Texas Apprentice visiting WV?

Discussion in 'The Traveling Freemason' started by Mark Petro, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Mark Petro

Mark Petro Registered User

I would like to visit a lodge in my vacation city in West Virginia. Does anyone on here have any info about how this works?

Warrior1256 likes this.
  2. chrmc

chrmc Registered User

Generally if you're an EA, it's not recommended to start doing visitations yet, until you've become a MM. Many places it isn't even allowed.
    But if you really wanted to, find a lodge in the area and drop the secretary a note.

3. Thomas Stright

Thomas Stright Premium Member

As an EA you should only travel with a MM from your home lodge.

4. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

NEGATIVE. Masonic protocol dictates that all correspondence is to go through one's own Grand Secretary through the Grand Secretary of the other jurisdiction to the Secretary of the Lodge in the other jurisdiction. Masons of one Grand jurisdiction, with specific exceptions, are NOT to contact Lodges of other Grand jurisdictions directly.

5. chrmc

chrmc Registered User

I know, but to be honest that is such a leftover from old days that it is almost irrelevant. I can't remember any cases where that protocal has actually been followed with a visitor to any of the lodges I'm a member off. And that goes from visitors within the US and from overseas. GLs are to slow to accomodate this these days as well.

I'll stand by my statement. Write the Secretary directly, but still suggest that you wait until you're an MM.

6. Keith C

Keith C Registered User

I can't see how this would work. Unless you travel with a Master Mason who has sat with you in Lodge AND the Lodge you visit works in the EA Degree there is no way you can A) Be examined in a regular fashion or B) Sit in a Lodge not in the EA degree.

No amount of correspondence bypasses the mandate to examine a visitor who has not been vouched for by a Brother who has actually sat in a n open Lodge with them, at least here in PA.

Bill Lins likes this.
  7. Mark Petro

Okay guys, thank you! I think I will just wait until I become a MM.

E/A, Initiated 7/31/2018, Wallace Hughston 1393, El Paso

MarkR likes this.
  8. chrmc

chrmc Registered User

In Texas an EA gets a dues card, just like a MM, so he could technically identify himself as a Mason, and be examined on the appropriate degree. But I agree, that it would be a bit of a mess.

9. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Those only apply to other GLofTX lodges. They allow a Texas EA or FC to visit within the jurisdiction only. Texas is more generous about this than most other jurisdictions, but one still need to be an MM to travel in other jurisdictions.

In other jurisdictions you would at least need to travel with an MM who can vouch for you and maybe not even then. it would depend on the jurisdiction being visited.

10. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

He would be welcomed in Utah.

11. chrmc

chrmc Registered User

That point I agree with you on completely.

12. Mark Petro

Maybe I should have been more specific about my question. I understand exactly, that if I want to attend a stated meeting they would have to open the meeting for entered apprentices. But I am assuming that I would just want to go to the pre-meeting functions, whatever they are, just to meet some of the people there just to be amongst masons from another jurisdiction. To attend a tyled meeting would be problematic in any other jurisdiction except GL of TX I assume.

Bill Lins, Glen Cook and dfreybur like this.
  13. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Seeking fellowship while on the road is a worthy quest. Before you petitioned you sought fellowship without being on the road so you already know it's benefits.

Keith C likes this.
  14. Keith C

Keith C Registered User

In that case, you would be more than welcome at dinner! We would even feel bad that we couldn't admit you.

Now that we in PA are mandated to have at least 2 Stated Meetings in the EA degree, perhaps it is time to add an examination at the EA and FC Degree.

15. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

When I traveled with the Navy it was a boon to go to Lodges all over the place.

Bill Lins likes this.
  16. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

This is the way that I see it also.
    Nothing wrong with this.

17. Warrior1256

WV is my home state. What part are you visiting?

18. Mark Petro

I actually have a house in West Virginia, in Lewisburg. It's my home that I want to retire in. Being stuck in El Paso, I'm hoping I can get back soon

Warrior1256 likes this.
  19. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

From my understanding you would need your secretary to contact the lodge you plan on contacting at the very least. I think as an EA, you deserve to receive apart of the rights, lights and benefits of any worshipful lodge of entered apprentices. I think the hang-up would be is if that lodge conducted all business on the MM degree, you would not be able to attend. If they conduct business on any degree or are performing an EA that night you should be able to attend imo. Specifically if you have your secretary contact those lodges in that area you may attend. This may have already been said and my apologies for repeating if so.

20. Warrior1256

Been there many, many times. A beautiful and historic city. My home town is Beckley.

Share My Freemasonry