My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petitioning

Randy81

Premium Member
Good afternoon. I'm submitting a petition to a local lodge and wanted advice on one of the questions. I was cited for drinking in public ten years ago. I in no way want to lie on my petition. Additionally, I don't want to hurt my chances of being voted favorably on. I'm 99.9% sure it wouldn't come up but don't want the .01% chance to bite me in my butt. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
If you have a security clearance (which you shouldn't be disclosing) then you know that non-disclosure can be the greater issue.

Randy81

Premium Member
I was honest on the petition. The investigation meeting went great. All three of them were awesome. My wife and I both enjoyed them. I think I will be good to go but I have one concern.

I'm in the military so obviously I move around every few years. I haven't been here a year so they said they had to ask about that. I would think this could be waived... Have you guys heard anything like this?

Plustax

Cited for drinking? Was that charged as a federal crime? I too was in military when I petitioned over 30yrs ago & don't recall having to state about petty charges. Should one state on paper about stealing MM's as a kid?

Randy81

Premium Member
Cited for drinking? Was that charged as a federal crime? I too was in military when I petitioned over 30yrs ago & don't recall having to state about petty charges. Should one state on paper about stealing MM's as a kid?

It's not an issue. The IC said they had to ask about me not having lived in the state for a year, because I just moved here in the summer.

I would think its waiver able since I'm serving active duty but am not sure.

cemab4y

Premium Member
Some Grand Lodges will waive the residency time, for a justification like military service or college education. Personally, I feel that a residency time requirement is obsolete in our modern mobile society.

Randy81

Premium Member
Some Grand Lodges will waive the residency time, for a justification like military service or college education. Personally, I feel that a residency time requirement is obsolete in our modern mobile society.

I think they will waive it. I forgot to mention that two of the guys in the IC were 60 year masons! I thought that was awesome!