Recently raised but have questions

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by paul2426, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Albert_Emerich

Albert_Emerich Registered User

Hello. I'm a Catholic Christian and feel very comfortable in my lodge. When someone asked me for my religion, I said: all the paths that's lead me to the Light.
    As a science man, I think nobody really knows if God exist or not. If we have an eternal soul or don't. What happens once we are death. Nobody in this planet knows that.
    So, I choose to believe in God, but this is just faith. No evidence is required to have faith.
    You become a Mason when begins with this kind of questions, that's all.

:)

Enviado desde mi ONE E1003 mediante Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    Keith D. McKeever Jr. likes this.
  2. Albert_Emerich

Albert_Emerich Registered User

By the way, sorry for my poor english skills...

Enviado desde mi ONE E1003 mediante Tapatalk

3. pointwithinacircle2

pointwithinacircle2 Rapscallion Premium Member

The word "God" is a religious term. It's definition has always been determined by the people who are in power in any given religion. That is why different religions mean different things when they use the term. However, I have come to believe that underneath the various religious definitions of God there are certain specific, scientific principles which govern spiritual phenomena. I find this concept to be consistant with the idea of "that Religion in which all Men agree".

Of course some people will be upset by my use of the words "scientific" and "God" in the some sentence. This is usually because the people in power in their specific religion have taught them that God and science are enemies. I see science simply as a word that denotes our accumulated understanding of what is real. I see God as a word that denotes that which is not understood, but is just as real.

4. Ressam

Ressam Registered User

Scientists are materialist. They just don't believe that -- "soul is existing".
    Actually, the issue is very simple:
    Spirituality & materalism are not Oppositions.
    Spirituality is just -- The Continuation of Materia. More Perfect Occurence. Another Universe Law.

CLewey44 likes this.
  5. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Right. That should be the end of the discussion. We require a belief in a supreme being. We do NOT impose a definition of what that means. We tell a story out of the Old Testament. We do NOT require that our members be Jewish. End.

So why are you making this random sounding stuff up, knowing that we are forbidden from discussing religion in our meetings? Lodge is supposed to be a sanctuary from this sort of divisive topic.

If you want to make stuff and use it as an excuse to demit, go right ahead. I'm not going to debate stuff that's made up about us. You're imposing a definition, which we don't do.

You knew before joining that we have members of every religion you have ever heard of and many you haven't. You knew before joining that when we perform our degrees we adopted you into our family and you adopted us into your family knowing full well that about our membership. Now you're making stuff up after the fact? Pass.

MarkR likes this.
  6. Ressam

Ressam Registered User

Mr.Doug,
    man of any ethnicity can become -- "Inspector General"(Scottish Rite)?

7. MarkR

MarkR Premium Member

Of course, jurisdiction differ on these things, but nowhere in mine is it taught that we all worship "the same God." Freemasonry here takes no position on that at all. What is required is that we all accept a creator god, a "Grand Architect," and how you envision that creator and how you worship is entirely between you and the deity.

8. MarkR

MarkR Premium Member

Yes.

Ressam likes this.
  9. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Based on some rituals, I can easily see how a Brother could come to such conclusions, and after discussion and though, he could easily come to a different one consistent with what is basically being said in this thread... i'm sympathetic because I've examined the same question but came to a conclusion that there is no group worship going on in a lodge.. each man being left to his own belief. I can worship in a car, doesn't mean a Ford (Holden !!*) is a Church...

*It's a make of an Australian Car... or it used to be...

10. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

>there is no group worship going on in a lodge

I suspect that there are some exceptions to that including most Swedish lodges and some lodges in the southern USA.

There are also at least one version of the 18th degree (Rose Croix) that is overtly Christian, although the form of Christianity seems rather unorthodox and may be a late disguise.

11. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

I was thinking Craft when I made the Statement... but understand what you are saying...

12. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

My son is a neuroscientist. He is also a dedicated Christian

Randy81, Bill Lins and Ressam like this.
  13. Ressam

Ressam Registered User

Congrats, Mr.Glen!:)
    Hope Your son loves his job! :)
    Does Your son thinks that -- "Brain is The Temple of the Soul"? :)

14. flipster

flipster Registered User

My eye surgeon is a fine Christian man. He always will ask his patient if he can pray with them before a procedure. One can not make sweeping statements about an entire grouping of people.

Glen Cook likes this.
  15. Donald R. Hufham

Donald R. Hufham Registered User

Brother Paul, The Tenets of a Masons Profession , Brotherly Love, Relief And Truth. By the Exercise of these tenets We Become Just And Upright Masons. By this Practice We As A Whole Will make This World A Better Place. We Are Not Practicing Religion, But Practicing Morality . By Practicing Morality Your Tenets As A Christian Are Being FulFilled With Honor. Read your Bahnson. Learn The Lectures With Heart And You Will Better Understand Masonry.
    Brotherly Love , Relief And Truth.

Fraternally,
    Donald R. Hufham, M,CL
    Atkinson, Lodge # 612
    Atkinson, NC.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  16. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

Congratulations!

"Allow" is not something the society has control over. Freemasonry encourages you to practice your belief. That is all. There is no "Faith Police" overseeing religious practice.

Although it may seem that way to you, members believe what they want to believe about other members; just as you have done here... along with your intolerance about your assumptions.

Yes. It does indeed sound crazy. You've imagined an intolerant situation, based upon unconfirmed assumptions and are ready to flush it all away based upon unfounded conclusions.

Please see last comment.

Yet, there are quite a few that you're not being pummeled by that are quite positive. Perhaps you're simply hanging with negative people who claim to be Christians, but truly are not Christ-like in their hearts.

Let me cite an example: Jesus Heals a Centurion’s Servant

5 Now when Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to Him, pleading with Him, 6 saying, “Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, dreadfully tormented.”
    7 And Jesus said to him, “I will come and heal him.”
    8 The centurion answered and said, “Lord, I am not worthy that You should come under my roof. But only speak a word, and my servant will be healed. 9 For I also am a man under authority, having soldiers under me. And I say to this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes; and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.
    10 When Jesus heard it, He marveled, and said to those who followed, “Assuredly, I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel! 11 And I say to you that many will come from east and west, and sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. 12 But the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” 13 Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go your way; and as you have believed, so let it be done for you.” And his servant was healed that same hour.

This is what Jesus did in similar situation when confronted with a man who believed differently. He PRAISED him and put him forth as a good EXAMPLE. He was more concerned that a man had faith than what faith the man had.

Ya got one. Start picking.

I suggest you be more worried about those who would cause division between you and good men. They are not after your best interests.

This is your personal view. Everyone has his own. Even Jesus accepted, supported and encouraged those who worshipped differently, as long as they had Faith!

So What! If you're looking to hang with those who have exactly your view, you're going to find the world a very lonely isolated place.

And no one within the society OR the society in general is asking you to do this. This is something that you have assumed, latched on to and have run into the ground.

Belief in God is the ONLY religious requirement to join. Your religious views are not in question! Yet, you are making every effort to question those of others. That is NOT what our membership focuses upon, AT ALL!

This is a religious view. Freemasonry does not teach religious views. Your quest is focused upon a dry well.

Freemasonry leaves belief in God in the hands of each member. You're assuming a lot about Freemasonry that has nothing to do with Freemasonry.

Good!

Freemasonry asserts nothing in this respect. Almost every jurisdiction, like Jesus, is more concerned that you have a belief in God (as you understand God), than what faith you actually have and practice.

Also, Freemasons don't "worship God". They believe in God. Worship is left to the individual member to do in his own way and on his own time.

Freemasonry requires a belief in God. There! Feel better! :D

Freemasonry has no such requirement.

It is not "may"; even Christians do battle to the death over whose version is correct.

Actually, it does come across that you do care and that you do care a lot.

It's gonna take a lot more than what you offered here to ruffle.

As they should! Kudos for bringing them up.

Are you clearer now? ;)

17. BodhiD

BodhiD Registered User

If you believe in a single God, I'm curious who/what you think "other religions" worship? You should perhaps follow this line to its logical conclusion.

I also wonder if you think the Deity is overly concerned with what OUR idea(s) of him/her/it is?

If you're hoping to hear "sure, in Masonry, all religions are equal, but *some* are more equal than others" /wink wink... Sorry, but I hope you don't find what you're looking for, and you shouldn't in Freemasonry.

Just food for thought, I hope.

18. flipster

flipster Registered User

Brother John, a well thought out and timely response. I am not making light of bro. Paul's questions, but I don't think Jesus would have joined my bowling team, our local community orchestra, our historical society. You get my drift. The disciples gave up all, and joined Jesus. It's a tough question, and each man needs to answer the questions themselves. And beware of busy bodies from all walks of life who may not like the things we do. By the way, John, I knew your name was familiar. I went hunting and found it on Ira Beck Lodge. Small world. I hope we can meet some time.

19. Ressam

Ressam Registered User

Of course, I respect everyone Faith! It's obvious necessity for everyone. Respecting everyone's Religion!
    But, IMHO(maybe I'm mistaken), many Christians have wrong understanding of -- "Why(For what purpose) Jesus'd come?"
    They think that -- Jesus came to -- die by takin' their sins, atoning by death.
    It's wrong. Jesus came for -- bringing "Good News"(εὐαγγέλιον) from God, Who is Loving everyone, equally.
    He came for showing -- True Path. But, unfortunately, "Mission failed".
    Just look at the sky, and see how many stars there.
    Do you think that -- all these Billion Stars, Galaxies, were being created "by accident", for humans,
    so that -- our purpose is finally -- to die, dissapear(to Paradise forever) one day? It's not serious.

20. flipster

flipster Registered User

Ressam, the question I addressed was one put to John by his acquaintances: would Jesus join lodge. The question could also then apply to my bowling team etc. Your comment, "Mission failed" bewilders me. I won't try to change your opinion. It's just I have never heard that said about Jesus. Oh, well. Istanbul may see things differently than in this neck of the woods.

Share My Freemasonry