My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rings

MBC

Twice Registered User
Premium Member
Hi again, After our conversation I have made my way to JW shop in Birmingham, initially just to try some masonic rings on, an hour later It was all done - here's result of today's visit in Birmingham. cant wait until I'll be fully entitle to wear it.
147c6dda88fa70f79f18d39de33cf67b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Forgot to tell you, you are already allowed to wear it as an EA.

RhushidaK

It's the two most basic Masonic symbols a mason should live his life by. Don't go cheap with weight/thickness. It's your ring, so display what's in your heart.

True brother. The symbols should mean something to the mason wearing that ring.

But which degree does the trowel and plumb belong to? Is it the third degree where those symbols are taught as a combination? Coz so far I haven't come across them in my studies. I've had them separately, but I am unable to see a direct link as to why the two should be together.

Andy Westbrook

I'm sorry brother, but I can't answer that question. I completed my degrees in Louisiana and was not allowed to wear a ring until after I completed my 3rd degree. I do know the trowel and plum are simply the most basic of symbols and therefore used more often.

I've seen nice rings with the two pillars on the front/top and two other symbols on the sides.

RhushidaK

I'm sorry brother, but I can't answer that question. I completed my degrees in Louisiana and was not allowed to wear a ring until after I completed my 3rd degree. I do know the trowel and plum are simply the most basic of symbols and therefore used more often.

I've seen nice rings with the two pillars on the front/top and two other symbols on the sides.

I understand brother. I will just wait till I am raised.

My brethren at the lodge have not said anything about not wearing the ring when I asked them about it, but I will not wearing my ring till I am raised out of respect as I have not yet earned the right. :) Though I do plan on getting it made as of now.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I totally recommend you have your own ring made by your chosen design. Most manufactured rings all look alike, feel cheap and simply don't last.

I found a jeweler in Austin Texas that makes rings, told him what I was looking for and he created the design from the wax mold I wanted. Any jeweler can order the small Masonic symbols to put in the ring. I also never liked that factory store rings are really thin and bend easy. I took in several pieces of 18K and 24K jewelry from old rings to necklaces, one was a special family item too. He melted these items down, added a little gold (very little) and added my Masonic symbols.
I'm extremely happy with my ring! Very one of a kind. It wasn't very expensive at all since I melted down my own gold. And it's thick mostly 24K and a little heavy. It's solid and most importantly there's not another one like it.

I'll try to send pics. If i can't attach pics, email me and I'll share them: adwestbr@gmail.com
4e892aa43b99968b6362da8861150fbe.jpg
162ae8497f1f32417c086d94a47b9af3.jpg
3cbed5c1417168d7bb5d4b5a5214c310.jpg
9e65cc68236a5c0301bf4a1f2940bc50.jpg

That is a nice looking ring. Would it be a problem if your friend made a second one? :p

dfreybur

Premium Member
But why do most rings I have observed have a Shovel on one side and a Plumb Line on the other? Is it something to do with the Royal Arch?

It's a trowel. I think they are popular because they are narrow so they fit well on the side of a ring and stay clearly recognizable. Think of how small a level or square would have to be to fit on the side of a ring.

I've never seen an EA symbol on the side of a ring, probably because of how it looks when reduced to fit there. You can chose available symbol from a degree you have earned and that is available. To balance an EA symbol something from the FC degree would be nice on the other side. Plumb Line would work.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
It's a trowel. I think they are popular because they are narrow so they fit well on the side of a ring and stay clearly recognizable. Think of how small a level or square would have to be to fit on the side of a ring.

I've never seen an EA symbol on the side of a ring, probably because of how it looks when reduced to fit there. You can chose available symbol from a degree you have earned and that is available. To balance an EA symbol something from the FC degree would be nice on the other side. Plumb Line would work.
There is also another reason the trowel is used but he can figure that out once he is a MM.

I'm sure you were coy with your response for the very same reason.

RhushidaK

Nice idea brother. I have two ideas as of now :D
1. Sun and moon+stars on either sides, and MM S&C in middle (No direct reference to the degrees)
2. Gavel/Gauge and Plumb Line on either side with MM S&C in middle (with direct reference to all three degrees)

I was hoping to get it made by the time I'm raised so I can wear it after my raising :)

Bro. Clayton

Hey Brothers, I'm on the lookout for a ring that somewhat disguises the symbols of our craft (whether it be through the intricacy of the details or its design) so that it wouldn't be noticeably Masonic accept to the perceptive eye of a Brother. I've done some searching on the web (including the sites referenced thus far in this thread) but have come up empty. It seems the vast majority of rings out there lean more towards the "in your face" S&C.

Anybody have an idea where I might find what I'm looking for?

dfreybur

Premium Member
You could go with a lesser known symbol like a beehive. A beehive and anchor would be a combination I would recognize very easily.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
Hey Brothers, I'm on the lookout for a ring that somewhat disguises the symbols of our craft (whether it be through the intricacy of the details or its design) so that it wouldn't be noticeably Masonic accept to the perceptive eye of a Brother. I've done some searching on the web (including the sites referenced thus far in this thread) but have come up empty. It seems the vast majority of rings out there lean more towards the "in your face" S&C.

Anybody have an idea where I might find what I'm looking for?
I have a hard enough time trying to see a masonic ring on a live individual with the hand swinging about while that person meanders through a store or what have you. I wonder what I look like when I try to stalk some poor soul just to get in position for a good look at a ring IF I think it may have looked remotely masonic.

Last edited:

RhushidaK

Well brethren, I have been raised, and I am yet to find any reference to a trowel in the rituals. I just went through the whole ritual book. Am I missing something?