My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Table Lodge Legislation

JJones

The Grand Orator spoke highly of table lodges during our Grand Communication this year, it's unfortunate that there is still no accepted ritual for it as of yet.

Bloke

Premium Member
Being new to the board - I'd never seen this thread... I'd heard about these for years and been invited to several. Under guidance from a PM and GL officer, we ran one early in 2015. Wow. What an awesome night. It was held in our lodge building (alcohol allowed). We tyled in the dinner hall (not sure I would support a ballot there, but we have movable and immovable jewels, warrant, square pavement and all other equipment) and then closed the lodge, recording in our minutes "The lodge was duly closed and a table lodge opened thereafter"... we used a ritual developed here, but similar to Maine's (thanks for all the links Bros). I can understand the critics, if you wanted to be harsh, you might describe it as a glorified masonic drinking game, but the ritual is meaningful and the brotherhood and fun high. Our only mistake, we held it on our regular meeting night (a weeknight)... next time it will be on a Saturday. We didn't really know what we had installed until we rehearsed it, it them became evident how good it would be... We will hold another in the first half of next year...

I highly recommend you hold table lodge.. if it is not allowed, just run one as a study or social group... :)

JJones

I've visited the Grand Orator's lodge once before and the dinner consisted of everyone meeting up at Outback Steakhouse after lodge, followed by everyone meeting elsewhere for cigars and discussion. Don't get me wrong, it was still very enjoyable and very refreshing when compared with what I'm used to, there was just no ritual what-so-ever.

dfreybur

Premium Member
The Grand Orator spoke highly of table lodges during our Grand Communication this year, it's unfortunate that there is still no accepted ritual for it as of yet.

I can write a Table Lodge ritual in under an hour. Web search for the two major types - One with talks on what (insert topic here) means to a brother the other with a set of toasts with the talks being optional. Pick one and copy.

I would want to use a word other than unfortunate but the word would be other than complimentary. What board of ritual worth calling itself that fails in over a decade to offer a ritual for the *founding event of Grand Lodge Masonry* when it can be done in an hour.

Bloke

Premium Member
I think table lodge ritual should not be prescribed or proscribed. It gives lodges the ability to use them as social or educational or other purposes and design an evening (or day!) completely suited to the lodges purposes.. Table lodges are fun and should be constituted and conducted as each lodge wishes and not bogged down by rules from on high..

I think the best course of action is to issue "guidlines" and three rules:
1 tables lodges will be conducted in the best traditions of freemasonry
2 no candidate will be initiated, passed or raised at a table lodge
3 a lodge will not conduct any official lodge business at a table lodge including but not limited to votes and/or ballots in respect to candidates or officers

Rule one is super vague but will make sure no keen Dinning President, WM, JW or Member introduces something 'undesirable'. ..

dfreybur

Premium Member
I think table lodge ritual should not be prescribed or proscribed.

I think Table Lodge should be rewarded. Many jurisdictions give awards to lodges that accomplish a number of items on a list of common goals. I suggest putting on a Table Lodge during the year should be on the list.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I think Table Lodge should be rewarded. Many jurisdictions give awards to lodges that accomplish a number of items on a list of common goals. I suggest putting on a Table Lodge during the year should be on the list.
Sounds interesting and worth while.

dfreybur

Premium Member
We had an open table lodge to celebrate fhe 125th anniversary of our lodge here in NM spouses and friends were invited

Table Lodge is tiled. Doing it open to the public it would be tempting to call it a dinner. Where there toasts and talks? Most of the talks I've seen at Table Lodge would have required a tiled meeting.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
There were toasts and a talk. The talk was about the history of freemasory in NM particularly our lodge. There was a special ritual for opening and closing....similar to open installations. Our GM was there so i know it was all ok....lol

Canadian Paul

Our Table Lodes are held after the regular meeting but are tyled and duly Opened and Closed. They're are seven toasts given with an elabourate ceremony which culminates in trying to slam the empty glasses onto the table-top in unison! The exact nature of the toasts can be varied to suit the circumstances. in the past wine was served for the toasts but with today's (perfectly correct) attitudes against driving after drinking soft drinks or fruit juice is usually used.

In light of the aforementioned manner of concluding each toast we use thick juice glasses!

dfreybur

Premium Member
Our Table Lodes are held after the regular meeting but are tyled and duly Opened and Closed. They're are seven toasts given with an elabourate ceremony which culminates in trying to slam the empty glasses onto the table-top in unison! The exact nature of the toasts can be varied to suit the circumstances. in the past wine was served for the toasts but with today's (perfectly correct) attitudes against driving after drinking soft drinks or fruit juice is usually used.

In light of the aforementioned manner of concluding each toast we use thick juice glasses!

I have from my first Table Lodge a glass that holds a small amount but it has a ball of glass at the base that's larger than a golf ball. Custom made to toss down barely more than a shot of wine then whack the empty glass down on the table. The gadget freak in me loves having such a special purpose item.

Bloke

Premium Member
We held our second table lodge recently. It was not greatly supported with less than 20 there, but really, it was a fantastic night and everyone there had a great time.

We opened the tyled lodge normally at the tables as per prescribed ritual (took about 15 minutes). Completed our business. Then closed and after a 10 minute break, opened the table lodge according to a table ritual. Had the normal 7 toasts (plus a practice) which were all scripted. Had 3 toasts, then entree, two toasts then main, then few more then dessert, then the final toast. In between there was much conversation and drinking. We also fined brothers for "transgressions"... for example, there was a fine for a brother who swayed too much when on his feet, a fine for another brother who used big words, another for the tyler because his sword was not big enough etc etc. WM, SW & JW were in 18th Century attire. EAs got fined for answering their questions too fast or too well. It was not tyled but only Freemasons; which allowed for some good education and philosophy around the Craft. A very successful evening. What was interesting, was after the tyer's toast, which normally see people leave, not one did. Indeed it was 2 hours after the tyler's toast that the first brother departed.

We set out with this one goal - to have fun, and a night of merriment was certainly had.

Last edited: