My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proudest Moment As A Freemason

dfreybur

Premium Member
Several moments come to mind and it's hard to rate one over another -

Entering the building a Mister and leaving the building a Brother on the night I was initiated. A bigger deal to me than my Raising.

The first time I put on a hat, opened a lodge, initiated a Mister and shook his hand as a Brother. That hat may be made of cloth but the thing feels like it weighs a ton the first time.

Speaking at the microphone the first time at (California) GL in front of 1800 brothers. I took a stance again a suggestion by one of the best loved Masons of that generation - A ritual change proposed by the Grand Lecturer.

I had been dating a lady for three weeks when I invited her to the monthly lodge dinner. It was the annual Ladies Night for wives and widows. My blood relatives were 3 time zones away and I wanted her to know my family so I took her to lodge. As soon as we arrived they put us both to work and she loved being treated as family. More than one Brother took me aside and each conversation went like "You know this dinner is for wives, right?" "Yeah, I know". "That soon? Are you sure?". "Yeah, I'm sure". I waited until well after our 10th anniversary before I told my wife the meaning of this event from our first month of dating.

Being installed Worshipful Master the first time by the Grand Master. My parents had flown in to see the event.

Ducking into a lodge after the action had started so a close friend could hear my voice during one of his degrees, him not knowing I was going to be at his degree. We'd spent a year discussing Masonry over lunches before he petitioned.

When (Illinois) GL was about to vote on opening business on the EA degree, the DDGM said the Deputy GM wanted to talk. He asked me to speak in favor based on an article I had written for the state Masonic newspaper.

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Site Benefactor
Some of my proudest moments were when I was Raised, when I was installed as WM my first time, when I was dubbed and created a Sir Knight, and my first time knighting someone.

If I had to choose the proudest moment though, I'd have to say seeing the first Master Mason I Raised as Worshipful Master become go through the ranks and be installed as Worshipful Master takes the cake.

Bloke

Premium Member
I had been dating a lady for three weeks when I invited her to the monthly lodge dinner. It was the annual Ladies Night for wives and widows. My blood relatives were 3 time zones away and I wanted her to know my family so I took her to lodge. As soon as we arrived they put us both to work and she loved being treated as family. More than one Brother took me aside and each conversation went like "You know this dinner is for wives, right?" "Yeah, I know". "That soon? Are you sure?". "Yeah, I'm sure". I waited until well after our 10th anniversary before I told my wife the meaning of this event from our first month of dating.

That choked me up brother...

My proudest moment... man.. that's almost an impossible question.

Seeing the first guy I propose become a MM, but even more, watching him at lodge years after smiling talking to some other brother and him not really having the time to spend with me. Makes me smile. I was at his place today. He has another brother at his place the day before...

My first installation, watching a room full of guys and realizing they were there for me. Less proud, more honoured I guess. One level of happiness was especially for my proposer who I knew had invested a lot of time in me. RIP Brother....

My third installation - watching a room of about 120 people including family have the best time..... but listening to the visitors response given by my partner. She knows the lodge well and it was an inspired choice, she spoke so well.... hit the nail right on the head about Freemasonry as only fresh eyes can.... That choice was a master stroke :) MWGM installed me and mentioned it widely and positively..Watching about 20 guys from my mother lodge turn up as visitors made my eyes soggy. Them walking in on mass, PMs and MMs together moved me in a way I will never forget..

Watching several guys I've mentored become top quality Masters, esp my latest successor, I just set him up so well and gave him every chance for success which positioned a talented guy to really excel for the benefit of the lodge...

Watching a masonic temple's bank balance grow through my efforts from insolvency to financial security..

Yeah yeah... pride is a sin LOL. .. but I guess the above is really just as much about satisfaction as pride.... I guess if there is one thing I am "proud" of it's producing over 100 editions of our lodge newsletter, at times it's editorials has been on the cutting edge of contentious issues, the best ones never get published on the web :)

Yeah, and I am proud of my chest full of medals... even though they get dusty and I rarely wear them,.... having them is enough and I actually did stop wearing them because I realised it was purely out of pride.. they tend only to come out at installations now days... in acknowledgement of those what gave em to me and the collective success they represent.. :)

Last edited:

Companion Joe

Premium Member
I think the proudest and honored I have ever been is the day I was installed Master. You have a smile on your face, but it's a serious smile because of the solemnity of the day and being busy shaking hands with everyone.

The happiest/most relieved you will be is when the next guy gets installed. Then, the smile is ear to ear, and you are nearly pulling people's arms off shaking them so hard, laughing, and hugging them.

I know the most emotional day for me was my last stated meeting as Master. I was called down out of the East and went to the altar where my dad presented me with a PM knife.

Bloke

Premium Member
I think rather than "proud" - the words "moving" and "satisfying" is where my most powerful memories of Freemasonry reside... thanks for sharing these stories...

acjohnson53

My most prodest moment in as a Mason is watching brothers that I recruited into Masonry get raised in the Lodge I was brought up in and then we would go to the next level. either it be York Rite or Scottish Rite...It would make me feel proud to have said that I contributed to the growth of my Lodge.....

acjohnson53

Must first most proudest moment is when our Lodge a back to school drive. We Handed out school supplies and book bags for the children in our community in Hohenfels, Germany....Now that was unforgettable...