My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who gives GL charters

mrpierce17

KOP Council director / Lodge instructor
Premium Member
Is every GL of state chartered directly from the UGLE OR GL of Scotland or have some been chartered by way of dispensation from another GL of state

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Most states west of the Appalachians have had their GLs chartered from GLs from the original 13 colonies. (This isn't absolute and 100 percent; I say "for the most part.")

For example, the GL of Tennessee was begat by the GL of North Carolina. In turn, the GL of Tennessee granted life to a few GLs west of us.

MarkR

Premium Member
I don't know of any Grand Lodges that were "chartered" by other Grand Lodges. I could be wrong, but that's not my understanding of how it works. Lodges receive charters. In the case of the United States, lodges that had been chartered by England, Ireland, or Scotland, either directly or via Provincial Grand lodges, met and formed state Grand Lodges after the Revolution. Then, as expansion occurred, these new state Grand Lodges would charter lodges in territories that didn't have a Grand Lodge. Eventually, there were enough lodges operating in these new territories that they met and formed their own Grand Lodges, surrendering their original charters back to the states that had issued them.

For example, my state of Minnesota had the first three lodges chartered by Illinois, Ohio, and Wisconsin. Those three lodges met and formed the Grand Lodge of Minnesota and surrendered their original charters back to the respective states, receiving new charters as Lodges 1, 2, and 3 of the new Grand Lodge of Minnesota. So, the Grand Lodge of Minnesota was not "chartered" by Illinois, Ohio, or Wisconsin; it was created by three lodges that had originally been chartered by those states.

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
Individual lodges in territorial Arkansas were chartered by existing grand lodges, from Kentucky, Tennessee, Louisiana, and Alabama. Once we had four lodges in the area, they met in Little Rock in November 1838 and formed themselves into the Grand Lodge of Arkansas. Only two of the original 4 lodges are still active, Washington #1 in Fayetteville, and Western Star #2 in Little Rock.

Erickson Ybarra

Individual lodges in territorial Arkansas were chartered by existing grand lodges, from Kentucky, Tennessee, Louisiana, and Alabama. Once we had four lodges in the area, they met in Little Rock in November 1838 and formed themselves into the Grand Lodge of Arkansas. Only two of the original 4 lodges are still active, Washington #1 in Fayetteville, and Western Star #2 in Little Rock.

Similar situation in Texas. Three lodges were chartered by the Grand Lodge of Louisiana, which then met under Sam Houston and created the Grand Lodge of the Republic of Texas...later changed to The Grand Lodge of Texas when we gained statehood.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Grand lodges issue charters to lodges, not to grand lodges. Regular grand lodges do not have *charters* as such. Grand lodges organize themselves from regular and recognized lodges in their territory and then apply for *recognition* from other grand lodges. At the formation those lodges surrender their charters to their original jurisdictions and receive new charters from their new grand lodge.

If your grand lodges lists a charter for any reason other than declaring itself a non-profit corporation in its own state *after* having been recognized by other grand lodges, that's a hint its formation was not regular. It may well have a declaration adopting its initial constitution and bylaws, but calling such a historical document a charter is a tactical error at best, an admission of clandestine origin at worst.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
GLNM was founded by three military lodges originally chartered by GLMO. The three met, made the decision, and changed the numbers on the lodges.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
I know there are a lot of clandestine lodges that broke away from Prince Hall, but are there any clandestine lodges that are offshoots of of "mainstream" masonry ? I hate to use mainstream because we are all brothers, but I will use it for the sake of this question.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Verbiage aside ("chartered" or "approved"), it's safe to say that most state GLs were given the green light by an existing GL to form. If they didn't, most likely they would have never been recognized.

In my example for Tennessee, there were nine lodges west of the Appalachians. My particular lodge was chartered as No. 43 of North Carolina/No. 3 of Tennessee in 1801. (We actually never gave up that charter and still have it in the safe). In 1813, those lodges petitioned the GLofNC for permission to break free and form the GLofT. They didn't just say "This is happening" or something similar. My fourth great grandfather was a member of my lodge and chairman of the committee that got it done. Reps from the GLofNC were on hand at the official formation ceremony in Knoxville to pass the torch, so to speak.

The trickle down later happened when lodges chartered by the GLofT in a couple of other states requested permission to form their own GLs. Whether or not GLs are "chartered," there was some kind of blessing given and a traceable family tree, so to speak.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I know there are a lot of clandestine lodges that broke away from Prince Hall, but are there any clandestine lodges that are offshoots of of "mainstream" masonry ? I hate to use mainstream because we are all brothers, but I will use it for the sake of this question.
Very few in the U.S. More common in Europe.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
Bro. Cook,
I guess you posted those links to back up what I was saying. I earlier said nine lodges, but it was actually eight because by the time of the formation of the GL, Nashville No. 1 had folded.

MarkR

Premium Member
Halcyon Lodge in Ohio broke off and became part of the clandestine Grand Orient of the United States.