My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

(Over)dressing the part?

David612

I think it depends on the culture of the lodge, I mean it’s a bit silly to show up full evening wear to eat off paper plates.
Here it’s black tie, tails optional.
That said I would love to attend a daylight lodge to have an excuse good enough to wear my morning suit.

hanzosbm

Premium Member
For the brothers who can't be bothered to change out of their shorts for a lodge meeting, how do they dress for church?

CLewey44

Just out of curiosity, if I were to visit a US lodge (with which the Grand Lodge of Denmark shares amity, of course) - how would it be viewed if I showed up in complete Swedish Rite gear (coattails, dress shoes, Black vest and white butterfly + gloves and my various medalje and other insignia)?
Brotherly regards
- Søren

Greetings, it would depend on the lodge culture. I've seen (unfortunately and I mention this a lot) a guy being raised in shorts and an AC/DC t-shirt. I've see people in cargo pants turning in their FC categorical lecture etc (in which he should have been 'nayed' due to how bad it was; unreal). Then again, we have some lodges that are more suit and tie and even others such as what we call Traditional Observance lodges, that everyone is in a dark suit/tux and even some coattails etc. It would depend on the expectations of that lodge. If you do visit an area, a lot of lodges have websites that can give you an idea about attire or expectations of visitors. Another difference here, and you may know this, is that we typically wear just a plain, white lambskin apron vs. the Euro-style or Canadian-style. This doesn't apply to everyone but to most "sideliners" and visitors.

chrmc

Just out of curiosity, if I were to visit a US lodge (with which the Grand Lodge of Denmark shares amity, of course) - how would it be viewed if I showed up in complete Swedish Rite gear (coattails, dress shoes, Black vest and white butterfly + gloves and my various medals and other insignia)?
Brotherly regards
- Søren

Soren,

As Clint says, I'd contact the lodge first and see what their general attire is. Normally a suit would be good to wear, but bring the lodge medals, and aprons etc. for sure. But remember that in the US, only the Master is covered, so no need to bring the hat.
Standard white apron is used for all degrees over here in Blue Lodge, but the Swedish Rite apron's are welcome.

Drop me a PM if need be, as I'm also a member of Grand Lodge of Denmark, and I'll help you out.

CLewey44

Thank your for your Swift answer, but am I reading it right that you don't wear different aprons corresponding to grade?

Sent from my Pixel XL using My Freemasonry mobile app
The apron is the same but worn a certain way. Our aprons don't have the rosettes for the most part. I have seen them worn, however, and I think they are becoming a bit more popular due to how good they look.

Wor.MikeKimball

I have foot neuropathy problems, and there are times that I just can't bear to put on anything but my sneakers. Does that mean I shouldn't go to Lodge?

If there are some that feel the answer is yes, I suggest that perhaps you should remember, " It is the internal qualifications and not the external, that make a truly good Mason.".

Sent from my Z986DL using My Freemasonry mobile app

CLewey44

Of course not, that is not the same as someone that simply chooses to not do so, W. Bro. Kimball. We all can have medical issues that emerge. Plus, they do make neuropathy dress shoes for folks that need them if you didn't want to wear sneakers while in your attire.

Wor.MikeKimball

Dear brother Mike Kimball. I am not the judge of you or your lodge. Your decisions on attire are a matter strictly concerning you, your lodge and the threefold great architect. After a brain hemmorrhage I am without fine motor skills in the entire left side of my body. I bring my dress shoes and have a brother help me tie my shoelaces in the dressing room. Whatever works. As long as you feel you are learning during lodge work, be pleased my brother.

Sent from my Pixel XL using My Freemasonry mobile app
Have no fear my Brother, I am always pleased with the work of Masonry. I was just making a point. I make no judgement of anybody, that is not my place in this life.

As far as the shoes go, my problem is that sometimes it causes a great deal of pain to wear a dressy type shoe, granted not always, so I don't always wear sneakers.

Sent from my Z986DL using My Freemasonry mobile app

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
As long as you feel you are learning during lodge work, be pleased my brother.
Absolutely
Just out of curiosity, if I were to visit a US lodge (with which the Grand Lodge of Denmark shares amity, of course) - how would it be viewed if I showed up in complete Swedish Rite gear (coattails, dress shoes, Black vest and white butterfly + gloves and my various medals and other insignia)?
You would be more than welcome in any of the lodges that I belong to or have attended. We would recognize that this is the normal wear for your lodge and it would be fine with us.

David612

Absolutely

You would be more than welcome in any of the lodges that I belong to or have attended. We would recognize that this is the normal wear for your lodge and it would be fine with us.
We are the same, members of other jurisdictions attend in their typical attire and are most welcome.

Keith C

Brotherly regards
- Søren

Here in PA you would be slightly overdressed, as we do everything differently than anyone else and we wear a BLACK tie with Tails - Sartorially scandalous, but it is how we do things nevertheless. Elected officers are expected to dress in tails, black vest, black tie, appointed officers should, but rarely do and most PMs do, but mostly because once you have this kit, where else can you wear it? Typical sideline dress is dark suit and necktie.

Also, it is discouraged to wear any emblem, pin, etc that is not Blue Lodge related and in that case only one should be worn at a time. This is not enforced at all from what I have seen. One man in our lodge has so many pins on his lapels he looks like the old photos of Idi Amin!

Elexir

Here in PA you would be slightly overdressed, as we do everything differently than anyone else and we wear a BLACK tie with Tails - Sartorially scandalous, but it is how we do things nevertheless. Elected officers are expected to dress in tails, black vest, black tie, appointed officers should, but rarely do and most PMs do, but mostly because once you have this kit, where else can you wear it? Typical sideline dress is dark suit and necktie.

Also, it is discouraged to wear any emblem, pin, etc that is not Blue Lodge related and in that case only one should be worn at a time. This is not enforced at all from what I have seen. One man in our lodge has so many pins on his lapels he looks like the old photos of Idi Amin!

I would actully argue that black tie is correct atleast for officers as they are working.