My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you like to see changed in Masonry?

cemab4y

Premium Member
Im thinking of starting a social group aimed at young guys outside of masonry with the end goal of attracting more guys to masonry, being an EA The scope in which I can help the lodge in an offical capacity is limited but as this wouldn’t be a sanctioned Masonic anything. Me and my mates that I think would be good candidates, maybe thy invite some friends... and so on.

Terrific Idea! When I lived in New Hampshire (1982), I participated in a "Square and Compass" club. It is an informal organization, where the masons have barbecues and family events. The meetings are open to all, you can bring guests. People can get an "introduction" to Masonry, and see the types of men who are involved. Some of the guests, will be curious, and some will ask for petitions. Maybe you and your friends should consider setting up a Square and Compass club.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Does the GL forbid copying and distributing in the lodge. That’s the way my UT Lodges handle it. My UGLE bodies all email.
Sadly, yes, they do forbid it. The resolution that got carried over this year was to have copies at the Tyler’s station. The Monitor specifically states”The Secretary rises, signs and reads minutes...”
Email isn’t even on the table.

CLewey44

Really though, the minutes aren't that big of a deal and are the least of our problems. Typically they don't take more than five minutes or so. The worst is when and if you've been dark and you come back to light and you have two or three months of correspondence from GL built up. Email may be a little too far from the 'tradition' of reading them aloud. Plus, is it something you want to take away from your personal life to read when you are at home or work or should it be something that is read or given to you when you're in lodge and in that mode? In other words, is it better to take away time from your personal life for lodge minutes or Masonic Lodge time to get the minutes? To me, it needs to be in lodge in some form or fashion when I'm in that Masonic business frame of mind. Not with Beatbugs on the TV in the background or my daughter practicing 'Gravity' from Wicked up stairs. Worst yet, at work dealing with that.

Bloke

Premium Member
Really though, the minutes aren't that big of a deal and are the least of our problems. Typically they don't take more than five minutes or so....

Understood, and yet they are symptom of hanging onto old outmoded and ineffective ways of operating,.

Sadly, yes, they do forbid it. The resolution that got carried over this year was to have copies at the Tyler’s station. The Monitor specifically states”The Secretary rises, signs and reads minutes...”

Your really have to wonder what the thinking is and why that decision would be proposed and supported... and it's not a rhetorical question, what is the thinking which sees minutes not being put in the hands of members via essentially free and very expedient means ?

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
As a Christian, I mourn with those who stand in need of mourning. :)