My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you do?

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
If your officers do not show up on a regular basis to your meetings and functions, would you move them through the line just because they are in line? I like the thought of the line to progress through, because it gives you a little more at a time for experience purposes. But I have other thoughts of why it could hurt the fraternity that I care so much for. What are your thoughts/opinions, go!

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
Short answer no. Long answer no. The progressive line can be abused. All elections/votes should be for the good of the craft not the convince of the lazy. When I finally set in the East I want it to because I earned it not because I was next.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Short answer no. Long answer no. The progressive line can be abused. All elections/votes should be for the good of the craft not the convince of the lazy. When I finally set in the East I want it to because I earned it not because I was next.
I feel the same way. If an officer does not regularly attend to his duties why should he progress through the line simply due to seniority in the line.

dfreybur

Premium Member
If your lodge has the luxury of choice of brothers to go into the line, then don't advance officers who don't do the work. If your lodge has the very common situation of the SW needing to spend half his year talking up his line just to fill it with anyone, there's really no choice but to advance brothers through the line.

Fortunately, by the time they are wardens I've seen brothers step up. There's a switch from the WM/SW/JW asking each other if there are any more active brothers to fill that chair next year, to wow he just got installed in a wardens chair and he stepped up and got it done. Not something to be banked on but it does happen a lot of the times.

rpbrown

Premium Member
I am the SW for our lodge and having to make those decisions for next year. We have a few of our officers that do not come on a consistent basis at all. In fact, one has not made it since the first stated meeting after installation and then he left half way through the meeting. I have some newly raised Master Masons that I am looking to move into the line of officers.