My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

(Over)dressing the part?

David612

I’ve gone from mechanic to tux in 15 minutes at the lodge. Don’t see why it’s an issue for so many people, but I’m not in their shoes.
Seeing as In The US there commonly is a meal ahead of lodge There should be some flexibility I’d imagine... shorts are more comfy however so I do understand.

Keith C

Seeing as In The US there commonly is a meal ahead of lodge There should be some flexibility I’d imagine... shorts are more comfy however so I do understand.

That is how our lodge works, dinner is served at 6:00pm Lodge opens at 7:00pm. Everyone is usually done eating by 6:30 so plenty of time to get changed if necessary. For us it isn't an issue, GL stipulates attire when we invite potential petitioners to dinner they are informed "Dress is suit and tie", it is repeated in the instructions for candidates to show up for the night of their EA degree. If we happen to have bretheran visit from other jurisdictions who may not be aware (why you would just show up without first making contact is beyond me) we have a few jackets and some ties on the coat rack in our downstairs dining room. For new officers we have at least a dozen tuxedos that can be taken and worn for as long as needed.

Thomas Stright

Premium Member
Honestly, that just boggles my brain. Even though I am a "young Mason" I am still very old school and wouldn't consider going to Lodge, Church, a business dinner, a wedding, or a funeral in anything other than a suit and tie.

No Problem, you would still be welcomed in our lodge.....;)

Paul Aquilina

Down here is Victoria Australia, We all wear dinner suites. Am travelling to Hawaii in the coming weeks. I will be attending lodge up there so I am having similar problems. Don't want to be too overdressed.

CLewey44

Down here is Victoria Australia, We all wear dinner suites. Am travelling to Hawaii in the coming weeks. I will be attending lodge up there so I am having similar problems. Don't want to be too overdressed.

I would certainly find a way to contact the lodge you plan on visiting to check on that. They may even have a website so you could just email or call them yourself to find out. However, if unable to contact them, I think overdressing is always better than underdressing. I'd rather come off pretentious than disrespectful.

David612

1F33628E-1A2D-4FCA-BDA6-41546E94A125.jpeg

Have a tailor add some satin lapels and you are good to go at a Hawaiian lodge, they did have the option of shorts...but that would be silly.
They say black goes with everything but I think a black tie may be out of place here...

More informal lodges would be a godsend while traveling but as a home lodge I find the ritual of putting on the dinner suit to be a great part of it all.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I only see Brothers with tails when had a function...looks nice, I like the Shriners Dress up...
Most of the lodges in my area have relaxed dress standards. Polo shirts and slacks being the norm. However, since I am Master of my mother lodge this year I do wear coat and tie since I am the "face" of the lodge.

acjohnson53

There is no such thing as over dressed when attending any Masonic function be it regular meeting, unless stated casual dress, then I'm sneakers and sweats for the most part, but I do wash my face and brush my teeth...LOL