My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regarding PHA members

dfreybur

Premium Member
If you came to my lodge and showed me a dues card, I'd be polite and ignore it and examine you. Flashing some card will not get you entry here. For overseas masons, we normally look for a Patent Letter or a MM Cert.

I'd be happy to recite mother jurisdiction's version of the Tiler's Oath or the longer version from one of my other jurisdictions. Or repeat after you the slightly different wording of the one from your jurisdiction. Slight variations like that are part of the fun.

If you ignored my dues card and asked for the other paperwork the result would be entertaining. A Patent Letter is a form printed by GL, signed and/or embossed by your lodge Sec, right? Here's mine. (Hands you the dues card you just ignored).

A rose by any other name is hilarious, but it's still a rose. You say puh-tah-toe I say puh-tay-toe. You say Patent Letter I say Dues card. I have a bunch of them in my wallet.

Texas has a rule that Texas dues cards are taken without question. Texas has a rule that the WM may question anyways. A couple of years ago the Texas GM instructed that they be taken without question anyways. I haven't managed to follow all those moving parts. When I visit a Texas lodge the first time I request to give the Tiler's Oath.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
Texas has a rule that Texas dues cards are taken without question. Texas has a rule that the WM may question anyways. A couple of years ago the Texas GM instructed that they be taken without question anyways. I haven't managed to follow all those moving parts. When I visit a Texas lodge the first time I request to give the Tiler's Oath.

I thought the WM could only question visitors from another grand lodge and not the Grand Lodge of Texas. You have a right to visit in Texas if you belong to the Grand Lodge of Texas and was visiting a subordinate lodge. @Bill_Lins77488 If you have a GLOT dues card and Id, that is all you should need even though it is not done like that everywhere.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Texas has a rule that Texas dues cards are taken without question.
NOT SO.

Art. 380. (416). Good Standing.

Upon notification to the Worshipful Master, and at his discretion, a member of a Lodge under the jurisdiction of this Grand Lodge may visit any Texas Masonic Lodge working under this jurisdiction without the avouchment and or examination process providing that he is in good standing and presents a receipt from his Lodge showing that his dues are current at the time of said visitation along with a photo identification; except in cases provided for in Art. 382. Sojourning Masons from other jurisdictions must possess a current dues card and shall be vouched for or examined in accordance with Art. 381. (Revised 1999)

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I thought the WM could only question visitors from another grand lodge and not the Grand Lodge of Texas. You have a right to visit in Texas if you belong to the Grand Lodge of Texas and was visiting a subordinate lodge.

Such is not the case. Other than as provided for by Art. 380, the ONLY Brethren exempt from avouchment & examination in GLoTX Lodges are:
1. The sitting Grand Master
2. The DDGM of that District, when making his official visit
3. Members of that Lodge

If you have a GLOT dues card and Id, that is all you should need even though it is not done like that everywhere.

Again, see Art. 380, as posted above.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
Such is not the case. Other than as provided for by Art. 380, the ONLY Brethren exempt from avouchment & examination in GLoTX Lodges are:
1. The sitting Grand Master
2. The DDGM of that District, when making his official visit
3. Members of that Lodge

Again, see Art. 380, as posted above.

But I must be looking at it wrong cause it says a member under this jurisdiction may visit without the avouchement or examination process provided he is in good standing.

Bloke

Premium Member
I'd be happy to recite mother jurisdiction's version of the Tiler's Oath or the longer version from one of my other jurisdictions. Or repeat after you the slightly different wording of the one from your jurisdiction. Slight variations like that are part of the fun.

If you ignored my dues card and asked for the other paperwork the result would be entertaining. A Patent Letter is a form printed by GL, signed and/or embossed by your lodge Sec, right? Here's mine. (Hands you the dues card you just ignored).

A rose by any other name is hilarious, but it's still a rose. You say puh-tah-toe I say puh-tay-toe. You say Patent Letter I say Dues card. I have a bunch of them in my wallet.

This is easily solved. Just come to Melbourne, I will take you in a corner, look at your kit, then we can confuse the hell of our each other with different tests neither of us know, then I'll vouch for you and we'll get your signature in the appearance book and we will feed you and ply you with beer or whatever else is on the table :)

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
But I must be looking at it wrong cause it says a member under this jurisdiction may visit without the avouchement or examination process provided he is in good standing.
Upon notification to the Worshipful Master, and at his discretion, a member of a Lodge under the jurisdiction of this Grand Lodge may visit any Texas Masonic Lodge working under this jurisdiction without the avouchment and or examination process providing that he is in good standing and presents a receipt from his Lodge showing that his dues are current at the time of said visitation along with a photo identification; except in cases provided for in Art. 382. Sojourning Masons from other jurisdictions must possess a current dues card and shall be vouched for or examined in accordance with Art. 381. (Revised 1999)

What it says is that IF 1. It's OK with the WM, AND 2. He has a valid GLoTX dues card, AND 3. a valid photo ID, THEN he may be admitted without being examined. ALL THREE CONDITIONS MUST BE MET.

Randy81

Premium Member
I looked at our monitor and we do indeed have a Tyler's Oath. It also covers examination of a visiting Brother.

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member

What it says is that IF 1. It's OK with the WM, AND 2. He has a valid GLoTX dues card, AND 3. a valid photo ID, THEN he may be admitted without being examined. ALL THREE CONDITIONS MUST BE MET.

I see it now. Alot of brothers must not know about that cause they say dues card & id is all you need.

acjohnson53

That's them new Master Mason, like I said before in order to be A some what good Master Mason, start from the outer door and work yourself in, a lot of good stuff, I'm still learning...If I don't know I'll ask....A PM told me along time ago " A closed mouth want get fed"

Randy81

Premium Member
That's them new Master Mason, like I said before in order to be A some what good Master Mason, start from the outer door and work yourself in, a lot of good stuff, I'm still learning...If I don't know I'll ask....A PM told me along time ago " A closed mouth want get fed"
I've only been a MM for three days now so I'm learning a ton! lol.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
A lot of brothers must not know about that cause they say dues card & id is all you need.
I know, & it drives me crazy. The resources are available, but getting Brethren to attend the workshops, conferences, & forums is like pulling teeth, much less getting them to crack a book & learn something, but they're always ready to spout off & give incorrect information. The only way I know to protect yourself is to do your own research.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I find this nowhere in the GM's Decisions & Annotations. Please provide the cite stating such.

Last year at the GM conference at the Shrine Center in San Antonio the GM said that as part of his talk.

I have no trouble believing that you know the Texas book better than last year's GM did. You have the track record.