My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Christianity in Freemasonry

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Exactly. The building of King Solomon's Temple is not a story that appears in the Analects of Confucius, the Tao Te Ching of Lao Tsu and so on in any of the scriptures you can think of outside of the JCI family.

The stories only appear in the Old Testament. As you point out in the OT the references we find are much more brief than the longer versions we learn in our degrees.
Thanks!

Bloke

Premium Member
The question should be whether Masonry is compatible with other religions or not.

We should change the language "with other religions" might suggest to the casual reader that Freemasonry itself is a religion which we know is not correct..

The question should be "Is Freemasonry compatible with the religious beliefs and membership of churches that Freemasons attend"

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
We should change the language "with other religions" might suggest to the casual reader that Freemasonry itself is a religion which we know is not correct..

The question should be "Is Freemasonry compatible with the religious beliefs and membership of churches that Freemasons attend"
Here are two other ways:

1) The question could be expanded to include whether Masonry is compatible with religions other than the specific one already mentioned.

or more specifically...

2) The question could be expanded to include whether Masonry is compatible with religions other than Christianity.

Bloke

Premium Member
It's interesting Coach - here we just don't equate Christianity with Freemasonry. A Bible is a VSL here, which sits beside the Koran which is another VSL. I've only been around a decade, but Melbourne Freemasonry has always had a strong Jewish presence - which I guess has provided a strong counter point making us aware of our diversity... which we are proud of and are always talking about..

Last edited:

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
I'm still trying to figure out where everyone sees "christianity" in Lodge... it's all Old Testament.

As a Christian I do see Christianity in lodge. Also being that Christians view the OT as part of our Holy Book (it's also the bulk of our Holy Book as it's much longer than the NT) we interpret and view things from a Christian understanding*.

However, I hope a brother of another religion would also see their religion present.

*This can vary a lot!

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
As a Christian I do see Christianity in lodge. Also being that Christians view the OT as part of our Holy Book (it's also the bulk of our Holy Book as it's much longer than the NT) we interpret and view things from a Christian understanding*.

However, I hope a brother of another religion would also see their religion present.
IF he is Jewish or Muslim you don't need to hope as the OT is the foundation of both of those religions too.

This is why Judaism, Christianity and Islam are called the "Abrahamic faiths" or as the Muslim would have it "People of the Book" .

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Does the quoting of scripture from a specific faith within a morality play make the organization who puts on those plays the faith of what was quoted?

Bloke

Premium Member
Does the quoting of scripture from a specific faith within a morality play make the organization who puts on those plays the faith of what was quoted?

Indeed. Going further, Christians are not even the only ones who view the NT as sacred writings, viz Islam and Bahai, but within ALL 3 views of the NT vary greatly from unquestionable "word" to a faulted document of great merit and from which they draw their teachings...

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Indeed. Going further, Christians are not even the only ones who view the NT as sacred writings, viz Islam and Bahai, but within ALL 3 views of the NT vary greatly from unquestionable "word" to a faulted document of great merit and from which they draw their teachings...
So, you believe that quoting scripture makes you the religion of the scripture you use?

Bloke

Premium Member
That reads a bit snarky on my part. I was agreeing with you that reading a certain religions text does not make you part of that religion and going further by saying there are scriptures, including the NT which several religions (Bahai, Christianity and Islam) see as sacred writings, but even within a single religion like Christianity, their are diverse views of the New Testament .... with the NT not even being read only by Chistians as a sacred text, other religions seeing JC as a prophet...

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
That reads a bit snarky on my part. I was agreeing with you that reading a certain religions text does not make you part of that religion and going further by saying there are scriptures, including the NT which several religions (Bahai, Christianity and Islam) see as sacred writings, but even within a single religion like Christianity, their are diverse views of the New Testament .... with the NT not even being read only by Chistians as a sacred text, other religions seeing JC as a prophet...
Thanks for clarifying this.

dfreybur

Premium Member
So, you believe that quoting scripture makes you the religion of the scripture you use?

I'm not Hindu and I rather like quoting parts of the Bagavat Gita. I'm not Taoist and I rather like quoting parts of the Tao Te Ching. I am not Confucian and I rather like quoting parts of the Analects. And so on down a long time of Sacred Writings. I definitely don't believe that quoting scripture makes me a member of that religion.

Still, I have met men that when they hear scripture quoted they conclude that religion is intended. They may or may not have ever thought through why they make that conclusion.

Joseph Thornton

Woe be to him that reads but one book.

I see a lot of comments in this thread as intolerant to Christians. The same Christians that you view as intolerant.

As an evangelical Christian I do in fact have a limited view of Christianity. But I equally realize that it is my view and I cannot expect others to view Christianity the same way I do. As a mason I cannot expect other Masons to view God th same way I do.

Jason A. Mitchell

Premium Member
Freemasonry is often a controversial thing in the Church these days, I know. Why? Gnostic is a term I've heard used by Christians describing Freemasonry, but... I guess just what might be the reason for this? If Christianity is truly completely compatible, why is it so widely frowned upon and discouraged these days? It's like they think Masons all pray to false gods and practice voodoo...

I think it is less a theological incompatibility and more an institutional to wit. a power incompatibility. I'd wager those institutions arguing Masonry is incompatible with their beliefs, also hold that one's free time should be predominantly devoted to the church and the church community to the exclusion of all else.

Jason A. Mitchell

Premium Member
I belong to more than one organization that requires a belief in God but takes no position on religion. I'm told the Boy Scouts fall into this category as well. Any former Boy Scouts care to comment?

I'm Eagle and OA, and I'm disturbed by the increasing number of churches sponsoring troops and extending faith work into the troop, e.g. in Utah Scoutmaster is an LDS calling.