Who are these Fellows?

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by 88DAM88, Jun 6, 2017.

1. 88DAM88

88DAM88 Registered User

In the Entered Apprentice degree "liturgy" and proficiency we find the word fellows " . . . among Brothers and Fellows . . ," " . . . as all Brothers and Fellows . . . " Does Fellows in these passages refer to Fellow Crafts? Or to, perhaps, Odd Fellows? If Fellow Crafts, does this imply that an Entered Apprentice is not a "Brother" until he is a Master Mason? Curious about the evolution and meaning of this point in the work.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  2. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

"One of the Early degrees"?

Most likley not Odd Fellows as they didnt apear intill 1730. And honestly has gone their own way.

Remember that the third degree is the youngest of the three.

3. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

4. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

Then its most likley not the OF.

5. Ripcord22A

6. 88DAM88

88DAM88 Registered User

Edited to clarify my inquiry: In the Entered Apprentice degree "liturgy" and proficiency we find the word fellows " . . . among Brothers and Fellows . . ," " . . . as all Brothers and Fellows . . . " Does Fellows in these passages refer to Fellow Crafts? Or to, perhaps, Odd Fellows? If Fellow Crafts, does this imply that an Entered Apprentice is not a "Brother" until he is a Master Mason? Curious about the evolution and meaning of this point in the work.

7. Elexir

Elexir Registered User

Depending on age we have to take out MM as this degree is the youngest and for some time fellowcraft was the highest degree. So its most likley refering to that.

Im not sure about your hangup with Odd Fellows as they are younger then modern Freemasonry (around 1720 the third degree was added and Odd Fellows didnt apear until 1730)

8. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

Originally, Brothers were full fledged members, and more specifically: EAs. This was all that was required to join the roll playing society when the PGL first franchised all this stuff we do.

Fellows were the Masters of the Lodge, and they were the FCs. It was the highest title and "the Master's part" was what a member had to experience to become a FC.

This all changed soon after the PGL turned the task of making FCs over to the lodges and the MM was offered as an option soon thereafter.

No, "fellows" here is NOT an Odd Fellows thingy.

see: http://buildinghiram.blogspot.com/2017/03/a-brother-asks-what-is-highest-degree.html
    and: http://buildinghiram.blogspot.com/2017/03/a-brother-asks-about-highest-degree-post.html

for more information on this and other related stuff.

9. 88DAM88

88DAM88 Registered User

Just a question and a possible postualtion. No "hangup." Pure inquiry, Brother, Odd Fellows included as nearly facetious humor, truth be told. Breathe.
    Excellent. Thank you, Brother. Very enlightening.

coachn likes this.
  10. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

I seem to have the impression your not a Freemason. Either way "liturgy" is not a accurate word to use in respect to Freemasonry. That said, it was a good question.

11. Ripcord22A

Had to look thatbword up...lol....a synonym for it is ritual so i guess it could be used. However Insee your point Brother

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Bloke likes this.
  12. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

If I'm not mistaken (and I often am) it comes from Fellow of the Craft, an earlier term.

13. jermy Bell

jermy Bell Registered User

I have been a Mm for around 3 years, and have wondered about the fellows part as well, and had asked who the fellows were, and I know 7 grand lectures, and they couldn't answer that question either.

14. Ripcord22A

My opinion is that it is refering to initiates who are not yet brothers.

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

15. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Great info! Thanks coachn.

coachn likes this.
  16. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

That might be it. It really depends on how it's used. I assume Coach has done a fair bit of study on this, but I've only considered it in the context of our ritual and it's didn't really matter because "brethren and fellows" is only symbolic in a play acting troop and hence we should attach too much importance on it :p

But seriously, it appears in our ritual once (that I've noticed) in the 3rd talking about "correcting" others and it quite an interesting paragraph. It also starts "In the character of a master mason.."and i seriously wonder if that means when acting as a MM or being a MM or if it's about other people. Like a lot of things, it might have layers. Then of course there's "brethren and fellows" and if fellows are a subgroup of the first or something different, including FC's or just fellow humans.

17. coachn

If you read "The Craft Unmasked!", the evidence (that made it into the book) is pretty clear

88DAM88 likes this.
  18. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Not yet Coach but it's for a mention often enough to think I should. Thanks.

19. coachn

If you do, I recommend reading "Building Free Men" first as it was the inspiration for TCU.

20. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Again. Thanks.

coachn likes this.

Share My Freemasonry