My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what is the first step in becoming a Freemason?

Derinique Kendrick

Decide which grand lodge you want to join. Your options will probably be limited under the Grand Lodge of Georgia but Gate City Lodge #2 has a few Black members if memory serves me correct.

@Derinique Kendrick may be able to assist you if you are interested in the Prince Hall side. I believe he is from Georgia. Send him a private message or maybe he will respond. Best of luck to you!
Thanks for referring my name, brother. He hasn't reached out to me as of yet. Hopefully he decides which route he wants to take and knocks.

Clovis R Cassiani

Greetings to all members. Please, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Clovis, I am 34 years old, from Brazil. I've come across this forum due to my profund desire to become a Mason. Please, understand that I come here with the utmost respect. Since my early days, I have been curious about Masonry. For a long time, I knew that I did not have the qualities (if I may say so) that are inherent to a Mason. I would say that, despite still being (and probably will be for a good few years) "crude", I was able to better myself, by my own means. Once, a good friend told me that "You do not seek Masonry, It will come to you in the right time". If this is the truth, I do not know, but it somehow it makes sense to me. I do know some Masons in my city and some months ago, I built the courage to approach one of them, which happens to be a family friend, and ask him about Masonry and the desire I felt in becoming a Mason. He was more than pleased to hear my comments, to explain some of the "procedures" (please forgive me if this is not the correct word for it) and share that he too, before becoming one, had the same desire I carry now. He said that, knowing me, he understood that I had the characteristics desired in someone interested about becoming a Mason. He offered himself in telling the WM about my desire.

This was about two months ago, he never mentioned Masonry on our usual family meetings.

Assuming that he was able to talk with the WM about my intention: Would this be considered a petition ? Does it usually take that time to "process" my petition ? Would I know if my petition was rejected ?

Thanks everyone, for reading my comments.

I remain at your service.

Thank You

C

dfreybur

Premium Member
In most jurisdictions there are no invitations, so Masonry never comes to any man. We have to come to Masonry. Unless you live in the territory of one of the rare jurisdictions that do function by invitation your friend did you and us a disservice.

A petition is a paper application. Asking verbally starts the process but is not a petition. Please ask your family friend what your next step is to get a petition.