My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenges on the street

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I was simply clarifying. I missed the part where you said in the Black community. You mentioned PHA. The point was that the bogus lodges use 4 letters often.
No. That is primarily in the black freemasonry, not clandestine lodges per se

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Though not reliable in "mainstream masonry, it's reliable within PHA masonry.
Lol. It's so funny because I've noticed when I meet a mason that is apart of an irregular lodge. The conversation goes, hey brother, what Lodge are you apart of ' ' oh okay. So your PH. I say yes and I ask what Lodge are they in and it's some off the wall name and the GL sounds like something made up two days ago. Then conversation almost always end with were not PH but we are just like them.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
The conversation goes, hey brother, what Lodge are you apart of ' ' oh okay. So your PH. I say yes and I ask what Lodge are they in and it's some off the wall name and the GL sounds like something made up two days ago. Then conversation almost always end with were not PH but we are just like them.
Lol, I like that. They are not PH but are "just like them".

AndreAshlar

Lol. It's so funny because I've noticed when I meet a mason that is apart of an irregular lodge. The conversation goes, hey brother, what Lodge are you apart of ' ' oh okay. So your PH. I say yes and I ask what Lodge are they in and it's some off the wall name and the GL sounds like something made up two days ago. Then conversation almost always end with were not PH but we are just like them.
That's why you gotta be careful. Even when you ask someone if they're Prince Hall. He can tell you yes, not be lying and still be irregular. He might be PHO. I always ask specifically if they are PHA!

Last edited:

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
Prince Hall Origin (National Compact) - irregular. PHO reported became extinct at some point and another clandestine group revived it. It reportedly isn't the same as the original PHO which shared lineage with PHA until the split. I haven't researched it thoroughly but that is what I have picked up so far. So take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

mrpierce17

KOP Council director / Lodge instructor
Premium Member
That's why you gotta be careful. Even when you ask someone if they're Prince Hall. He can tell you yes, not be lying and still be irregular. He might be PHO. I always ask specifically if they are PHA!
I just ask what GL are you working under it saves a lot of time and confusion if they are Prince Hall Affiliated , GL should be The Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge of said state ( with the exception of Florida witch adds union in their name , Mississippi uses Stringer in their name & Liberia witch is 4 letter AF&AM and actually uses Regular in their name) ALL others are MWPH GL of state

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
I do the same now, it's easier than trying to explain what subordinate lodge your in and where it's located, unless they are familiar with the area you live in. Not too long after I was raised, I remember meeting a guy in a restaurant establishment. While I was eating he either noticed my ball cap or ring. He came to my table and shook my hand. After shaking my hand he introduced himself said what subordinate lodge he was from. Not being familiar with all subordinate lodges in Alabama, (BECAUSE THERE ARE SO MANY IN EACH STATE) I had to ask his affiliation. He said PHA. From that day on, I only ask what GL are you from. That nips it in the bud right there and prevents a conversation from turning Masonic if you can find out if there are clandestine from the start.

Last edited:

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
From the GL Utah Fraternal Relations Report today:
We do wish to take the opportunity to again caution about interaction with clandestine Masons, but from a different vantage point. For centuries, the primary caution has been to ensure the lodge one visits is a regular lodge. With the advent of social media, we must be particular about the admonition to avoid engaging in Masonic intercourse with clandestine Masons. Many of these individuals, to be fair, are unaware that their grand lodge is clandestine, and do not set out to purposely mislead. Others have a designed pattern of deception. While we should be respectful and courteous, that does not extend to conversing on the secrets of Freemasonry.

Bloke

Premium Member
From the GL Utah Fraternal Relations Report today:....... With the advent of social media, we must be particular about the admonition to avoid engaging in Masonic intercourse with clandestine Masons..... While we should be respectful and courteous, that does not extend to conversing on the secrets of Freemasonry.

So what is Masonic Intercourse ? I assume it does not involve taking your clothes off :)

For me, being a Freemasons does not restrict our Freedom of Association. ... To me, the focus in the above is "does not extend to conversing on the secrets of Freemasonry."..... Obligations and Constitutions vary. For me, I cannot write the secrets of freemasonry.. which means I cannot share the signs, tokens and words associated with them... I cannot enter a lodge with a brother (or sister) who we are not in amity with... but I must say I've learned a lot speaking to brothers AND sisters on the web and I am able to do that without violating my obligation or Constitution... The reality is, Freemasons on the web might be interested in ritual and differences in jurisdictions, but never ask about "secrets" because they know them, and even if they know they vary and are curious, they aint gonna ask about them... that's why it is great to get visitors from other jurisdictions who are in amity - because you can learn a lot..

Me, I am more than happy to tell you details like we take our obligations in the east and do not have a pedestal in the middle of the lodge (like many American lodges do). Here, we do not regard these things as "secrets". However I can also feel brothers reading sometimes shift in their seats in discomfort as they read something they see which they feel cannot be written, and I try to respect that... knowing that line is much harder than knowing my obligations..

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Your second paragraph answers that. Just a term that is used to describe not discussing the secrets of Freemasonry with a clandestine mason or any other person.
I see where brother Bloke is coming from. I thought every regular freemason took the same obligation, but after joining this forum and reading a thread earlier last year I realized that was not so. I guess what bounds one brother, May not bound the other.