Code Books

Discussion in 'The Voting Booth' started by Blake Bowden, Sep 15, 2008.

?

Do you own a codebook?

1. Sure do

63 vote(s)
    61.2%
  2. Nope

15 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. Where the heck can I get one?

12 vote(s)
    11.7%
  4. SHHHHH..I've had one for years!

13 vote(s)
    12.6%
  1. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

Do you own a codebook?

2. JTM

JTM "Just in case" Premium Member

yep. my grandfather's from the 1890s (new york ritual).

3. TCShelton

TCShelton Founding Member Premium Member

4. owls84

owls84 Moderator Premium Member

I like how our GL has decided to handle code books. We are allowed to have them but not in a Lodge and not when instructing a candidate. I mean if you don't know the work then you're not going to read the code book.

Side Note: I have heard them called "little brother" does anyone know why?

5. rhitland

rhitland Founding Member Premium Member

b/c its little and always there to be tried just like a Brother! lol

6. JTM

just speculating on "little brother," i imagine it has something to do with the "little brother sitting on your shoulder, telling you what the degree work is"

no?

7. JEbeling

JEbeling Guest

never used one.. ! and have a cert for years.. ! just don't think I could learn that way because it was not how my brain is wired.. ?

but if it helps one EA.. ! then fine.. ! if an EA wants the work there is always somebody to teach it to them.. ! think some of the best friends you will ever make in life is with your teacher.. ! everone I talked with can always remember sitting in some swing or chair in the yard somewhere with someone who they became very close to.. !

8. rhitland

my mentor is a gift from God

9. js4253

js4253 Premium Member Premium Member

The ritual must be learned in the traditional way! That is what makes Masonry what it is. Studying esoteric work builds fraternal relations. That having been said, if you are at home going over your memory work and you can't remember if you are stepping off upon my left foot or the left foot it sure is nice to be able to look it up now rather than waiting until your mentor wakes up tomorrow morning.

10. cmoreno85tx

cmoreno85tx Registered User

I agree Brother Hale, I enjoy studying. I would really like to become a mentor myself whenever I pass my MM proficiency. However, especially during studying for my EA it would have been awesome to go over those questions I had just learned that day rather than wait for the next study session.

11. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

According to the Monthly Maintenance, a resolution to ban code books again will be presented @ Grand Lodge.

12. RJS

RJS Guest

Does Grand Lodge sell them?

13. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

I support code books 100000%, and to repeal this would be a unfortunate decision.

14. JEbeling

JEbeling Guest

This is one of those times when some brother has his feeling hurt and will keep wasting everbodys time bring it up over and over.. ! the codebooks are here to stay.. ! get over it.. ?

Sometime it helps just to get it right.. ! you can put 3 Cert people in a room and come up with four answers to word .. ! sometime it was just taught to you wrong..? so it helps to have a final answer to something .. not just he said..?

I think the Committe on (Change) work would get behind it .. ! would save them a lot of time .. ! taking calls about certain words..?

15. JTM

there is a resolution to get rid of codebooks. but regardless, like i've said elsewhere, whether it's against the rules or not, the people that want them are going to get them.

and from what i know about the codebooks, the ritual is from 1984. not the same. not only will you come up with four answers to the word, you'll come up with a fifth.

16. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

No, but they're readily available.

17. js4253

js4253 Premium Member Premium Member

Originally Posted by RJS View Post
    Does Grand Lodge sell them?

Barnes and Nobel does.

18. cmoreno85tx

cmoreno85tx Registered User

I went by B&N today and they could not help me. I guess I really didnt know what to ask for.. Code Book? Cipher book? Author?.......?:confused:

19. nick1368

nick1368 Registered User

I have one. I hardly look at it, not sure why I bought it...lol. I too agree with the way that GL has handled it. I do NOT want to see the day that Blue Lodge ends up like Chapter and Council. The book is a great learning tool for those Brothers that are trying to lear the work in order to confer a degree, but I strongly feel that a Brother should still learn from another Brother. The relationship that is built between the two is something that is very special.

20. rhitland

My mentor asked to see my code book as he had never seen one and he corrrected all the mistakes in mine, he is trully awesome at the work.

Share My Freemasonry