My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you like to see changed in Masonry?

CLewey44

As they say on the MRF homepage, many new Masons come into the Craft knowing more about Masonry than some members that have been in it for years or decades. However, they are often times disappointed or unimpressed with how things are going in their Blue Lodge and therefore stop going or give it up all together. As they say on the site, It's an attempt to bring back the 'awe' of Masonry and turn it less into a social, civil club to a deeply esoteric Order of philosophical, like-minded men.

Despite my initial post, I've now officially babbled on lol.

CLewey44

Creating a “standard” would be next to impossible, though I’d love to see the TO model become the norm.
The only way maybe would be to let the "sub-standard" lodges die a slow death as they currently are anyways or change them and then only the strong lodges would remain. Eventually, the only remaining lodges would likely be TO (or close to it) as long as they are popping up and available.That probably won't be in my lifetime but when you think long term on how things evolve and change, it may just go down like that. In Rochy, we have had more than one lodge close since I've been here only a yearish and they finally have a T.O. lodge that is quickly growing as is the interest in it.

Everything goes through difficult times and either it withers away or changes/evolves.

Pointwithinacircle3

Here is an idea that all the old timers will hate. Every Lodge should sponsor a Toastmasters group. Every new Mason could be encouraged to join and make their presentations to the Lodge. Maybe "making good men better" is work. If we don't encourage newcomers to do any work how are we making them better?

CLewey44

Here is an idea that all the old timers will hate. Every Lodge should sponsor a Toastmasters group. Every new Mason could be encouraged to join and make their presentations to the Lodge. Maybe "making good men better" is work. If we don't encourage newcomers to do any work how are we making them better?
I like it. It'd help guard the West I think as well.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Bro. Warrior, these links have good resources. The Eight Steps one is specifically some things that essentially make up a T.O. lodge. Pretty interesting stuff. I am not sure, but it's how I imagine most overseas lodges are. Specifically in Europe, India (as one Bro. had posted some pics here), Istanbul and other places.
This explains one piece of ritual that is usually excluded from other Blue Lodges.
Thank you Brother. Very informative.

David612

No idea how it fits in masonry as a whole but I’d love to see more education and ritual, personally I don’t care about business meetings, for a new candidate being exposed to the initiation then facing months of business meetings with no education or practice could be a huge let down, mentors should also consider the weight of taking on a charge for instruction, the lodge should be the source of information for the breathen not the internet.

cemab4y

Premium Member
Most (nearly all) business meetings, are very boring. I would like to see the minutes published on-line, and then when the membership attends the business meeting, just have a quick vote, and if there are no additions, deletions, or corrections to the minutes, approve them immediately. And much of the routine business should be conducted in executive session. Meetings should be "show business" not "Lodge business". Interesting, informative programs will get men to attend.

CLewey44

Most (nearly all) business meetings, are very boring. I would like to see the minutes published on-line, and then when the membership attends the business meeting, just have a quick vote, and if there are no additions, deletions, or corrections to the minutes, approve them immediately. And much of the routine business should be conducted in executive session. Meetings should be "show business" not "Lodge business". Interesting, informative programs will get men to attend.
I think that'd definitely help. It'd shave 5 or 10 minutes off. I think a trifold type program printout given out before each meeting would be nice to scan over with a brief explanation of the minutes/business type things. Maybe the Tyler could give them out upon the brethren entering the lodge. Plus it'd be a nice takeaway from each meeting. Also, the older gentlemen that never check email or don't even have an email account would have something to look over. The program may would say a timeline of events: 1900: Opening, 1915: Greetings to Visiting Brethren and Vote on business 1920: Discussion/Education/Presentation 1940/45 Sick and Distressed etc. etc. On one page show last meeting's minutes.

cemab4y

Premium Member
Last year CA passed a rule forbidding email minutes. They are required to be read in lodge. Silly, if you ask me.

I would not expect such a ruling from a hi-tech state like California. As long as the lodge minutes do not contain any sensitive or personal information, like a brother's financial condition, or medical information, there should be no objection to lodge minutes being posted on-line.

cemab4y

Premium Member
I would like to see lodges reach out to inactive members. With our aging membership cohort, there are many Masons who pay their dues regularly but do not attend lodge. We should be contacting them frequently. Maybe they have poor night vision, and cannot drive at night. Then we can volunteer to carpool them to lodge. Maybe they have medical issues, and would appreciate a visit.

Also, inactive Masons could be asked direct questions, about why they choose to pay dues, but not attend lodge. The inactives could offer their reasons, and the lodge make changes accordingly.

David612

Im thinking of starting a social group aimed at young guys outside of masonry with the end goal of attracting more guys to masonry, being an EA The scope in which I can help the lodge in an offical capacity is limited but as this wouldn’t be a sanctioned Masonic anything. Me and my mates that I think would be good candidates, maybe thy invite some friends... and so on.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I would like to see the minutes published on-line, and then when the membership attends the business meeting, just have a quick vote, and if there are no additions, deletions, or corrections to the minutes, approve them immediately. And much of the routine business should be conducted in executive session. Meetings should be "show business" not "Lodge business". Interesting, informative programs will get men to attend.
Agreed!
I would like to see lodges reach out to inactive members. With our aging membership cohort, there are many Masons who pay their dues regularly but do not attend lodge. We should be contacting them frequently. Maybe they have poor night vision, and cannot drive at night. Then we can volunteer to carpool them to lodge. Maybe they have medical issues, and would appreciate a visit.
Again, agreed!

Bloke

Premium Member
Last year CA passed a rule forbidding email minutes. They are required to be read in lodge. Silly, if you ask me.
OMG..... sorry to sound disrespectful to CA but , how STUPID is that. Fortunately, I am unaware of any lodge here which still reads its minutes. Sure, it does not take long, but nonetheless it's complete waste of time, the record and any amendments are already sorted before the meeting when emailed - and reading them is actually less effective to achieve the purpose of the minutes - a shared documented record of what went on.

Bloke

Premium Member
Im thinking of starting a social group aimed at young guys outside of masonry with the end goal of attracting more guys to masonry, being an EA The scope in which I can help the lodge in an offical capacity is limited but as this wouldn’t be a sanctioned Masonic anything. Me and my mates that I think would be good candidates, maybe thy invite some friends... and so on.

There is such a group in SA - but not sure how active it is. Once started in Victoria, and has spread - even going international. Reach out to The Blue Lounge Social Club via facebook, or failing that, their web site here http://blueloungesc.com/international-association-of-blue-lounge-social-clubs/