My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Code Books

Do you own a codebook?

• Sure do

Votes: 63 61.2%
  • Nope

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • Where the heck can I get one?

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • SHHHHH..I've had one for years!

Votes: 13 12.6%

• Total voters

ddreader

Premium Member
Premium Member
well i hope none of us ever have to put these solutions to practice. they are both good. but the thought of having to turn in a brother for trying to learn the work. will always bother me. but in the end, we got to do what we have to do. judge with candor, admonish with friendship, and reprehend with justice, is our charge, and our duty as brothers. thanks for your insight brothers.

tom268

Here in Germany, the ritual is read from the book in the temple, except for those lodges working in UK or US style. But the original continental european style is to read the ritual. The ritual books are not being sold on the open market of course, but you can find them from time to time on eBay of course. Actually they stay in the property of the grand lodge even if purchased privately .... but tell that to the heirs of a deceased brother, who have no interest in the craft. They give those old boocs to a seller and that's it.

But as an instructor to my lodge and long-time DoC, I of course own my ritual books and use them regularly for lectures.

js4253

Premium Member
Premium Member
well i hope none of us ever have to put these solutions to practice. they are both good. but the thought of having to turn in a brother for trying to learn the work. will always bother me. but in the end, we got to do what we have to do. judge with candor, admonish with friendship, and reprehend with justice, is our charge, and our duty as brothers. thanks for your insight brothers.

All you have to do is tell your Brothers the fact that you want to keep a secret, then they can't report you. LOL

davidterrell80

Past Master
Premium Member
I collect them. Several GMs have granted me dispensation to own restricted copies. Their comparative study has been illuminating in tracing the evolution of the ritual.

Tony Siciliano

Premium Member
I just bought my copy last week. It's printed by the GL of NC.

You have to be a MM, it can only be purchased from the Lodge Secretary, and only if your coach allows it. It's helpful, but no substitute for one-on-one coaching.

@David - that sounds really interesting. Have you had a chance go through them and compare/contrast?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
They are legal for Master Masons only (those who have passed their MM proficiency) to possess, and may not be on the premises of a Lodge nor used in the presence of a student.

Art. 505 (20) "It shall be a Masonic Disciplinary Violation to:"

"Possess, or use a cipher/code book anywhere on a Lodge premises, and to use a cipher/code book in the presence of a candidate when instructing the candidate in the esoteric work of a Masonic Degree." (Revised 2007)

Last edited:

ess1113

Premium Member
JEbeling,
Its actually illegal for an EA to have one and its illegal for some to teach from one to an EA or FC.

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
When it comes to issues like this I say to each their own. Who am I to say that just because I own one (Oklahoma, of course) doesn't mean every MM in the State should have one. I think it should be allowed and if you want one get one and if you don't no should make you get it. I personally feel that if you value the work then you will use a one in the way it is meant to be used. If it doesn't mean much to you then you will use it how you see fit. I also see nothing wrong with one being used on Lodge grounds as long as it isn't in a tyled Lodge meeting. If a bunch of guys get together to work on some stuff on a Saturday afternoon and have to refer back to when there is a question I also see no problem with that. My problem is the use of one during a tyled Lodge meeting whether stated or called.

rpbrown

Premium Member
I have one but did not get it until after all of my profficencies were completed. The older I get, I realize my memory does not retain information as well so I revert to the code book from time to time as a refresher.

CajunTinMan

They are completely legal here. I was rasied in Texas though and the first time I saw one here I freeked out.

Last edited:

K3vin

In WA we are given ciphers for each degree by our coach after the ritual. I have found them indispensable for memory work. As a child I had a terrible time memorizing anything. The cipher books are just enough to get me over the hump, and have made memorizing easier for me.

My Freemasonry

BroBook

Premium Member
The goal is verbatim do whatever it takes to get you there within due bounds!!!

Sent From My Freemasonry Mobile App

Browncoat

Ohio has code books in use. My father-in-law told me that it used to be that they were only sold to the Lodge itself, and that only officers could borrow them. There were so many requests for them that GL decided to make them more available for individual use and started selling them @ $50 each. I assume you still have to order them through the Lodge somehow, but I was told that once you become a MM, you can order one.

When I became an EA, I was given a small paperback code book that contained the cipher for the EA degree. It was verbatim what was written in my mentor's code book. The front page had some text about only being able to keep the book for 30 days before it had to be returned. I read my book several times each day over the course of two weeks and met with my mentor a couple times as well. Both were invaluable to my learning experience. After taking my EA exam last night, I returned my book.

MarkR

Premium Member
Minnesota has a cipher book, and we give one to all new MMs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Bro Darren

Premium Member
I'm just reading my acceptance letter from the Lodge and on the night of initiation we receive a "Book of Constitutions". Now I'm not sure if this is a code book of such or if it's directly related to the Lodge it's self because our Lodge is an official organisation registered as such with the government of Australia.

My Freemasonry