My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'The Elitist Inside'

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
The financial situation in our lodge, however, make is very difficult to suggest raising the dues. We have substantial funds in reserve
Same here. A lot of lodges are really struggling financially but both lodges that I belong to are very financially sound.

LK600

Premium Member
I'm fairly new so I can only give my perspective from that point of view. I believe entry fees should be quadrupled (in most cases... some places it's already high) and dues should be at minimum, tripled. We have Lodges falling apart and others looking like they haven't been updated since the 50's-60's... which is probably accurate. Most Lodge's (in my limited experience) have next to no money for education, events, or buying much more than stamps.

It should not be easy to join, but there should be a clear path for all to potentially be able to join. Instant gratification is not what we are about, and accepting Lodges with cracks on the walls and yellowed 1950's drop ceilings shouldn't be acceptable. Sorry lol... rant off.

CLewey44

I recall when I set up my interview with the investigating committee they mentioned they prefer to meet at the candidate's home to "see how they live" and to be sure by observation and discussion with the candidate and family that the Dues "Wouldn't be a burden financially for the family." I was thinking to myself "OMG, the yearly dues must be pretty high"...Though I was fairly certain I could afford it whatever it would be. Turns out dues for our lodge are $90.00 / year. I was a bit surprised that they were that low and the lodge was concerned that $90 would prove to be a 'burden."

I get the feeling the dues have been at this level for a long time, and perhaps when put in place would have been considered expensive. The financial situation in our lodge, however, make is very difficult to suggest raising the dues. We have substantial funds in reserve and even tough we are currently spending significant amounts on building improvement, there is no real justification to raise dues. Our programs and our building do need improvements, but they are systematically being done well within the resources we have at hand and more money wouldn't make them go faster.

I think one of the biggest obstacles to improvement of the Lodge, either physically or in programs is resistance to change, no lack of funds in our case.

Great points there. Certainly a cultural change is in need a lot of times. Unfortunately, a lot of lodges are keeping their dues low, losing members due to lack of interest in the area anymore. Likely because, as you said, that culture needs to change.

Keith C

I had another thought relating to the value of 'elitism', and that is the "Traditional Observant Lodge" movement. I think these lodges do offer some level of 'elitism' in how they 'step up' the Blue Lodge experience and this does move more in the direction that the linked article describes. I am not sure of the dues structure of the local TO lodge vs other lodges in the area, so I can't comment on whether or not a higher dues is in place, but some of the other guards to the West are there.

CLewey44

I had another thought relating to the value of 'elitism', and that is the "Traditional Observant Lodge" movement. I think these lodges do offer some level of 'elitism' in how they 'step up' the Blue Lodge experience and this does move more in the direction that the linked article describes. I am not sure of the dues structure of the local TO lodge vs other lodges in the area, so I can't comment on whether or not a higher dues is in place, but some of the other guards to the West are there.

I have a friend who is a member of a TO lodge and their dues were higher but not much. They also had PHA, 'normal' BL, OES, Demolay, Rainbow etc all out of one lodge building so with all those other 'bodies' that allows them to keep it on the lower end since they share it with so many other groups.

BullDozer Harrell

I have a friend who is a member of a TO lodge and their dues were higher but not much. They also had PHA, 'normal' BL, OES, Demolay, Rainbow etc all out of one lodge building so with all those other 'bodies' that allows them to keep it on the lower end since they share it with so many other groups.
What's normal Blue Lodge???

CLewey44

I guess I should have written out 'non-TO/non-PHA/' to be clear but 'normal' was shorter and I think most people understand what I meant. Not a knock on either and they are just as much Masonry....depending on who you ask.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
My Cali TO lodge is $300+per capita (~46) a year. My UGLE lodge was £83 ($106.64) this year.
There is another TO lodge in the vicinity that charges $1,000 for the Degrees.

CLewey44

My Cali TO lodge is $300+per capita (~46) a year. My UGLE lodge was £83 ($106.64) this year.
There is another TO lodge in the vicinity that charges $1,000 for the Degrees.

Have you visited the $1000 one? I wonder how nice it is. They have a website, bro?

Keith C

Are those resources increasing or diminishing?

Talking with Brothers who have been in the lodge for some time, they have been pretty much the same over many years. A deliberate decision was made to make some expenditures for repairs and renovations to the building that will cause the monies in reserve to be reduced, but the funds that exist are such that we could buy another building and still have a reserve left.

So, with 'normal' operation the lodge has worked on the dues collected, and the money just sat there.

Bloke

Premium Member
Talking with Brothers who have been in the lodge for some time, they have been pretty much the same over many years. A deliberate decision was made to make some expenditures for repairs and renovations to the building that will cause the monies in reserve to be reduced, but the funds that exist are such that we could buy another building and still have a reserve left.

So, with 'normal' operation the lodge has worked on the dues collected, and the money just sat there.

Thanks. Just remember, a dollar today is not worth what it will be in a decade. If the money is just sitting there, then you're going backwards (BUT KUDOS for having a lot of it :) )

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
It should not be easy to join, but there should be a clear path for all to potentially be able to join. Instant gratification is not what we are about, and accepting Lodges with cracks on the walls and yellowed 1950's drop ceilings shouldn't be acceptable
Agreed!