My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Code Books

Do you own a codebook?

• Sure do

Votes: 63 61.2%
  • Nope

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • Where the heck can I get one?

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • SHHHHH..I've had one for years!

Votes: 13 12.6%

• Total voters

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
I went by B&N today and they could not help me. I guess I really didnt know what to ask for.. Code Book? Cipher book? Author?.......?:confused:

King Solomon and His Followers (possibly: Lonestar edition)

My mentor asked to see my code book as he had never seen one and he corrrected all the mistakes in mine, he is trully awesome at the work.

hah. epic. yea, those codebooks aren't the end all be all of memory work.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
if someone cyphered the code book without a mentor he would be twice the Mason I am. The first time I ever saw one of them I thought it was egyptian hieroglyphics but when I learned the work I could see the connection and cypher the words but before it would have taken months if not years to dicern what it said. Knowledge is gained differntly for everyone and spiritual connection also happen at diffrent moments for everyone. Sitting in my house alone working on memory work I have had some real spiritual awakenings but with my mentor we are on to the next line before I can give the last one any thought but at the same time I hear stories of this mans life that are worth more than gold. So each coin has 2 sides and why we cannot recognize this fact and let Masons be Masons and let them experience it for themselves how they want not how we want and trust them to do it right.

C

cpmorgan2

I do own one and you can find them easily @ any Barnes & Noble or possibly even another major bookstore

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I have no problem with them if they are used as intended- to help a Brother keep his work correct. I just can't see how someone could learn the work from the book without help.

I am strongly against using (or even possessing) one in the Lodge or when working with a candidate. I don't think candidates should even be aware that the books exist until after they've been raised & turned in their MM work.

ljlinson1206

Premium Member
Premium Member
I've had one for awhile and I think they are benificial in that it will help you stay proficiant with your work. It can only be read if you already know the work. It is not meant to replace memory work. They are only meant to keep you sharp. Let's face it, sometimes in our lives there are times when we just can't get to lodge as often as we'de like and the cipher books help keep us on track. Just my humble opinion brothers, not meant to offend.

js4253

Premium Member
Premium Member
never used one.. ! and have a cert for years.. ! just don't think I could learn that way because it was not how my brain is wired.. ?

but if it helps one EA.. ! then fine.. ! if an EA wants the work there is always somebody to teach it to them.. ! think some of the best friends you will ever make in life is with your teacher.. ! everone I talked with can always remember sitting in some swing or chair in the yard somewhere with someone who they became very close to.. !

I agree with you 100%. That book is a wonderful reference if you have a question like "is it may be, or might be?". It would be impossible to learn the work from it because it doesn't always use the same code for a particular word. But if you have learned it the right way, from another Brother, you will know the answer to the question you may have.

MGM357

Blue Lodge NO and don't plan to. Monitor for Blue Lodge, yes copyright 1982.
C&C Rituals yes and I'm trying not use them. As for the Commandery, ther's too much moving around to read a book.

Ben Rodriguez

I own a copy of the book, it helped me go over what I already had learned through the proficiencies, it helps me now to learn the questions, so that when I meet one of the new brothers I am teaching, I have already studied ahead of time what the brother will learn in our session.

fairbanks1363pm

i got mine in my back pocket now. soon as i get a chance im going to open it up(at lunch). gonna try to renew my cert at grand lodge

fairbanks1363pm

do any of you get tired of the same ole same ole at grand lodge? they need to pass a resolution that wehn a resolution is passed it cant be brought up for 100 years. i have been a mason for ten years now. this and the 18 year old is brought up at least 4- 5 times.
According to the Monthly Maintenance, a resolution to ban code books again will be presented @ Grand Lodge.

jonesvilletexas

Premium Member
You are right brother it comes up quite often, but it will be like the health bill, IF passed:angry: do you won’t it to not come up for a 100 years? :15:

fairbanks1363pm

either way brother you can not get rid of codebooks. i will have one to aid me in my studies. However, I thank God for the studies that my dad has taught me and the book has been the help when we cant get together.

RedTemplar

Johnny Joe Combs
Premium Member
either way brother you can not get rid of codebooks. i will have one to aid me in my studies. However, I thank God for the studies that my dad has taught me and the book has been the help when we cant get together.

The Grand Lodge of Kentucky figured out a way to get rid of code books. This year they issued the lodge representatives a cd with everything written down completely with exception of passwords, grips, and signs. While I am for this measure, it would have been much better if, like The Grand Lodge of Texas, this "code book" or ritual would have been banned from the lodge. Instead of lending a helping hand to the craft, I feel they have only been provided a crutch. Nothing bites me in the posterior any deeper than seeing a "ritualist" in open lodge with a book or piece of paper in his hand.

Wingnut

Premium Member
While going through old closets and boxes and cabinets we found some old code books from later 1890s. It appears they have been around forever...

ddreader

Premium Member
Premium Member
sounds like you brothers are making use of your books the way they should be used. and that's great. now then if we pass this at grand lodge this year, and the rules of use do not change. are you willing to turn a brother who violates grand lodge law? are you willing to turn a brother who is violating that law know? if not why? this is a hard question i keep asking myself. which part of the obligation do i choose not to obey? seeing how a secret is a secret and all. and theirs the constitution we have to deal with to. anybody want to touch on this question?

jonesvilletexas

Premium Member
Good point! So who is breaking the law? Our brother for using the code book in the wrong place and at the wrong time? YES or you for not obeying your obligation? YES

So the question is, do you advise him he is wrong in doing so, or go straight to your DDGM? We know what he has to do.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Our obligation is between God and ourselves and He will see to the punishment. Now if the violation is grand enough sure the brother needs to be dealt with on the GL level but otherwise I would keep it as small as possible starting with informing the Brother of his wrong doing first, then if it still persist I would bring it to the WM attention and have him deal with it in Lodge then if the Brother still breaks law I would go to my DDGM but only as a last last resort. There law is only enforceable if it has come to your knowledge.

RAY

sounds like you brothers are making use of your books the way they should be used. and that's great. now then if we pass this at grand lodge this year, and the rules of use do not change. are you willing to turn a brother who violates grand lodge law? are you willing to turn a brother who is violating that law know? if not why? this is a hard question i keep asking myself. which part of the obligation do i choose not to obey? seeing how a secret is a secret and all. and theirs the constitution we have to deal with to. anybody want to touch on this question?

You simply whisper good council in his ear and if the conditions don't change then you approach the DDGM. If we all obey the obligation and the constitution, resolutions of GL we will be better Masons in the long run