My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where are the Shriner's ?

LRG

Premium Member
Thanks for the congrats, my brother. I do hope that you did not think I made the fluff statement.

no not at all.

I as well understand frustration and brethren skipping out on BL for appendant bodies. But the BL still has many wonderful brothers.:sc:

Gerald.Harris

Premium Member
Premium Member
no not at all.

I as well understand frustration and brethren skipping out on BL for appendant bodies. But the BL still has many wonderful brothers.:sc:

The Blue Lodge - has all the best my brother, that is one of the things that has kept me going back week after week since 1976 when I was first iniated. I have had the pleasure of traveling and visiting lodges all over the US and Texas, and I always know that I am going to be surrounded by good men when I walk through the door of a Blue Lodge.
I am extremely lucky these days to see so many young energetic brothers coming into Masonry. They are picking up the slack, doing the bulk of the work in the lodge, hence leaving more time for me to finally get to do some of the other things I always wanted to do, like Scottish Rite, and Shrine.

cemab4y

Premium Member
The Shrine is like what Masonry is not. The Craft Lodge is private and serious. The Shrine is public and fun. The Shrine is the "yin" to the Craft Lodge "Yang". Like two opposite pillars, holding up a structure, the Shrine and the Craft lodge are two opposites, supporting the man.

I cherish the Shrine. (all the more, because I cannot participate in Afghanistan). I look forward to participating, when I finish the oversease work, and I can return to Northern Virginia. I was made a Shriner at Kena Shrine, Fairfax VA.

sands67

Premium Member
What I have found is that the the active members in my blue lodge handful joined our local Shrine club as well. Making both organizations in my area effective organizations to be in.

excellencee

Due to my schedule, I appologize for not participating more on this forum. A man goes through different "seasons" in life. Each season carries different interests, etc. A shift away from BL to other bodies could be a shift in intrests, or maybe more... I am a realitively young MM (43 yrs old but raised in 2010). Through my membership, my 3 sons and a younger brother joined. I was JW in 2011 and am SW this year, my youngest son is JW. I work various shifts and have skipped sleep and family time to attend Stated Meetings, Degrees, funerals, etc. Lately I've been a little upset with BL. When "more experienced Brothers" are hyper critical of my sons, who are learning degree work (raised in 2011) and have conferred degrees, it upsets me. One particular brother yells out during degrees with "his" corrections. He has been told that the degree has been changed but he is correct and the ritual book is wrong. If a brother chose to attend BL less due to situations like the above and attend SR or Shrine more, would he be wrong? Isn't it better for a Brother to remain active in Masonery in another body than drop out entirely?

masonicknight

I need to say first that I am not a Shrine Mason but I have seen many who fit into a couple of categories.

The first category is the dedicated Mason who is very involved in his Blue Lodge as well as his Shrine group. They get great satisfaction out of their memberships and perform gallantly in any position they are asked to do.

The second category is the one I have seen that concerns me. It is the one where the person has joined Freemasonry with only one intent, to become a Shriner. They have no intent of being involved in the Blue Lodge. I have seen many of these go through the degree work and immediately join Shrine never to be seen again. Some have told me that if they could not pay dues to Blue Lodge they would have no problem dropping it.

Add to the latter the call for assistance from the lodge and only a few show up or donate time or cash for what is needed. Let a special event take place for Shrine and you get a packed house and donations running over the top. I have seen arguments over the use of a pot, that is in the same storage area of the kitchen, because it was used by the Lodge and the owner was the Shrine. Yet the proceeds from the dinner benefited both groups.

We have all seen this. It can be discouraging, especially to those that know what is available and what is not when the call goes out.

The history of the Shrine includes an interesting thought from its founders. It was to be a place to relax from the work of the Lodge. It seems that some have forgotten this ideal. The Philanthropy came later.

RockBender

I have a question in regards to if there is any mutual recognituion agreement between the AAONMS (MS) and the AEAONMS, I was told that about 15 years ago one was signed.

Cerrdor

Here is one...

Noble Joseph el korah shrine, shrine clown association, jokers unit, southeast Idaho shrine club

Txmason

I have only been a Shriner since September 2011 and while I enjoy the people and what the Shrine does. I have found that many of the activities are located so far away.

Last edited:

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
Shrine has never really interested me, and hence I am not a member. It seems like it could be a gigantic time sucker, as men who get active in the Shrine line-up seem to disappear from all other things Masonic. I joined the Grotto, but didn't realize how fast it was dying and frankly seems that it might be a foregone conclusion in most places in the US in the next 10 years.

S&F,
-Bro Vick

Mac

Premium Member
Shrine has never really interested me, and hence I am not a member. It seems like it could be a gigantic time sucker, as men who get active in the Shrine line-up seem to disappear from all other things Masonic. I joined the Grotto, but didn't realize how fast it was dying and frankly seems that it might be a foregone conclusion in most places in the US in the next 10 years.
I wondered about that. I was thinking the Grotto might be alive and well in certain areas and the Shrine might be similarly less active in parts of the country. Is there a difference between the two, or are they both just social groups with funny headgear and philanthropies?

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
The Grotto for a long time was known as the poor mans Shrine, as it only required you to be a Master Mason in good standing from its inception, vice having to go through the Scottish Rite, which was a requirement until recently. They have a specific charter and don't have the large chartible work that the shrine has. Is it all that fun? Hasn't been yet, but when it is I will let you know. :)

S&F,
-Bro Vick

cemab4y

Premium Member
The Grotto is a fine organization. The Shrine is also a wonderful organization. The Shrine "complements" the masonic experience, and provides wholesome recreational acitivities, and all sorts of activities for the ladies! See

Home - Be A Shriner Now