Mediocrity in Masonry

Discussion in 'Masonic Blogs' started by Bloke, Aug 4, 2016.

1. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

I am sure we have all been at Masonic rituals that have felt flat. If this happens too often the brethren get bored and converse during the ritual and eventually stop coming.

So what makes some ritual events feel vibrant and others not?

2. pointwithinacircle2

pointwithinacircle2 Rapscallion Premium Member

In the simplest of terms, it is either something external to myself or internal to myself. If I chose to believe that it is external to me I have very little power to change or improve it. If I chose to believe that it is something internal to myself I am the only one who can change it. This is why I always look for the problem inside myself first. If the meeting is dull it is because I have failed to offer something interesting. In many ways the man who takes responsibility is the man who has the power to change the situation.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  3. JamestheJust

If Masonic Science exists as a "science of morality" (to quote Mackey) then it may well have effects outside the individual.

Would that be part of the genuine secrets?

4. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

drw72 likes this.
  5. JamestheJust

If only we knew how to make them better.

6. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

I've never found Masonry or Masons to be mediocre. Freemasonry however does lend itself to mediocre Freemasons quite well.

Bill Lins likes this.
  7. Ripcord22A

coachn likes this.
  8. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

Yeah it is! I was always more comfortable in that smaller room, though I loved having the big one to myself some evenings. A lot of good memories and bittersweet reminders in that room.

9. coachn

Yes. Yes I do. U know what i mean?

Ripcord22A likes this.
  10. Ripcord22A

I do coach. Masonry is the internal and Freemasonry is what we do in the lodge ritual excetera excetera

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

coachn likes this.
  11. coachn

LOL! Close enough ;)

12. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Very wise words. I'm going to try to live by them myself and see what I can do to improve the material in our meetings.

13. coachn

I disagree with this binary conclusion.

If meetings are dull, they are dull. Dullness is systemic and a group failure. It is also a failure on the part of the individual to choose to participate in something that is systemically cultural and ultimately and routinely unfulfilling.

I did not join to be the entertainment director, but find that I wind up being one out of shear boredom and tedious and unwavering routine.

That's why I'm the musician (and unofficial noise maker!). It took responsibility in another direction... woopie cushion anyone? :D

Warrior1256 likes this.

Share My Freemasonry