My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Affiliation to Another Jurisdiction

zouzoum

Hello ,

I have affiliated to another Grand lodge recognised by my Mother's grand lodge of course.
However, this grand lodge which i affiliated to is in amity with another grand lodge which is not recognised by my mother's grand lodge.

There are mutual visitations . How to go about that ?

Bloke

Premium Member
If you're a member of a GL that is not with amity with another jurisdiction, then I would suggest, Constitutionally, that you could not visit there.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Some jurisdictions have a rule to act like the locals. In this case you stay in your new lodge and enjoy your visitors.

Other jurisdictions have a rule to act like you are at home no matter where you are. In this case you thank everyone and sign out.

How easy is it to find the rules for both jurisdictions? In theory you need to do the most restrictive of them. In practice if it's not easy to figure out what the rules are, be generous.

Bloke

Premium Member
Some jurisdictions have a rule to act like the locals. In this case you stay in your new lodge and enjoy your visitors.

Other jurisdictions have a rule to act like you are at home no matter where you are. In this case you thank everyone and sign out.

How easy is it to find the rules for both jurisdictions? In theory you need to do the most restrictive of them. In practice if it's not easy to figure out what the rules are, be generous.
I would not sign the appearance book, it's prima facie evidence you've been a naughty boy..

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Hello ,

I have affiliated to another Grand lodge recognised by my Mother's grand lodge of course.
However, this grand lodge which i affiliated to is in amity with another grand lodge which is not recognised by my mother's grand lodge.

Call your original GL. As indicated by Br Doug, some have the “when in Rome Rule”, others do not.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
As I understand it in my jurisdiction there is no hard and fast rule on this. However, I have been advised that, to be on the safe side, I should leave the meeting if someone from a lodge that is not in amity with my mother jurisdiction should arrive.

Last edited:

dfreybur

Premium Member
I would not sign the appearance book, it's prima facie evidence you've been a naughty boy..

Although I am obedient, I am remarkably disinterested in enforcement for the sake of following the rules. Or of looking like I am a naughty boy.