My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruiting

CLewey44

Realistically, if you want to truly guard the west, it should be invitation only. Or at least allowed. Then that way lodges have more control over who joins without having to take any and everyone just to keep their doors open. Then you can control the quality over quantity.

David612

Realistically, if you want to truly guard the west, it should be invitation only. Or at least allowed. Then that way lodges have more control over who joins without having to take any and everyone just to keep their doors open. Then you can control the quality over quantity.
Totally agree, however the issue as I see it is that these days the number of men interested is much lower than times past and the number of suitable men amoung them is lower still, so by relying strictly on enquiries I fear many smaller lodges may be forced to close.

Bloke

Premium Member
We've rejected a son of a brother because we thought it he was not ready. We have an application process - we sort our potential candidates out by filtering before application and but particularly during application. An invitation does not mean the man is worthy nor assure you quality over quantity. Several of our best officers, including our WM, were not invited, they knocked on GL's door and applied without an invitation.... their applications we examined, they were interviewed and we initiated them; and its great to have them with us.

David612

We've rejected a son of a brother because we thought it he was not ready. We have an application process - we sort our potential candidates out by filtering before application and but particularly during application. An invitation does not mean the man is worthy nor assure you quality over quantity. Several of our best officers, including our WM, were not invited, they knocked on GL's door and applied without an invitation.... their applications we examined, they were interviewed and we initiated them; and its great to have them with us.
Very true, I guess it just requires brothers to really know and be selective with the potential candidates they mention the order too.

CLewey44

As I mentioned, it could ,and probably should, be both invitation and non-invitation. And just because a man is invited, as Bloke alluded, doesn't mean they are a shoe-in. Again, that'd allow for better filtering and vetting. I think allowing non-invitees is perfectly fine for sure. You wouldn't want to miss out on great candidates but this formula with no solicitation has led to the version we have now in the U.S. where our only goal is to keep lodges open when in reality, some of them simply may need to close due to 'lack of business'. I would rather them close than to allow just anyone into the fraternity. If these men could invite fellas they may not be closing after all plus they would be guys they know and trust.

In Turkey, men are invited and I'm sure other countries as well that is the case. It's close to impossible to get in if you are not invited. That may be overkill but inviting allows more control for the members to bring in fellows they personally know. Nowadays, a guy shows up with a petition, he meets once with someone at the lodge and a few weeks later they report and then vote....95%+ of the time he gets a yay and we allow some clown in that shows up in blue jean shorts and a AC/DC t-shirt on his initiation night. That's literally happened and not at all uncommon. I've seen a guy turn in a FC cat lecture in baggy cargo pants and a t-shirt. However, if that's the culture of your lodge, then that may be perfectly acceptable.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Nowadays, a guy shows up with a petition, he meets once with someone at the lodge and a few weeks later they report and then vote....95%+ of the time he gets a yay and we allow some clown in that shows up in blue jean shorts and a AC/DC t-shirt on his initiation night. That's literally happened and not at all uncommon. I've seen a guy turn in a FC cat lecture in baggy cargo pants and a t-shirt.
Unfortunately this is very often true.

LK600

Premium Member
I'm a firm believer in: If you practice Masonry you will get petitions.
Agreed, but who's version of Masonry. The dinner Mason version, the Esoteric version, etc? A combination is the answer but I don't believe to many lodges are currently on board with this. :(

David612

I'm not sure how you gents feel but in my aria, of my peer group there are so few men who consider becoming a mason, not because they are of bad report or any such thing but rather it just dosnt cross their mind, my surgestion would be plant the seed as it where in those we know rather than recruiting persay, That way our standards remain strong and we have at least a little more information.