My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Talking in a degree

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
In my opinion this is one of the most disrespectful things that can be done in open lodge more especially during a degree. The Worshipful Master must address this with the entire Lodge. I had no issue reminding folks that they needed to turn their cell phones off and to not talk during degrees, it is best to do this prior to setting the actual degree team.
Agreed!
Well, I usually just ignore them or pretend that I don't hear them.
Sounds good.

Bloke

Premium Member
..... one thing i will give you a glare for... talking during degrees..

Thanks for the like on the above post but reading it again I don't think my behaviour is good. Intent good, execution bad.

I'm going to try to eliminate any use of the "glare", it might be rare, but there's better ways to communicate. It is cringworthy to the recipient and we need to stamp out any cringe factors in lodges insure lodges are places men want to be and bring their friends.

At the core of Freemasonry is trying to always change for the better and act as a better man...

With that in mind, I don't think glaring is a preffered method of communication because it's hostile and might not be clear... i shouldn't be "glaring" at my brothers. Over the next few months I'm will word up the WM or make announcements in lodge just prior to the degree starting. I regularly do this (and have WMs do it) on prompting and active listening but am going to mention not talking.....and the importance of not shuffling song books and esp papers ( Bro sec who gets the look most often !!!!!!!!) prior to our next couple of degrees then every year or two and get our mentors to push it home.