questions brothers ask and answer in public?

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by JMartinez, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

I always ask "Are you a traveling man"

WX2CIB and Travelling Man91 like this.
  2. brother josh

brother josh Registered User

Yea I asked a guy one time if he was a traveling man and I quote he said( I have been to Wisconsin a few times)

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Bro. Landry likes this.
  3. afterlodgejason

afterlodgejason Registered User

This will now be my standard answer to this question from now on. After his confused look I will then explain.

4. jjjjjggggg

jjjjjggggg Premium Member

"PENCIL-VAIN-YUH" (producer Bruce voice)

5. AfterLodgeBruce

AfterLodgeBruce Registered User

I actually recorded myself saying Pennsylvania about a half dozen different times, each with different inflections, and tones. Although we ended up going with that one, I'm pretty sure that recording is still lurking around somewhere. Maybe in another 10 shows or so, when we have enough "extras" to fill an hours worth of time, we can work that in there.

6. vangoedenaam

vangoedenaam Premium Member

The way you guys say certain words is, well, interesting. But we digress, albeit masonically.

7. brother blaine

brother blaine Registered User

When I met another I just ask if he is a traveling brother and what lodge he belongs to, but I never talk of the inter workings of masonry unless it's in a tiled lodge

Bill Lins and Travelling Man91 like this.
  8. vangoedenaam

vangoedenaam Premium Member

There are some special questions we ask in my country, but discussing them here wouldnt be helpful...

9. Go49ersuk

Go49ersuk Registered User

In the UK 'caution' and 'cautious' goes a long way.

10. brother blaine

brother blaine Registered User

Thank you brother it's nice meeting new brothers of the craft and getting to know them, we all know what goes on in the lodge if we are true brother of masonry no reason to bring up the inter workings of it, maybe just me but the ones that want to talk about the Inter workings maybe are outsiders

Bill Lins likes this.
  11. marty15chris

marty15chris Premium Member

I met a brother in the chow hall just yesterday. All I had to do was say"Hi I noticed your ring from across the room" I introduced myself and what lodge I was from as did he and that was all that needed to be said. He is going to email the schedule for the lodge here and once we are at lodge we'll get a the formal questions asked and answered.

Bill Lins likes this.
  12. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

I was signing a customer in for service yesterday and he asked me, "Are you a Mason?" I said yes, he said me, too, and a quick conversation followed. Turns out we've crossed paths at Officer Association meetings, but never actually met.

Bill Lins likes this.
  13. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

That works well within a jurisdiction because it leads by a circuitous path to a discussion of local lodges. Furthermore since the wording is different jurisdiction to jurisdiction the grand hail might not be noticed even by a brother. Any obsolete or repetitive wording or grammar is worth checking on.

14. Virgin Islands Brother

Virgin Islands Brother Registered User

Yea I asked a guy one time if he was a traveling man and I quote he said( I have been to Wisconsin a few times)

I'm sorry, but I'm running with this one. I will cite you as the source. However, I'm going to wear this out.

15. TheHelix

TheHelix Registered User

I think it is kind of ridiculous to challenge, try or examine a man, you have never met in your entire life, just because you think or suspect he may be fraternal. Before I became a brother, I was at a church convention, wherein I was leading a Bible study and afterwards, an elderly gentleman walked up to me and asked.....Something tells me you are a traveling man.....working in advertising sales, all I could answer with was.....Yep, I travel a lot for work. Challenges and attempts at examination, should not be as easily shared aloud, as they sometimes are.

Brian Davis and Bill Lins like this.
  16. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

This discussion is not about modes of recognition its about how to ask someone if they are a Bro Mason. I prefer the When were u raised approach.

17. AndreAshlar

AndreAshlar Registered User

Are you a mason? Are you a traveling man? Both are simple and straight forward. They work for me.

Bill Lins and Travelling Man91 like this.
  18. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

I was told simply to stick out my hand and say "Hi, I from St. Matthews Lodge 906 Kentucky, where are you from?"

Radical540 and dalinkou like this.
  19. Willaim Perkins

Willaim Perkins Registered User

One of my favorites is "So where were you hit in the head?"

20. jwhoff

jwhoff Premium Member

Tricky! But if they are listening close, they ought to be able to answer either of these. I suppose.

Share My Freemasonry