My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuxedo versus Black suit

Lowcarbjc

My initiation will be in the next 3 weeks. I am from South Africa under the GLSA constitution. My proposer suggested I pitch with a Tuxedo at the lodge on the evening I do not own a Tux of black suit currently.

Apparently black suits are also allowed but from what I understand some events like office installations specifically requires a Tuxedo. What are your views, should I just buy the more expensive Tux once off and will it be ok for all purposes at the lodge?

Freemason Connect HD

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Talk to your Proposer about it. I'm not sure any of us can speak for a SA Lodge. Generally, however, a black suit with a white shirt, and plain, black necktie would be sufficient.
Also, you might see if you can rent a tux for now, and perhaps buy one in the future.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I don't know about South Africa, but here you can get a decent tux cheaper than a lot of suits. One way is to buy a used one from a rental place. Another is online with a place like www.uniformalwearhouse.com.

I second this. Over the years I've gotten two tuxes (one still fits, chuckle). Both I got on the cheap. One used; one at a discount suit place.

As to which to wear, go with your own lodge's dress code. You have described what I'll call a 'traditional dress up lodge". You'll use your tux often enough.

Lowcarbjc

Thanks for the great advice, got a great Tux that a place who rents out sold and I'm happy I asked. And yup, it was a lot cheaper than a new suit. Thanks guys.
ImageUploadedByFreemasonry1375907039.426445.jpg

Freemason Connect HD

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Wow, don't know of any occasion in Kentucky where I would need a tux although a suit is required frequently. Masonry is very different the world over.

MaineMason

In my jurisdiction in the US, the Grand Lodge of Maine, tuxes are universally worn by officers during degree work or installations and mostly worn by officers during stated meetings though a business suit is sometimes worn for stated meetings by officers and always by those on the sidelines. 33rds in Scottish Rite wear white tie and tails, others, black tie and dinner jacket. In "Red Lodge" (Royal Arch) officers and companions wear red ties. A dress kilt, if one has a family tartan, also is sometimes seen. I agree with other commenting brethren that a tux can often be had on the cheap, however like many of them, I cannot speak for South Africa. When I was raised, I wore a business suit but my father, who did the raising, wore a tux as well as the officers. I wish you the best of luck, brother, however conform to the standard of your lodge as far as you are able.

Lazza21

Here in the UK one Lodge I visit requires a Dinner Suit (Tuxedo in the USA) or Morning Dress at all meetings but in most Lodges it's a dark suit,white shirt and black or approved Masonic Tie. Morning Dress is usually worn by visiting dignitaries i.e. Grand Lodge or Provincial Grand Officers.

hanzosbm

Premium Member
Morning Dress ?
Yes, sadly, here in the US we as a society have all but forgotten what proper dress is. I'm getting married in September and I'm making sure to send all of my groomsmen a link to the Black Tie Guide ( http://www.blacktieguide.com/ ) as I don't trust the average man to know how to properly dress semi-formal. Lord knows any award show you see on TV is completely missing those in the know.

Edited to add: BroBook, the above wasn't meant as any kind of slight to you. Most men in the US have never heard of Morning Dress (I was going to prescribe it for my wedding party, but it's next to impossible to even find in this country). Google Morning Dress though and I think you'll recognize it.

MaineMason

Most brothers wear slacks and a polo shirt in Kentucky.
I suspect there is nothing wrong with more informal dress if the Master and the Grand Lodge approves, especially when the weather begins to heat up (and contrary to popular belief, it's not cold ALL the time in Maine!) and that can be seen in some of our lodges especially in June before we go dark for the Summer (some go dark in January and February here because of heating costs) . The nice thing, in my opinion, about how the various Grand Lodges work in the US is that each is autonomous and can cater to local traditions and give the individual lodges leeway. I would love to visit a lodge in Kentucky (partly because I am also a Kentucky Colonel) and would bring a suit to be prepared, but also a nice Brooks Brother's polo and slacks just in case.

MaineMason

Here in the UK one Lodge I visit requires a Dinner Suit (Tuxedo in the USA) or Morning Dress at all meetings but in most Lodges it's a dark suit,white shirt and black or approved Masonic Tie. Morning Dress is usually worn by visiting dignitaries i.e. Grand Lodge or Provincial Grand Officers.

We tend to be formal in Maine as well. Especially at Scottish Rite meetings. In Chapter, we all wear red ties.

Otis

Premium Member
Here in Pennsylvania:
Officers must wear.....
• a black tailcoat,
• black vest
• a white tux shirt - with pleats and a regular dress-shirt collar
• black bow tie
• black tux pants
• black socks and shoes
• white gloves, without frills or emblems

MaineMason

Here in Pennsylvania:
Officers must wear.....
• a black tailcoat,
• black vest
• a white tux shirt - with pleats and a regular dress-shirt collar
• black bow tie
• black tux pants
• black socks and shoes
• white gloves, without frills or emblems
The Grand Lodge of Maine allows the Square and Compasses on white gloves.