My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should individual lodges be able to serve alcohol?

Should individual lodges be permitted to serve alcohol, in the lodge building.

• YES!

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters

Winter

Premium Member
Although I do agree with you, I have seen people have 1 drink, be fine but get into an accident. Doesn't have to even be their fault. Just saying as sue happy as everyone in this country seems to be, you never know
True. Sadly, this is the world we live in now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mark Stockdale

Premium Member
Oh, we have the bar in the lodge, but it would never be open before a meeting, only after the meeting. The only exception to this would be at the annual installation, when the bar is open during the proceedings for the brethren who are not part of the installing board.

Bloke

Premium Member
As with most issues there is more than one side. My observation is that institutions that serve alcohol (Elks, VFW, Moose, etc.) are the ones that thrive and gain membership. OTOH, our local VFW has a reputation for having trouble getting the official meetings started because no one wants to leave the bar.
It can be an issue actually.. but I would not blame the booze because many often only have a cup of tea or coffee.. the problem is not generally the booze, it is the conversation.. what is interesting is our members now turn up about 30 mins to an hour early to break open a bottle of wine and chat. What's also interesting, is knowing there will be no cold beer at that point, many bring a cold 6 pack to share... I'd rather start a happy lodge 10 mins late than a grumpy one on time.... but people do move upstairs because they know if we start 30 mins late, it means dinner will start 30 minutes later... the real issue is probably the guy who turns up 5 minutes before lodge and pours himself a drink or starts to make a coffee.. Maybe we should call last drinks before the meeting starts.. that's probably a good idea.. or get them upstairs beside the lodge room - but that splits the smokers and nonsmokers..