My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No they did not.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Well I got my Texas Mason today and I was shocked to say the least. I am used to finding NOTHING educational in this magazine just celebrations of what our Brothers of the past have done and left to us. Stories of how old a lodge is and still uses the same building or about an addition to the museum, maybe a photo or two of a new EA, multiple pages asking for money and messages about how we are growing and doing great. I do believe all this information is vital for us to know and should be in there but it should take a back seat to the broadcasting of education especially on the subject of Masonry. I believe the straying from this has left us all without a real clue of what we are apart of and are trying to do. Hence crazy resolutions like #9, people not thinking we can talk to Prince hall Masons, bigotry and a confedrate flag on the cover of our only publication as TX Masons. Nice GL real nice way to show the world we are not a bunch of bigots by putting the Confedrate flag on the cover of our magazine. I am a supporter of hertiage but not at the expense of others if a group of individuals see a sign or flag as an emblem of hate we should respect that. I am not black and do not have relatives that i know of that were slaves under that flag contrary a few in my family died to see that flag fly but justice was not on their side and they lost and now a whole generation of black men and women see this as an emblem of hate just as the swatistka is looked upon. I do not want to see the flag moved to the basment or anythign dumb like that it has a place in history but I feel we should have beeter since than to put the confedrate flag on our cover like it has something to do with Masonry. Unbelievable.:cursing:

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
...and a confedrate flag on the cover of our only publication as TX Masons. Nice GL real nice way to show the world we are not a bunch of bigots by putting the Confedrate flag on the cover of our magazine. I am a supporter of hertiage but not at the expense of others if a group of individuals see a sign or flag as an emblem of hate we should respect that. I am not black and do not have relatives that i know of that were slaves under that flag contrary a few in my family died to see that flag fly but justice was not on their side and they lost and now a whole generation of black men and women see this as an emblem of hate just as the swatistka is looked upon. I do not want to see the flag moved to the basment or anythign dumb like that it has a place in history but I feel we should have beeter since than to put the confedrate flag on our cover like it has something to do with Masonry. Unbelievable.:cursing:

Wow! I was almost speechless.

Brother, lest we not forget our history or we Shall be doomed to repeat it.

Although I am not certain why the "Battle Flag" is at Grand Lodge insted of the more proper "First National" but its there. Possibly for the simple fact that it regarless of how "some" may see it, it IS Texas history and Texas Masonic History. Those who take offense to the flag are simply those who contenue to oppress themselves with general mass in lieu of individuality. The display of this flag was not done in poor taste. In fact, I would assume that the other Five flags that once flew over Texas before being annexed into the US are Also on display in the same hall. Could it be that the photographer was not trying to promote the flag, but the statue whom I believe is Stephen F. Austin. Quite simply put, an artistic moment in time captured on film.

I believe that everyone has a right to their own opinon and their own opinion their right. We Must remember however that our own rights and beliefs stop at our own feet, our private space; because once an individual "steps" into another's space what was once ours belongs to them.

The Brothers who died defending the "First National" under the "Stars and Bars" for what ever reason should not be reduced to the level of Men without a Country. It is my opinion and would be thiers that the flag belongs in the museum (where it is displayed) in honor of them. Brothers in Masonry sacrificed for their "country" what was then the Republic of Texas in alliance with the Confederacy. That flag means as much to those fallen Brethren as the Texas Flag, Gonzalas Flag, San Jacinto Flag, Bonnie Blue Flag, and most importantly the United States Flag to others including myself.

Just my two cents Brethren, but I don't see a need to blow everything out of porportion. We have bigger battles to fight within the War of media & the profane.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
I agree the magazine is lacking, but it has potential to be a wonderful publication. How many of you have submitted articles or news information? As with anything, we get what we put into it.

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Those who take offense to the flag are simply those who contenue to oppress themselves with general mass in lieu of individuality.

Or because they are educated about the fact that the battle flag was heavily promoted and became more popular than in confederate time in opposition to the civil rights movement and during the era of quite a few murders attempting to quell freedom in this country. Most of the states promoting confederate flags recently didn't have battle star state flags during the confederacy, but only during the civil rights movement.

Or, they are offended due to the fact that the letter of secession of Texas, referred to the "an unnatural feeling of hostility to these Southern States and their beneficent and patriarchal system of African slavery, proclaiming the debasing doctrine of equality of all men, irrespective of race or color-- a doctrine at war with nature, in opposition to the experience of mankind, and in violation of the plainest revelations of Divine Law."
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_texsec.asp

I don't think you can call that expression masonic, much less American. (Not to say the opposite side wasn't supremacist as well, but this is a defining document of the Texas Confederacy - our history.)

I am not oppressing myself with the general mass. I am aware of the ratified statement of why Texas seceded and the stated principals of that state entity and how the battle flag became to be put in state flag symbols during the civil rights movement over those original state symbols.

And, as a new mason if this is on it's way and it is tasteless, I will have a creative response. I haven't seen this. Is it automatic after being a mason or subscribed to?

As far as an artistic response to seeing Stephen F with a flag behind him.. I buy that a lot more than the constant stereotype (and slur) of "oppressing" ourselves. A few of us do that, but not many.

What is masonic is being peaceful citizens and defending our nation, however it should be defined. Another reasonable expression of why this is a reasonable expression on the cover. Pike, from what I understand, fought for the confederacy, but didn't like its principals and suffered in confederate ranks for that.

As a Black man, that would have been limited to me or available mostly through exploitative means (like freeing myself or my family). In certain jurisdictional expressions today, I get the impression I might have to cease being a mason to comply to their needs. Or by brothers crossing the border would have to.

The men who died for the confederacy, especially those who believed in equality but risked or died anyway, don't deserve to die without a country as you said.

But, neither do the men, women and children who served their lives under servitude to be violate the "debasing doctrine of equality of all men". (A large number buy the way)

And neither do those who died during the lives of many of those living today, just for standing up for equality or mildy behave like equal human beings - against the symbol which came into wild popularity during the ciivl rights movement.

jonesvilletexas

Premium Member
Confederate Flag Controversy
by Borgna Brunner
The 'Southern Cross'

The "Southern Cross"

The Confederate battle flag, called the "Southern Cross" or the cross of St. Andrew, has been described variously as a proud emblem of Southern heritage and as a shameful reminder of slavery and segregation. In the past, several Southern states flew the Confederate battle flag along with the U.S. and state flags over their statehouses. Others incorporated the controversial symbol into the design of their state flags. The Confederate battle flag has also been appropriated by the Ku Klux Klan and other racist hate groups. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, more than 500 extremist groups use the Southern Cross as one of their symbols.

jonesvilletexas

Premium Member
I do not condone racism, but I do not hold with the Confederate flag issue. If the flag reminds you of slavery, then why not do away with cotton, wooden ships that brought slaves to this country, plantations in the south, just where you draw the line. It may be another two generations before me see true integration.

Last edited:

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
I agree the magazine is lacking, but it has potential to be a wonderful publication. How many of you have submitted articles or news information? As with anything, we get what we put into it.

I did, and it was never published, nor was I given a reason why. Given that we can't be members of Philalethes as Texas Masons our publishing avenues are kind of limited. Thankfully they started The Masonic Society, as far as I know that is acceptable to be a member of, with the numerous PGM of Texas that have joined recently.

-Bro Vick

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
I do not condone racism, but I do not hold with the Confederate flag issue. If the flag reminds you of slavery, then why not do away with cotton, wooden ships that brought slaves to this country, plantations in the south, just where you draw the line. It may be another two generations before me see true integration.

For the same reason those holding to their heritage don't hold to the *actual* state flags instead of the ones made popular during the civil rights era to combat civil rights.

Also, while descendants of slaves are asked to put it behind them, those who wave the flag aren't asked to do the same.

Cotton and slave ships do remind people of slavery, but they also weren't (aren't) propped up over state houses and waved around as symbols of the good old days. Keep in mind many of those states with battlees over this issue also are states that put Confederate holidays on or next to MLK Day - to provide "balance"....

I don't think the flag should be banned wholesale either, but it should at least be used in its actual context, including the historical use and principles endorsed and expressed in the various letters of secession.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member

I have submitted 3 or 4 things but never got any kind of response it has been awhile since I have tried again but almost seemed futile, I have hope for it though and will never quit trying.

owls84

Premium Member
Its a joke. Just like Resolution #9. I don't get suprised anymore. Poor Taste. Pretty much sums up what I have been thinking but due to our Glorious Art. 505 where it is an offense to say something bad about our MOST WORSHIPFUL GRAND LODGE OF TEXAS I have to keep my mouth shut. But the good news is I can be an open racist and there is nothing the GL can do about it. Just a joke. Now its humorous.

You can try to defend this all you want but I am not buying how our history is the flag. My question is, WHY? Why put it on the cover? What was gained by it? What could possible come from having it? Why not a Texas Flag? Why not a Masonic Flag? It is a JOKE. The plus side our membership is over 70. God is testing my patience for sure.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
i as well don't mind the cross of st andrew on the front of the magazine.

1st of all, the cross of st andrew is used in other places in masonry as well (Knights of St Andrew - Scottish Rite).

2nd, if any reminder of slavery is enough to get your panties in a twist, you're overly sensitive. it's a real part of our history, might as well be reminded of it from time to time and learn what lessons we can instead of denying that it even exists.

but otherwise, i'm with blake, if you don't submit articles to the GL magazine, then that's a great idea to try to improve it.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
For the same reason those holding to their heritage don't hold to the *actual* state flags instead of the ones made popular during the civil rights era to combat civil rights.

I beg to differ sir. I proudly hold on to my American and Southern Heritage. If you were to come by my place of residence you will find a collection of flags very historically accurate. Among them: The CSA First National (real stars and bars), the CSA Second National, the CSA Third National, the Bonnie Blue, a CSA First National replica that was captured at the Battle of Pea Ridge (has Jeff Davis sewn into the white bar), General Sterling Price's personal flag, the Texas Flag, and the Gonzalas Flag. The only copy of the "Battle Flag" is actually the reversed colored CSA Army of Trans Mississippi Flag (blue back ground w/ red bars). Oh wait, I do have a "Battle Flag" its a Field Artillery version perfectly square w/ white borders. All of which are historically accurate State Flags or CSA military versions. The two that mean the most to me is the replica of the First National that was captured at Pea Ridge (on display in Washington D.C.), and Price's. Both of which my direct Masonic Ancestor (4th Great Grandfather) fought and died for and under. Brother Stewart was no racist by any means, simply a farmer doing his duty to what was then his country.

It is not his fault nor mine that hate groups degrade the flags once so proudly honored. I will not punish him by hiding either. I do agree however that the 3x5 version of the Battle Flag sold in stores today is minimally historically accurate and widely abused. I personally take offense to the statement that loops me or anyone else into a general population of hate.

My point in all of this is not to start a heated debate to which no one will win, but to once again say that the image captured was and is in good taste and not deserving of tremendous negitive feedback. There are other avenues within the fraternity more deserving of our time and energy.

Last edited:

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
I am not saying the that flag should not be in out GL, I believe it should be and when I look upon the confedrate flag I am not just reminded of slavery as I said I have blood relatives that fought and died in that war on both sides so I see much more than just slavery but in lieu of the times and race being such an issue at this time I believe we could have used better judgment. I am in no way saying either this was done as a statment as I believe it was either by accident or meant for historical purposes by someone who did not know better in any case there are far less contraversal pics we could have used.
What is the diffrence in Germany flying the Nazi flag to remember? What makes the confedrate flag okay?
I see both of these flags needing to take their righful place in the pages of our history books and museums not publicly adorned.

owls84

Premium Member
See my problem isn't that it is on there, it is why? Everyone here knows there is a negetive feel with that flag and in a time we should be reaching out and able to display this at Lodges around the state I feel it was a poor use of the Magazine. Did we not have a contest for photos across Texas? Why not use that instead? I just want to know why when we have so much more to offer than this? Poor taste in my opinion, but we know what they say about opinions.

As far as the articles I too have submitted to have our website in the Magazine and contacted the editor and was told he liked our site but it never made it.

Sirius

Brothers in Masonry sacrificed for their "country" what was then the Republic of Texas in alliance with the Confederacy.

As a seventh generation Texan, I'm proud of Texas. My family is an original land grant family. My grandfather was at the battle of San Jacinto. The Republic of Texas joined the US and was no more. Texas was a state in the confederacy. This period was not a bright and shining moment for Texas, especially since Texas isn't a 'Southern' state, except by virtue of joining a criminal rebellion.

Last edited:

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
2nd, if any reminder of slavery is enough to get your panties in a twist, you're overly sensitive. it's a real part of our history, might as well be reminded of it from time to time and learn what lessons we can instead of denying that it even exists.

I don't think that is the issue at all. Grand Lodge knows of the serious racism issues that plague multiple lodges across the state, and this is very poor timing and taste considering what is going on in many lodges. Definitely sends the wrong message.

Sirius

7th generation? That's cool. I've got nothin like that.

I've even got parts of the wagon wheel that brought them. My Mom has tons of stuff. I'm not just proud of my Texas heritage. My Texas heritage is part of my very essence. My heart beat Texas Our Texas, which I know the words to.

I say that to say this, Sam Houston was right!

I don't think that is the issue at all. Grand Lodge knows of the serious racism issues that plague multiple lodges across the state, and this is very poor timing and taste considering what is going on in many lodges. Definitely sends the wrong message.

I haven't gotten my TM yet. From the way yall talk it a photo of the CSA flag in the lobby of the GL? Can someone scan it and put it up?

I agree Tom, it does seem like they had some better options for a cover.

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
I haven't received mine, and haven't for almost two years. For some reason, when I moved, they never changed my address down there after I called, e-mailed, and sent them regular mail requesting they do so. Maybe it is for the better.

Like Sonny, my folks have been here forever too. I had 13 of my ancestors fight for the south in the Civil War, 6 of whom died in it, and several of whom owned slaves. Remembering heritage is great, but reliving it is another thing. The war is over. The south lost. Move on. If we are going to have a historical piece on the cover of our mag, let's at least get the flags right, as someone already pointed out. And, does this really need to be on the cover to begin with?

Last edited: