Travel Gavel

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by scottmh59, Oct 9, 2009.

1. scottmh59

scottmh59 Registered User

does any ones district here keep up with a travel gavel? I know for my district we do not know were it is,but are trying to find it. Ive heard of great stories at different lodges were they had 3-4 lodges show up for their stated meeting with 18-45 members each,all trying to claim the gavel.What a great way to encourage lodge pride and some friendly competition within the district.:boxing: :first:

2. ljlinson1206

ljlinson1206 Premium Member Premium Member

Never heard of a travel gavel. More info please.

3. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

We'll start one in January.

4. RedTemplar

RedTemplar Johnny Joe Combs Premium Member

My district does this. It is great for boosting visitation. To claim a gavel in our district, a visiting lodge must have at least five members (three must be officers) or eight members present to claim a traveling gavel.

5. nick1368

nick1368 Registered User

We have a travel gavel that hasn't traveled from what we can tell, in 15 years. It sits on a top shelf in the Secretary's office. Our WM was asking about it just this past week. He would like to see it started back up again. What does y'all gavel look like?

6. scottmh59

ive never seen the gavel in my district.like yours i dont think it has traveled in some time.if i cant find what lodge has it,rhit has made one that we might start circulating.

7. TCShelton

TCShelton Founding Member Premium Member

I've e-mailed most of the secretaries in the district about 6-9 months ago, and nobody knows where it is.

8. scottmh59

maybe its time we sent out an announcement to the lodges in 64a that we have it and its up for grabs?

9. TCShelton

TCShelton Founding Member Premium Member

We (you) can do that at the next MWSA.

10. RedTemplar

Our gavel is a little over sized with a brass plate. Seems this an activity that runs in cycles. Right now it is on the upswing.

11. nick1368

nick1368 Registered User

I was asking the size because our to is a "little" over-sized. It is about 3 feet in from tip to tip :biggrin1:

12. jonesvilletexas

jonesvilletexas Premium Member

We, in the 30th district have one.

In district 30-C we have a beautiful cut Cristal vase that was handmade and is presented to the lodge that has the most members that visits one of our four lodges in a three month span, the lodge with the most visitors keeps the award for three months. (Only members from 30-c counts)

13. Jay

Jay Registered User

I do like whate Brother ljlinson1206 posted and I think George Orwell is RIGHT in his statment

14. RedTemplar

I don't know the actual dimensions, but it will fit on a International log truck.:wink:

15. Wingnut

Wingnut Premium Member

16. JTM

JTM "Just in case" Premium Member

wow. phenomenal idea. suggesting it now... (i'm literally texting my WM about this right now)

Share My Freemasonry