My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The long way home

Victoria Bonadonna

There is nothing regular about my story, no matter what chapter you read in my proverbial book. I am an American girl, born in Kansas city. I left Kansas city after receiving my BA in theatre to find work in New York. At the time, I thought New York was the highest point on the mountain, but I was wrong.

After living and working in New York city for 10 years, as a producer and casting agent in film and television, I decided to leave NYC.

In 2004, I moved to Italy. I didn't know the language and it was hard to assimilate. Since then, I had two children and what seemed to be a normal life. I got into community work and was made the president of our International group. At some point, a member asked if I could help a professor in Sardegna translate a document. He was a very nice man and I helped him a couple of times and we became long distant friends. After the third translation, he asked me if I knew anything about the Freemasons. DUH! I'M AMERICAN! My grandfather and uncles were Masons but it wasn't a group women could join, or so I thought.

He would speak to me about the Scottish Rite and how they had mixed lodges. MIXED LODGES?! I had no idea this even existed and never in my life did becoming a freemason ever enter my mind.

Over the next 5 years, we would stay in contact and he would always ask me if I had thought about it and gave me a phone number to a local lodge. It took me a year to call. When I actually did make an appointment, I WENT, and I was nervous, but what I found was a small lodge with a woman GM! How could this be?! I was so impressed. All around me the symbols, so familiar, swirling around my head. I had seen these symbols my entire life in every corner of America, on our buildings, and our money. It was like I found my way home in a foreign country.

It took me another 6 months of weighing the possibilities. They were so welcoming and so knowledgeable. I met with one of the members, my mentor, to speak and ask questions. I had so many doubts about what I could offer and if my language skills were strong enough to understand the complexity of Freemasonry. It is in essence translating twice... English to Italian, Italian to Freemason terminology. This is nothing to take lightly.

In May 2018, I was initiated. It was the most insane experience of my life. They really put on a show and if you weren't dedicated to joining, you'd run for your life!

I became immersed. I'm trying to learn the terminology in both languages. My studies are often in English, since it's my mother tongue, that I translate into Italian. It's a labor of love. I just recently became 2nd degree and I have never felt so happy and strong. I am no longer alone here. I have a huge family at S.O.M.I. My son, who is 15 years old, is also asking the question. He will be baptized this year.

On a side note, to this day, I have never met (in person) this professor in Sardegna. I once had a neighbor who lived down the street. He was a Freemason (unbeknownst to me) and moved to Sardegna. I only discovered that he was a Freemason by sheer coincidence years after he moved. At my first Freemason convention, right after my initiation, the GM started to introduce me to him. I looked up and saw a very familiar face, there stood a man already known to me, my old neighbor! By shocking coincidence, this neighbor is also in the same lodge as the professor. Small world we live in.

jermy Bell

As long as you know that you can not sit in a lodge of freemasons or talk about freemasonry with other masons here in the United States .

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
In mainstream Masonry in the U.S. Co-Masonry is not recognized and considered clandestine or irregular. However, I wish you the best in your journey.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Welcome to a life-long journey, the serendipitous nature of your beginning is touching.
While we’ll likely never sit in lodge together I’m glad you are finding the value and pleasure of the Craft.
With Fraternal Regards.

Victoria Bonadonna

Welcome to a life-long journey, the serendipitous nature of your beginning is touching.
While we’ll likely never sit in lodge together I’m glad you are finding the value and pleasure of the Craft.
With Fraternal Regards.

Thank you very much! I know there are many that consider comasonry not true masonry. It's a shame. The craft, like everything in life, must evolve and grow. I feel sad that we will not sit together, but I consider you a brother nonetheless.

TheThumbPuppy

We'll not be able to sit in lodge together, however if you need any help with your Italian translation feel free to message me. I'm bilingual (British) English and Italian.

Incidentally I happened to be born in Sardinia :) (although my family is not from there)

YHWH

Usually initiation ceremony is for "a free man and of the full age of twenty-one years"