Christianity in Freemasonry

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by Purkaple, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Joseph Thornton

Joseph Thornton Registered User

As I said, I am only making assumptions. But I am pretty sure if I wanted to dig, finding SOMETHING on George Washington and Benjamin Franklin making plans in tavern / lodge wouldnt be a far stretch to connect.

2. Ressam

Ressam Registered User

IMHO, Freemasons were involved in The Enlightenment.
    Scientific-Technical Revolution/Progress. But, IMHO, too early. Firstly, satan must dissappear. Then, Doors to The Universe will be Opened, to Humanity.
    Also, "pumping oil" is very primitive way to produce Energy.
    It the Basis of The Earth. The Blood. It's not Logical to pump it till the End.
    Shortly, IMHO, Freemasonry is not Salvation.
    It's just good Gentlemen's Club.

3. Travelling Man91

Travelling Man91 Registered User

I wonder why in America it's so frowned upon, but in European countries it's not. If im not mistaken, wasnt freemasons involved in the Boston Tea Party, American Revolution, etc. Mainly conflicts that brought about social change ?

4. Ressam

Ressam Registered User

Not only "social change".
    These 2 things changed everything(!):
    1. Nuclear Weapons.
    2. Artifical Satellites(space debris).
    IMHO -- Freemasonry needs Huge-huge Transformation(Reformation).

5. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

Your conclusion is accurate, even if the reasons are not. Most Grand Lodges in the English speaking world are in real trouble with declining membership.

6. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Yes Freemasons were involved in almost every facet of the American revolution....but the fraternity was not!

Bloke and Zack like this.
  7. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

I'm still learning too :)

I think there is an idea Jacobitism(movement to restore Stewart Throne in Scotland and England) was connected with the Craft there and in France looking at England as a political opponent- and later with the Secret Societies Act (English) saw our masonic ancestors distance themselves from politics. Whether perception or reality, i'll let you do your own research and draw your own conclusions. Me, I think Scottish nationalism might have played a role, but as Coach says, there is a lot of romanticism and speculation in that. In the States, you had the Anti-Masonry Political Movement - another pressure which saw our masonic ancestors distance themselves from politics. This is one of the steps we took to ensure Freemasonry was seen as a peaceful, lawful and legitimate organisation and not a group of agitators which in turn did attract respected members, including Protestant Clergy - but also high profile Catholics like Dan O'Connell in the 1700's.

What is interesting to contemplate, is if you think Speculative Freemasonry predates the Protestant Reformation ( but bearing in mind Freemasonry was not a religious institution) was it catholic or heretic in nature ? I dont think will ever know... but I've never seen a "ancient charge" to obey the Pope.... all very interesting.

One thing for sure: people present speculation as fact in this space, but what we would call irregular European Freemasonry has engaged in religious politics and action in ways inconceivable to the regular Freemason. What's also interesting is several early founders of the Craft in South America were Catholic Clergy, something Rome seems to ignore, but I've only read a bit about the origins on Freemasonry in Sth America.

All interesting stuff. Where Axioms often prove false

And its full of "facts" like wonderful Masons at the Alamo - which fail to mention Santa Anna was also a Freemason

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    Joseph Thornton, Chaz and Ripcord22A like this.
  8. Ripcord22A

Alright you did it...you pissed me off! PLEASE JUST GO AWAY!

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2016
  9. Ripcord22A

10. Travelling Man91

You dont think the fraternity played a part at all ?

Ressam likes this.
  11. JamestheJust

Did they not have recognition signs?

12. Travelling Man91

What are recognition signs ? Can you elaborate please ?

13. JamestheJust

Recognition signs are those signs - that serve to identify a brother by day as well as by night - as a local ritual tells us.

If the brethren were "involved in almost every facet of the American revolution... but the fraternity was not" then it follows that the brethren were acting independently of the local lodges. This situation seems to me to be explainable only by the brethren not being able to recognize each other.

14. hanzosbm

hanzosbm Premium Member

Brother, while I am by no means defending this man, and I would love to see him gone, I would urge you to subdue your passions. You are the master of your thoughts and words, exercise temperance and patience and spread brotherhood.

Chaz, Winter, Bloke and 2 others like this.
  15. JamestheJust

Here we have an interested outsider who just might provide some useful observations. I read his posts with interest.

I recall a community leader long ago, who would occasionally wake in the morning and rush off to establish an initiative, sometimes contrary to his previous policy. He would give some reasons that I soon would realize were nonsense. But when I watched closely I could see that the initiatives were correct. He did not understand why but when asked did the best he could in justification.

From that I learned to evaluate propositions independently of the rationale. I apply that in this case too.

16. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Nice story, but I've actually worked for a guy like that in work too important (to me ) to waste time in that sort of chaos. I still work with him, but have learned to harness his strengths and control his weaknesses

Chaz likes this.
  17. Ripcord22A

And i have been for months now. We have politely told him not to comment on things he know nothing about. None of his posts mske any sense. He doesnt bring any insight to anything. He is here strictly to stir the pot. Be got his wish cause those last 2 posts of his reallt ticked me off amd i lost my patience.

MY BROTHERS i appoligize for loosing my patience!

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

hanzosbm likes this.
  18. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

This user has done nothing to warrant further action at this time. In the future, these kinds of requests should be handled via the "Report" feature or via Private Message to an Administrator or Moderator and not in Open Public Forum.

chrmc likes this.
  19. hanzosbm

hanzosbm Premium Member

It happens to the best of us. And please understand, my advice was for your benefit, not his.
    I'm all for different opinions, even when I strongly disagree with them, but this has grown to the point of causing disharmony. But, I'm not an admin.

20. goomba

goomba Neo-Antient Site Benefactor

A group of men, who happen to be Masons, can do activities not as a lodge. Just because Masons are involved doesn't make it Masonic.

Bloke, Zack and Ripcord22A like this.

Share My Freemasonry