My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seated to Standing. The Story of The Machine.

Grimm

Hello Everyone, pleasure to be here.

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Josh I am a newly raised master mason at my lodge as of 7/23/19 and just turned in the work as of 8/13/19. I am currently 25.

My interest in freemasonry began much younger than most at the age of 11. You see I was born with a condition known as Cerebral palsy with a moderate severity level that affected my legs and balance. Because of this I was never able to really walk. I was a very melancholy anti social person with me always having to be in a wheelchair or try hopping in crutches. I got made fun of and bullied often.

My parents helped me find soap box derby and join the special division for the disabled. That first year I placed 2nd among the entire division with a very heated set of races between me and the 1st place finisher. We talked a bit afterward and I discovered he was like me. He had the same disability that affected him similarly but he could walk. I asked him why he could walk and I couldn't. This was the first time I heard of the Shriners hospitals for children.

Months pass as 11 year old me in 2005 continues to look up information on this group of hospitals. I discovered many things including that the shriners were masons. One day I had a very bad day and my grandad called me and told me out of the blue that one day I was going to walk and that I would do something great. He passed a week later in December of 2005 without warning in his sleep. 3 months later in March I had my surgery at the Shriners hospital in Shreveport.

2 years passed as I was recovering for this surgery I went through and I finally took my first legitimate steps at the age of 13. I trained and worked hard to be completely independent in my mobility. Years later I never forgot what those shriners and the hospital did for me and who they were. I began to look heavily into joining masonry at the age of 18. Eventually at 24 one of my good friends and a former coworker got me a petition and I was initiated. This same year I became an endurance athlete and distance runner training to be one of the very few with my condition and possibly the only one with my severity level to complete a full marathon and have my name written as an official finisher.

I've done two official 5ks and have a 10k in November. I train everyday running on my forearm crutches and this is when people in the community started calling me "The Machine." Because I just keep going and going for several miles a day. I became a mason so that I could give back to the community and help children like me have the same opportunity I was given.

Masonry gave me the greatest gift in my life before I even knew what it was and now I get the joy of paying it forward the same way.

Last edited:

Matt L

Site Benefactor
Welcome to the forum Brother Grimm, what an amazing path you've traveled. You story is inspiring, and we must do a better job at letting folks know how Freemasons touch the lives of so many people everyday.

Mark Stockdale

Premium Member
Welcome Brother, a truly inspiring story
Welcome.jpg