Rings

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by MeCorby, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Benjamin Baxter

Benjamin Baxter Moderator Staff Member

I am looking for a new York Rite ring....

2. MBC

MBC Twice Registered User Premium Member

Forgot to tell you, you are already allowed to wear it as an EA.

MeCorby likes this.
  3. MeCorby

MeCorby Registered User

Happy days :)

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

MBC likes this.
  4. RhushidaK

RhushidaK Registered User

True brother. The symbols should mean something to the mason wearing that ring.

But which degree does the trowel and plumb belong to? Is it the third degree where those symbols are taught as a combination? Coz so far I haven't come across them in my studies. I've had them separately, but I am unable to see a direct link as to why the two should be together.

5. Andy Westbrook

Andy Westbrook Registered User

I'm sorry brother, but I can't answer that question. I completed my degrees in Louisiana and was not allowed to wear a ring until after I completed my 3rd degree. I do know the trowel and plum are simply the most basic of symbols and therefore used more often.

I've seen nice rings with the two pillars on the front/top and two other symbols on the sides.

6. acjohnson53

acjohnson53 Registered User

The "Ashlar Company", Mike is a pretty cool dude....out of La Jolla, California...

Benjamin Baxter likes this.
  7. RhushidaK

I understand brother. I will just wait till I am raised.

My brethren at the lodge have not said anything about not wearing the ring when I asked them about it, but I will not wearing my ring till I am raised out of respect as I have not yet earned the right. :) Though I do plan on getting it made as of now.

8. Brother_Steve

Brother_Steve Premium Member

That is a nice looking ring. Would it be a problem if your friend made a second one? :p

9. Andy Westbrook

Andy Westbrook Registered User

I'm sure he can and will duplicate my ring or whatever you need.

10. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

It's a trowel. I think they are popular because they are narrow so they fit well on the side of a ring and stay clearly recognizable. Think of how small a level or square would have to be to fit on the side of a ring.

I've never seen an EA symbol on the side of a ring, probably because of how it looks when reduced to fit there. You can chose available symbol from a degree you have earned and that is available. To balance an EA symbol something from the FC degree would be nice on the other side. Plumb Line would work.

RhushidaK likes this.
  11. Brother_Steve

There is also another reason the trowel is used but he can figure that out once he is a MM.

I'm sure you were coy with your response for the very same reason.

RhushidaK likes this.
  12. Matt L

Matt L Site Benefactor

13. RhushidaK

Nice idea brother. I have two ideas as of now :D
    1. Sun and moon+stars on either sides, and MM S&C in middle (No direct reference to the degrees)
    2. Gavel/Gauge and Plumb Line on either side with MM S&C in middle (with direct reference to all three degrees)

I was hoping to get it made by the time I'm raised so I can wear it after my raising :)

14. Bro. Clayton

Bro. Clayton Registered User

Hey Brothers, I'm on the lookout for a ring that somewhat disguises the symbols of our craft (whether it be through the intricacy of the details or its design) so that it wouldn't be noticeably Masonic accept to the perceptive eye of a Brother. I've done some searching on the web (including the sites referenced thus far in this thread) but have come up empty. It seems the vast majority of rings out there lean more towards the "in your face" S&C.

Anybody have an idea where I might find what I'm looking for?

15. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

It sounds like you might have to go custom.

MBC likes this.
  16. MBC

MBC Twice Registered User Premium Member

Anywhere I can commission them to do a nice custom one?

17. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

I would look locally for a jeweler or an artist.
    As to pre-made, have you looked at https://www.mastersjewel.com ? There are some less-than-common designs there.

Bro. Clayton likes this.
  18. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

You could go with a lesser known symbol like a beehive. A beehive and anchor would be a combination I would recognize very easily.

19. Brother_Steve

I have a hard enough time trying to see a masonic ring on a live individual with the hand swinging about while that person meanders through a store or what have you. I wonder what I look like when I try to stalk some poor soul just to get in position for a good look at a ring IF I think it may have looked remotely masonic.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    RhushidaK and Bro. Clayton like this.
  20. RhushidaK

Well brethren, I have been raised, and I am yet to find any reference to a trowel in the rituals. I just went through the whole ritual book. Am I missing something?

Share My Freemasonry