My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Talking in a degree

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
I know everyone has been there and done that. I seen to always attract the talking brethren that want to have conversations during a degree. I feel a degree is a solemn part of our ritual and there shouldn't be talking. Have you had this happen to you if so how do you handle it....I had it happen yesterday and it was my uncle. The also seem to always be hard of hearing so it's even worse or my uncle....lol

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Before the Brethren enter the lodge for a Degree we have the Marshal's Instructions. One of these is a very firm reminder that there will be no talking, period. If a Brother ignores this he will be quietly hushed at the time and privately admonished by the Master after. If he's a quest he might not be invited back. A member should certainly know better.

Bloke

Premium Member
Its a bugbear of mine.. but fortunately very very rare..

When I saw the topic, it came like a "complete this sentence" thing.. "Talking in a degree is something i hate.."

I almost always say something after the meeting, but I am on the floor during degrees, there is pretty much one thing i will give you a glare for... talking during degrees..

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
It is something that we should no do. However, I have allowed myself to slip and am guilty.

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
What's even worse is people giggling or laughing during a degree. I have a background in theater and wish I could add things such as costumes, lighting and other effects during degrees. Back in the day I had my hand slapped becuase I wanted to turn off most of the lights when a candidate is at the altar..

Keith C

I agree that idle talk and jocularity have no place during a degree. However I can bring up an instance where hushed whispering was appropriate.

There were a group of three of us who went through the degrees in the same relative time period. For our EA and FC degrees mine was done on the 3rd week of the month and theirs were done on the 4th week. For our raisings, I had a work conflict so my MM degree was put off for a month, so they were raised before me. I was able to attend the Extra Meetings for their EA and FC degrees and they were able to attend the Extra Meeting for my MM degree.

When we went to the meetings where the degree we had just been through was conferred, we had a PM sit with us and offer explanations of what was happening, why and answered any questions we had. All of this was done in a VERY quiet voice, did not interfere with the Ritual and was done at the direction of the WM.

As with most things there are hard and fast rules - i.e., if you are not part of the Ritual, keep your moth shut, but there are always exceptions which may be appropriate and beneficial.

Bloke

Premium Member
I agree that idle talk and jocularity have no place during a degree. However I can bring up an instance where hushed whispering was appropriate.

There were a group of three of us who went through the degrees in the same relative time period. For our EA and FC degrees mine was done on the 3rd week of the month and theirs were done on the 4th week. For our raisings, I had a work conflict so my MM degree was put off for a month, so they were raised before me. I was able to attend the Extra Meetings for their EA and FC degrees and they were able to attend the Extra Meeting for my MM degree.

When we went to the meetings where the degree we had just been through was conferred, we had a PM sit with us and offer explanations of what was happening, why and answered any questions we had. All of this was done in a VERY quiet voice, did not interfere with the Ritual and was done at the direction of the WM.

As with most things there are hard and fast rules - i.e., if you are not part of the Ritual, keep your moth shut, but there are always exceptions which may be appropriate and beneficial.

Not a fan. It's great for you but not for the candidate. You can achieve the same thing by going to a practice meeting (rehearsal) where you can chat, ask questions, and even be a dummy candidate, to your hearts content.... We started doing "walk throughs" for candidates which ended up becoming "Masonic Advancement Program" 1, 2 & 3. Grand Lodge made them compulsory following each degree and you cannot get your FC until MAP 1 is done, MM until MAP 2 and MM certificate until after MAP 3. These are all done outside lodge meetings ... i was skeptical at first but years on it's proved a great idea...

Keith C

I understand your point Bloke.

From a personal standpoint, I was not at all aware of the 2 brothers an PM talking at all during my MM degree. Obviously the WM of the lodge thought it was a good idea, as he directed it to happen. I can also see how it could be distracting and take away from the candidate if they hear / notice it going on.

Bloke

Premium Member
Yes, decreasing the light really make it a lot better. And if you can, use candlelight as much as possible
We have a single light on the WM'S pedestal but light leaks into the room... it's why I like doing thirds in winter when it dark earlier

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
We have a single light on the WM'S pedestal but light leaks into the room... it's why I like doing thirds in winter when it dark earlier

We have the Three Lesser Lights, candelabra on the Treasurer's desk and the Secretary's desk, and pillar candles on the Master's and Warden's stations.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
I know everyone has been there and done that. I seen to always attract the talking brethren that want to have conversations during a degree. I feel a degree is a solemn part of our ritual and there shouldn't be talking. Have you had this happen to you if so how do you handle it....I had it happen yesterday and it was my uncle. The also seem to always be hard of hearing so it's even worse or my uncle....lol

In my opinion this is one of the most disrespectful things that can be done in open lodge more especially during a degree. The Worshipful Master must address this with the entire Lodge. I had no issue reminding folks that they needed to turn their cell phones off and to not talk during degrees, it is best to do this prior to setting the actual degree team.

In your case, I would ask the WM to address this with the Brethren responsible in private.

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
Well, I usually just ignore them or pretend that I don't hear them. Sometimes they get the point, sometimes they keep going and involve me due to proximity when everyone looks at them... lol