My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you like to see changed in the Masonic experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cemab4y

Premium Member
One cause, that I would love to see Masonry (and possibly the appendants) take up, is adult literacy. It sounds incredible, but there are estimated 45 million adults in the USA that are functionally illiterate. See:

http://literacyprojectfoundation.org/community/statistics/

Freemasons were responsible for the first "free" (tax supported) public schools in the American colonies. Horace Mann (freemason) was a pioneer in educational reform, and his ideas changed the entire structure of elementary education in Massachusetts, and the entire USA. Masonry has a splendid tradition of supporting education.

We could use our lodge buildings to have classes, to teach reading skills to people. We could assist people who wish to read, with administrative support, books, etc.

Literacy is cost-effective. Illiteracy costs US taxpayers an estimated $20 Billion per year.

This would be a great project, and a way to continue our tradition. What do you think?

Companion Joe

Premium Member
I'm all for it. As a high school teacher, I can tell you first hand this is a worthy idea. We have an older member in our lodge whose reading and writing ability are very, very rudimentary. I have quietly offered to help him, but he always declines, saying he is too old.

I'd love it if we could work on some simple spelling and word usage for people who post on internet forums (this one included). I read some things, and it makes me cringe.

LAMason

Premium Member
...Horace Mann (freemason) was a pioneer in educational reform, and his ideas changed the entire structure of elementary education in Massachusetts, and the entire USA....

Individual Masons have always been involved in a lot of worthy endeavors, but that doesn't mean that they were Masonic projects.

Last edited:

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
One cause, that I would love to see Masonry (and possibly the appendants) take up, is adult literacy. It sounds incredible, but there are estimated 45 million adults in the USA that are functionally illiterate. See:

http://literacyprojectfoundation.org/community/statistics/

Freemasons were responsible for the first "free" (tax supported) public schools in the American colonies. Horace Mann (freemason) was a pioneer in educational reform, and his ideas changed the entire structure of elementary education in Massachusetts, and the entire USA. Masonry has a splendid tradition of supporting education.

We could use our lodge buildings to have classes, to teach reading skills to people. We could assist people who wish to read, with administrative support, books, etc.

Literacy is cost-effective. Illiteracy costs US taxpayers an estimated $20 Billion per year.

This would be a great project, and a way to continue our tradition. What do you think?
As much as I am FOR education in general, I believe your suggestion to be yet one more distraction that is offered up which keeps members focused upon things that Freemasonry has no business engaging in. The organization is plagued by distractions. This includes attached bodies that do nothing toward making good men Better. Sure, they might support some charitable cause, but they do not deliberately undertake the task of supporting betterment of the members. If you analyze what was done in the case of Brother Mann, the system he created was outside the organizational construct, as it should be. When the organization makes a man Better, he takes that betterment into the world and builds things that are not appended on the organization. What is built is separate; as it should be.

LAMason

Premium Member
Citation please.

Of course you can not supply a citation because it is not true.

Boston Latin School, the first public school in America was established by Puritan settlers in 1635, http://www.cityofboston.gov/freedomtrail/firstpublic.asp, which predates by some 85 years “The first Lodge meeting in the western hemisphere, the knowledge of which is supported by something more than pure tradition, was probably held in King’s Chapel, Boston, in 1720.” http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/history/first.html.

I don't know if you just make this stuff up on your own or read it on the internet and begin spreading it. A man I used to work with said he had a boss one time that would tell a lie 3 times and it would become the truth in his mind.

cemab4y

Premium Member
Individual Masons have always been involved in a lot of worthy endeavors, but that doesn't mean that they were Masonic projects.

See the links that I sent to you. The impact of Freemasonry and Freemasons on the establishment of public education in this country is undeniable. From Massachusetts to California, Masons have been front and center in the development and establishment of public education in the USA, and even before there was a USA.

How do you think Masonry could be more effective than what is already being done by Federal and State Governments?

http://www.princeton.edu/~ota/disk1/1993/9303/930307.PDF

Two words that never go together are "effective" and "government". The federal and state government runs:

Obamacare
AMTRAK
The postal service
The public school system
etc.

I used to be a federal employee. Take my word for it, the federal government is no place to look for "effective" or "efficient". The federal government is $18 TRILLION dollars in debt. They can't even figure how to balance the budget.

The federal government could not stop 19 thugs from hijacking the aircraft that crashed into the twin towers on Sept 11,2001 (and the two other planes). The federal government cannot keep drugs out of our country. The state governments cannot keep drugs out of the public schools and prisons. The federal government has spent many trillions of dollars on poverty programs (Remember LBJ's war on poverty? Poverty won), there are more people living in poverty now, since before the war on poverty. And remember the war in Vietnam? The US government could not defeat a fifth-rate bunch of rice farmers with bamboo sticks. Anyone who looks to government to solve problems is fooling themselves.

The public school systems in the USA are a disaster. Already, an estimated 45 million American adults cannot read at an 8th grade level.

The government operated schools are responsible for this. Can anyone think that the government can really make a significant impact in improving the literacy rate in the USA?

I believe sincerely, that individuals and non-government organizations can and should take the lead on this.

Last edited:

LAMason

Premium Member
Freemasons were responsible for the first "free" (tax supported) public schools in the American colonies.
I may have missed it, but I did not find anything in the links you posted that supports the statement you made.

From Massachusetts to California, Masons have been front and center in the development and establishment of public education in the USA, and even before there was a USA.

Individual Masons, not Grand Lodges/Lodges. Freemasonry as an organization can not lay claim the the accomplishments of individual Masons.

"The public school systems in the USA are a disaster."

"an estimated 45 million American adults cannot read at an 8th grade level."

"The government operated schools are responsible for this"

There certainly are some very bad public school systems in the USA, but there are also some very good public school systems in the USA. I have 3 Grandchildren in public schools right now, and they always score in the 95-99 percentiles on standardized tests. I have 2 daughters that were educated mostly in public schools, one has a PhD and the other has her Masters degree. I value education very highly, I have 2 undergraduate degrees and 2 Masters degrees and my wife has a Masters degree. One of my undergraduate degrees and one of my Masters degrees are in Secondary School Administration, I taught Math to students ranging from 6th grade to High School and served as an Assistant Principal before I changed careers in my late 20s. My wife's undergraduate and Masters degrees were in education and she also taught in the public schools. So, since you have such a negative view of public education were/are your children and grandchildren educated/being educated in private schools.

Again, while there are some bad public school systems in the USA, I can tell you from experience that the primary causes for poor academic performance by most students are environmental and mental ability. If you have a fix for that you really should share it.

Can anyone think that the government can really make a significant impact in improving the literacy rate in the USA?
To think that Grand Lodges/Masonic Lodges can really make a significant impact in improving the literacy rate in the USA is a pipe dream.

I believe sincerely, that individuals and non-government organizations can and should take the lead on this.[

Just because you "sincerely" believe it does not make it so.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I know there is a place for non profits in this and other needs we have in this country and I volunteer for 2 non profits myself, one supporting the homeless community and another that mentors small business owners and business startups. As far as the literacy problem there are many non profits doing good work in this area that are specifically equipped to handle this problem. Here is a list of a few: http://www.goodnet.org/articles/463.

Last edited:

cemab4y

Premium Member
I may have missed it, but I did not find anything in the links you posted that supports the statement you made.

See:

The first way that Freemasons affected the expansion of public education in the United

States was through the direct funding and construction of high schools, universities and other

types of schools. De Witt Clinton, who was Grand Master of New York, established the New

York Free School Society in 1809. This society provided free education to Freemason children

with voluntary donations from Freemasons. In addition to providing free education to over

600,000 students and training 1,200 teachers before its closure in 1854, this Society served

as a model for development of the public education system in New York and donated its

buildings and equipment to the public school system that had been founded in 1842 (Mackey

and Haywood 2003, p. 817).

Another example of the direct role that Freemasonry played in the actual construction

of public schools is provided by Woods (1936). Responding to a growing divide in the access

to public education between the North and the South during this period, the Masons of

eleven southern states were directly responsible for the construction of some 88 educational

institutions during the 1840s and 1850s.10 18 of these were schools were colleges which

represented nearly 10% of all colleges in these states.11 Further support of the importance of

public education to the Masons is that graduates of these universities, which were either free

or reasonably inexpensive, were either required or strongly encouraged to become teachers

in common schools.

10Woods (1936) notes that the motivation for this school construction was that \public education in the

South was much slower in getting under way".

11The state census records indicates that there were a total of 212 colleges in 1860 in the 11 states covered

byWoods (1936). These 18 schools were distributed across the 11 states as follows (the rst number indicates

the number of colleges built by Freemasons and the second number is the total number of colleges in that

state): Alabama (3/17), Arkansas (1/4), Florida (0/0), Georgia (5/32), Kentucky (3/20), Mississippi (1/13),

Missouri (1/36), North Carolina (1/16), South Carolina (1/14), Tennessee (4/35), Texas (1/25).

Individual Masons, not Grand Lodges/Lodges. Freemasonry as an organization can not lay claim the the accomplishments of individual Masons.

--I have never said, and I am not saying now, that any Lodge or Grand Lodge, is responsible for establishing public education in the Americas. BUT- Many individual Masons have remarkable accomplishments, and our Craft should be justifiably proud of this. Supporting and expanding education is one of our splendid traditions, and we can expand it to adult literacy.

There certainly are some very bad public school systems in the USA, but there are also some very good public school systems in the USA. I have 3 Grandchildren in public schools right now, and they always score in the 95-99 percentiles on standardized tests. I have 2 daughters that were educated mostly in public schools, one has a PhD and the other has her Masters degree. I value education very highly, I have 2 undergraduate degrees and 2 Masters degrees and my wife has a Masters degree. One of my undergraduate degrees and one of my Masters degrees are in Secondary School Administration, I taught Math to students ranging from 6th grade to High School and served as an Assistant Principal before I changed careers in my late 20s. My wife's undergraduate and Masters degrees were in education and she also taught in the public schools. So, since you have such a negative view of public education were/are your children and grandchildren educated/being educated in private schools.

( I have no children, nor grandchildren. If I did, I would be glad to send them to Fairfax County public schools)

--I am glad that your experiences have been so positive. I live in the WashDC metro area. Fairfax and Loudoun county (VA) have some excellent public schools. The District of Columbia spends $10,000 per pupil per year, and their public schools are a train wreck. Out of 100 Senators, 435 Representatives, and the Supreme Court, NONE send their children to DC public schools. President Obama sends his daughters to Sidwell Friends.
As far as I am concerned, sending a child to DC public schools, is an act of child abuse.

Again, while there are some bad public school systems in the USA, I can tell you from experience that the primary causes for poor academic performance by most students are environmental and mental ability. If you have a fix for that you really should share it.

--I am an engineer, not an academician. Myself, I support school choice, and vouchers. Break the teacher's unions. Here is an interesting link:

http://www.redefinedonline.org/2014/08/survey-1-in-5-school-teachers-send-kids-to-private-schools/

According to this survey, 28% of public school teachers send their own children to private schools (or have done so in the past), and 19% do so now. If that statistic alone does not make it clear to you, what will?

Public schools are run by the government.
"Government is like fire, a dangerous servant, and a terrible master" - George Washington, Freemason

To think that Grand Lodges/Masonic Lodges can really make a significant impact in improving the literacy rate in the USA is a pipe dream.

--Why not? A national program, perhaps working with other NGO's and with private funding, might work.

Just because you "sincerely" believe it does not make it so.

--I am not saying this as a fact. I believe it , notwithstanding.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I know there is a place for non profits in this and other needs we have in this country and I volunteer for 2 non profits myself, one supporting the homeless community and another that mentors small business owners and business startups. As far as the literacy problem there are many non profits doing good work in this area that are specifically equipped to handle this problem. Here is a list of a few: http://www.goodnet.org/articles/463.

--Splendid. I wish them well.

Last edited:

dfreybur

Premium Member
There existed individual schools paid for by taxes before Masonic involvement. Therefore Masonry was not the first meaning initial. This is the primary meaning of the word first.

In the US Masonry led the movement for public school systems to become universal across the country. Therefore Masonry was the first meaning in the lead. This is a secondary meaning for the word first.

cemab4y

Premium Member
Let's not let this degenerate into a discussion of how lousy the public schools (some of them) in the USA are. Let's keep it on point. The illiteracy rate in this country is a disgrace. It costs our economy $20 BILLION per year. It affects our national security, and economy. Can lodges/Grand Lodges help and assist people in learning how to read? I believe it can be done.

Let's not get into a semantic debate, either. Masons, Lodges, and Grand Lodges, and Grand Masters (ex: DeWitt Clinton of New York) have been in the forefront of establishing and expanding public education, since before we were a nation. Today, there are Masonic (affiliated) organizations like the Wolcott Foundation (High-Twelve), which provide academic scholarships for students to earn graduate degrees, at George Washington University.

see http://www.wolcottfoundation.com/index.html and http://www.high12.org/

cemab4y

Premium Member
As much as I am FOR education in general, I believe your suggestion to be yet one more distraction that is offered up which keeps members focused upon things that Freemasonry has no business engaging in.

==See the links I listed. If you know the history of Freemasonry's support for education, how can anyone believe that Freemasonry should not continue to be involved? Lodges, Grand Lodges, and some of the appendants finance scholarship programs.

The organization is plagued by distractions. This includes attached bodies that do nothing toward making good men Better.

==Most of the appendants are not interested in making good men better. Some of the appendants are for fun and fellowship (e.g. The Shrine). Some are for academic research (e.g. the COMILOR). I used to be a "Hillbilly". My wife and I would go out in the boondocks, and have a barbecue, and drink white lightning, and whoop it up all night. Did this make me a better man? No, but I had fun and fellowship.

Sure, they might support some charitable cause, but they do not deliberately undertake the task of supporting betterment of the members.

==Absolutely! Consider the Grotto, it is a fun organization that provides dental services to handicapped children. The Grotto makes no pretense about self improvement.

If you analyze what was done in the case of Brother Mann, the system he created was outside the organizational construct, as it should be. When the organization makes a man Better, he takes that betterment into the world and builds things that are not appended on the organization. What is built is separate; as it should be.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
As much as I am FOR education in general, I believe your suggestion to be yet one more distraction that is offered up which keeps members focused upon things that Freemasonry has no business engaging in.

==See the links I listed. If you know the history of Freemasonry's support for education, how can anyone believe that Freemasonry should not continue to be involved? Lodges, Grand Lodges, and some of the appendants finance scholarship programs.
I saw the links that you listed. I do know the history. Your generalization of my comment is illegitimately characterizing my response and it misleads. I was clear. What you are suggesting in your post ...

[re: We could use our lodge buildings to have classes, to teach reading skills to people. We could assist people who wish to read, with administrative support, books, etc.]

...is a distraction and should not be part of what the lodge currently does. I do not see your suggestion as continued involvement for the better. It is NOT what the lodge does. If a Lodge did its job, it would produce many men capable of making this occur OUTSIDE the organization. As it is now, most lodges don't do their job well. Hence the problems that currently plague the society. Well, that and the hundreds of superfluous distractions.

The organization is plagued by distractions. This includes attached bodies that do nothing toward making good men Better.

==Most of the appendants are not interested in making good men better.

I'm so very glad that you can both see and admit to this.

JJones

I wouldn't be interested in such a program. There are already countless causes being championed by innumerable organizations, the majority of which were probably actually founded with their primary cause in mind. Freemasonry is here to take men, who are already good, and help them to improve.
Such good men are free to join these other organizations we have just mentioned, and that's wonderful if they do, however I'm in agreement with Coach on the matter and, furthermore, I don't always feel as though we're doing a very good job with what we've already set out to do as it is.

cemab4y

Premium Member
OK, If Freemasonry (Grand Lodges/lodges) should not assist in the cause of adult literacy, then maybe one of the appendants could take it up. Freemasonry has for many years, been assisting in educational causes. Our lodges/GLs support scholarship programs. I am 1000% in favor of continuing to assist worthy individuals in obtaining college educations. The HighTwelve/Wolcott foundation a terrific program, enabling students to obtain graduate degrees in Public Service at George Washington University. With the rising cost of college, I believe we should expand our existing programs.

Many lodges make their buildings available to other programs and other organizations. Our buildings sit empty most of the time. I believe that we can keep true to our traditions, and also provide administrative and logistical support to adult literacy programs.

I am not an expert on the myriad of appendant bodies. I am familiar with the Shrine. Most people equate the Shrine with the hospital program. Of course, the Shriner's hospitals are fabulous. But people sometimes overlook, that the Shrine was started in 1872, as an organization where Masons could enjoy fine dining and fellowship with their wives. The first Shrine hospital opened in 1922, fifty years later.

cemab4y

Premium Member
I'm all for it. As a high school teacher, I can tell you first hand this is a worthy idea. We have an older member in our lodge whose reading and writing ability are very, very rudimentary. I have quietly offered to help him, but he always declines, saying he is too old.

I'd love it if we could work on some simple spelling and word usage for people who post on internet forums (this one included). I read some things, and it makes me cringe.

==Thanks for your comments. I am delighted to see that there are Masons who are supportive. Our lodges sit empty most of the time. I believe that we could serve as a catalyst. Our grand lodges (or an appendant) could work to set up adult literacy programs. We could get volunteer teachers and provide the textbooks. Then our lodges could contact community organizations to get the word to potential students.

"The opposite of civilization is indifference" - Elie Wiesel, Holocaust survivor and Nobel prize winner

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
When any GL or Lodge wants to make a significant difference for the world and to the members of the organization, each should start wholly supporting the Work that is spelled out within the first three degrees. And I am not talking about just memorizing and performing Ritual. I'm talking about all the things that Ritual points toward that are supposed to make the members "Masterful". Until any one of them does so, each is distracted from what it professes to be important to its members. You want to start any program that helps? Focus upon the Work that Ritual espouses first!

cemab4y

Premium Member
When any GL or Lodge wants to make a significant difference for the world and to the members of the organization, each should start wholly supporting the Work that is spelled out within the first three degrees. And I am not talking about just memorizing and performing Ritual. I'm talking about all the things that Ritual points toward that are supposed to make the members "Masterful". Until any one of them does so, each is distracted from what it professes to be important to its members. You want to start any program that helps? Focus upon the Work that Ritual espouses first!

--Supporting adult literacy, and self-improvement through Masonry are not mutually exclusive. Many GLs/lodges support community programs. And the appendants (combined with GLs/lodges) disburse about $2.6 million dollars per day in North America alone, for various charitable and humanitarian programs.

I believe sincerely, that we can "multi-task". If GLs are unable to sponsor adult literacy, then maybe one of the appendants could pick it up.

None of the appendants do the serious work of Freemasonry. The Rainbow and Job's daughters are for girls. The DeMolay is for young men. The Amaranth is co-educational. The Ladies Oriental Shrine is for women only. The huge majority of the charitable and humanitarian work is already performed by the appendants anyway.

I like to compare the appendant/concordant bodies to a "cafeteria of organizations". Each individual is free to participate in any of the organizations which appeal to him/her.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.