My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Code Books

Do you own a codebook?

• Sure do

Votes: 63 61.2%
  • Nope

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • Where the heck can I get one?

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • SHHHHH..I've had one for years!

Votes: 13 12.6%

• Total voters

dfreybur

Premium Member
I'm just reading my acceptance letter from the Lodge and on the night of initiation we receive a "Book of Constitutions". Now I'm not sure if this is a code book of such or if it's directly related to the Lodge it's self because our Lodge is an official organisation registered as such with the government of Australia.

That's the meaning where code means rules. Citing the rules by paragraph number is called referencing the code. Most of this thread is about a different meaning.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
"California Masonic Code". The original subject line really should have used a different word for that reason.
Remember, my Brother- when the original thread was begun, this was the "Masons of Texas" website. The correct terminology was used at that time.

otherstar

I do have a code book, however I did learn the work moth to ear when I first earned a certificate in 1998 (lapsed in 2000). Now, I'm using it as a refresher course so that I can re-earn a certificate. I will make sure I run through everything with one of our "A certificate" holders before I attend an exam.

usmcvet

I like how our GL has decided to handle code books. We are allowed to have them but not in a Lodge and not when instructing a candidate. I mean if you don't know the work then you're not going to read the code book.

Side Note: I have heard them called "little brother" does anyone know why?

We can not use them in open lodge but have them to use while learning, practicing and teaching. Why have them if you don't use them? They were given to me with my apron after my raising.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
We can not use them in open lodge but have them to use while learning, practicing and teaching. Why have them if you don't use them?
To begin with, we don't want EAs & FCs to be aware of their existence. We want them and their instructors to have the work committed to memory. In our view, their only proper use is to help jog the memory of MMs. Under our GL Law they may not be possessed on Lodge property or in the presence of a candidate.

usmcvet

To begin with, we don't want EAs & FCs to be aware of their existence. We want them and their instructors to have the work committed to memory. In our view, their only proper use is to help jog the memory of MMs. Under our GL Law they may not be possessed on Lodge property or in the presence of a candidate.

Interesting differences. As an EA and a FC we are issued paperback books with the code in them for the next degree. When I became a MM we were given three books. A Masonic Bible and two hard cover books one with the degrees and one is floor work.

I understand and agree with the desire for secrecy but it is all out there. I am glad I did not look online until after my raising. It is not completely accurate but it is close enough that I am glad I did not read any of it.

crono782

Premium Member
Interesting differences. As an EA and a FC we are issued paperback books with the code in them for the next degree. When I became a MM we were given three books. A Masonic Bible and two hard cover books one with the degrees and one is floor work.

I understand and agree with the desire for secrecy but it is all out there. I am glad I did not look online until after my raising. It is not completely accurate but it is close enough that I am glad I did not read any of it.

I think you'll find secrecy is the least of reasons behind the taboo on code books, though it is often cited.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

brother josh

I'm wondering if Washington or Franklin used code books or would use code books if they were alive today

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

dfreybur

Premium Member
I'm wondering if Washington or Franklin used code books or would use code books if they were alive today

Anderson's Constitutions are written out in full and published as such. They may just as easily used a written ritual as a cyphered one. If they were alive today? Whatever the local rule their jurisdictions have today.