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Masonic Wedding

If possible, would you have a Masonic Wedding

• Yes. We have a Masonic Burial so why not.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • No.

Votes: 37 42.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Not sure, depends on what she wants.

Votes: 19 21.6%

• Total voters
H

Huw

Absolutely not!

It is my opinion, that we should keep apart all religious and also social/public ceremonied from masonic rituals.

Yep, that's basically why I'm against it.

Incidentally, this is also approximately why UGLE prohibits masonic funerals as irregular: we regard such matters as the business of a man's Church, not his Lodge.

T & F,

Huw

Benton

Premium Member
Incidentally, this is also approximately why UGLE prohibits masonic funerals as irregular: we regard such matters as the business of a man's Church, not his Lodge.

Curious, then how does the UGLE regard the fact that, to my knowledge, the majority of, if not all, American lodges have an optional funeral ceremony.

H

Huw

Hi John.

Curious, then how does the UGLE regard the fact that, to my knowledge, the majority of, if not all, American lodges have an optional funeral ceremony.

If other GLs decide to do it, and I know that many do, then obviously that's their own business. You can deduce from its own rule that UGLE disagrees, but I'm sure UGLE wouldn't wish to make any public comment about other people's internal business (unless perhaps we were discussing some major issue which could affect the fraternal relationship, which obviously this isn't).

I deliberately mentioned it because it's an interesting issue on which different GLs take different views. Once upon a time, masonic funerals were sometimes performed in England, but UGLE banned them a long time ago. I think the underlying point is that UGLE is particularly keen to avoid being mistaken for a sect or religion, and therefore steers very well clear of anything which might look even slightly like performing a religious service in the place of a man's church (or synagogue or whatever).

T & F,

Huw

Frater Cliff Porter

Premium Member
Huw if you are against Masonry having weddings, are you okay with the State or government doing weddings? I am just curious if weddings are in fact religious, why we are comfortable with the mixing of religion and the state?

And...if weddings are the work of religion, should irreligious people or areligious people be entitled to marriage?

Frater Cliff Porter

Premium Member
And....is swearing an oath before God the work of religion, prayer, circumabulation of an altar adorned with a holy book....

and what about our terms...

Calvin was the first person on record to ever call God the Great Architect of the Universe....should we surrender this term to the Presbyterians....not our business?

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Site Benefactor
I'd firstly ask the permission of the Grand Master of my Grand Lodge and also of my bride-to-be.

Bill Hosler

My last wedding was a Knights Templar wedding. The ceremony was conducted in our assylum by a past commander who is a retired Methodist minister. It was a great evening. The reception was held at the local Shrine temple med_gallery_15_9_57021.jpg

gallery_15_9_13746.jpg

Cigarzan

Premium Member

Masonic funerals are in step with and a conclusion to what our Master's Carpet teaches. Weddings have nothing to do with Masonry. Half of the couple will still be in the dark. I guess I don't see the point or need.

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
For me, no.

The way I see it, I was in ROTC back in school, and was on the color guard, drill team, and honor guard. I experienced lots of cermony...football games, parades.. Same in the Army - funerals, graduations, parades, promotions, what have you. And in masonry, it is constant. I get and have got my fair share of ceremony.

So that day is my wife's, and deserves a day where I don't crowd her with my pursuits. It is enough that she is extremely supportive of what I do. I'd have nothing whatever take the spotlight from her, not an apron, not a fez, not a lapel pin.

I've been married for 16 years, and at 20 we'll have a ceremony to reaffirm our vows. She is active up at the Shrine, so if she asks, great. But I'm not suggesting it. Like I say, she is the star of that show.

Just my own way of doin things, not sayin its the only way :)

Benton

Premium Member
Masonic funerals are in step with and a conclusion to what our Master's Carpet teaches. Weddings have nothing to do with Masonry. Half of the couple will still be in the dark. I guess I don't see the point or need.

I was a bit off topic, but if you go back and read Huw's post that I was responding to, he mentions that the UGLE regards Masonic funerals as irregular. I was curious as to how they feel about the fact that many jurisdictions with which they have very regular relations with have an 'irregular' ceremony according to them.

Star Mztyk

Not to be mixing apples and oranges here at the fruit market....but my mother passed away back in March and by pre-arrangement she got an OES funeral .....which was the only Masonic body of affiliation that she belonged to. Some pun slightly intended....she was the Star of that show.

Phre-massen.nash

May 2, 2004 I had the most beautiful Masonic wedding. It is as beautiful as getting you 1st degree. My wedding was inside a Masonic Lodge, with my brothers, friends and family.

cleighty

i voted no. i think it would be great to have a masonic wedding but it would mean more to me than her and that day should be one that is ment for both of us. ok i will be relistic her. lol

Bill Hosler

A PM once said to me the day you are raised is your one day when you are the star. Your graduation you share with your entire class. Your wedding is all about her, you are just there as supporting cast. That is why he was against raising multiple men during the MM degree.

I know this has nothing to do with the topic but it made me think of that quote.

MajaOES

Writer
Premium Member
Ok well I am defining Masonic here as in the masonic ideals and environment. Not specifically to a particular sect of masonry. In my case if I were to get married, I want it in a lodge room were both me and my husband spend a great deal of time with our friends. I think its something to celebrate and if you spend as much time at lodge as I do then its almost like being married in your home. :) I think having a theme incorporated into the marriage ceremony that was masonic would be beautiful because we all take obligations to the orders we belong to, I believe that it just ensures that those obligations we take to the order we take with our spouse as well. If both parties are not engaged in masonic activity then I would say that having a masonic wedding would not be a good idea.

jwhoff

Premium Member
Hello in there Brother tom268. Long time, no chat.

I was surprised at a tie vote at this stage. 37 each for and against and 17 "leave it up to the spouse." Much divided opinion out there. Personally, I voted to leave it up to the wife. It is her day. But there appears to be no clear trend to work with here. Love to see the demographics, were that possible.