My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crossing the Line

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
A couple of large Masonic forums seems to hedge this question. (And by seem, I mean ignore)

hypothetically speaking.....................
If a Black friend sits with you in lodge for 15 years and you cross a state line - they admit you but not your Brother and even state it's because he is Black. What do you do and what do your expect you jurisdiction to react to the lack of recognition of a brother form your jurisdiction?

If he moves across the state line and can't get membership because of the same, what do you expect your jurisdiction to do?

I'm doing a little better than 3/5ths human, but 4/5ths of states seem to have issues we all seem to acknowledge out loud and have anecdotes about, etc, etc. But it's ok, or we just have to wait.. Until I get old or die.
BTW, Thanks for acknowledging them out loud for those who do - that means progress.

My problem is, I have a son looking at me as a man. Not sure I can say, hey I visited lodges in every state I've been in, but this one might not work out for me...

owls84

Premium Member
If it were me I would not sit in that Lodge. By rejecting my friend you basically reject me. I would begin getting as much information as I could to see that charges could accurately be filed. As soon as my feet hit the ground in Texas I would be on the phone with the Grand Secretary to file charges. I would expect nothing to happen but just to file creates paperwork and work for the two jurisdictions.

I think our problem is no charges are being filed. The problem with the other jurisdiction is you must be able to ace their proficiency exam and pass their trials to enter. We can't give them a reason to reject our entrance other than race.

There are proper protocol for filing charge in another jurisdiction and this should be followed.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
Not sure your home jurisdiction can do anything in another GL they would have no real power about all they could probably do is ask that GM to do something. Your home GL if could make statments through their actions that we are not including in this bigitory attitude.
If your friend and our Brother has moved to another GL juris. and they will not let him in as a TX Mason I would expect my GM ar GL to assist me in finding out why?
As far as your son I have a young one whom I dearly want to be a Masons and even in the current state we are in I would bring him in b/c I know just like me he would fight the good fight. This thing will get turned around, when no one really knows but I seriously doubt we wait till this racist attitude dies.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
every mason has a right to visit regular lodges. you could get that entire grand lodge declared irregular if they refused admission.

the best idea is to get your secretary to get grand secretary of texas to send grand secretary of the state your going to to send secretary of the lodge your going to certs of good standing before you go. that covers all the bases.

show up, walk right in after showing them your license and dues card. if they don't let the black guy in, then file charges.

Sirius

If they dont let my friend in we leave and go to the Waffle House. Seriously, I'm waiting for all the old school bigots to die so Masonry can be reborn.

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
If they dont let my friend in we leave and go to the Waffle House. Seriously, I'm waiting for all the old school bigots to die so Masonry can be reborn.

+1 to all thee above, except Waffle House, which is horrible.

J

JEbeling

Just to many "What if's" ...? kinda sounds like someone is try to make a point.. ! but can't come out and ask the question..? if we take care of TEXAS lodges and let other grand lodges take care of their problems.. ! think we will have enough to do..?

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Actually, as the brother who asked the question..
This is the question and answer I wanted and expected.

I expect problems in texas on occasion, but I expect enough of my brothers to stand by me. I haven't asked this question in forums where brothers appear on CNN, etc. I've asked it where others have.

And I'm happy that in my own state, and among my own brothers, I got the answer I expected from other fellow brother masons. Masonly support. In the other forum there was only theories and pontification. Zero support.

My point was made and found (and question asked very directly, btw). Thank you brothers. I'm in the minority on political discourse here, but on the level as I should be.

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
Just to many "What if's" ...? kinda sounds like someone is try to make a point.. ! but can't come out and ask the question..? if we take care of TEXAS lodges and let other grand lodges take care of their problems.. ! think we will have enough to do..?

What? Am I hearing this right? Bro. Ebeling, are you coming out to help us take care of some issues? j/k

Last edited:
J

JEbeling

The word is "IS" not "ARE" brother Shelton.. !
you have a fine morning.. !

ncm_pkt

Sorry to hear about this problem brother. I agree with all of our other brothers that action should be taken against this behavior that isn't masonic at all. You would not have this problem at my mother lodge.

Gerald.Harris

Premium Member
Premium Member
A couple of large Masonic forums seems to hedge this question. (And by seem, I mean ignore)

hypothetically speaking.....................
If a Black friend sits with you in lodge for 15 years and you cross a state line - they admit you but not your Brother and even state it's because he is Black. What do you do and what do your expect you jurisdiction to react to the lack of recognition of a brother form your jurisdiction?

If he moves across the state line and can't get membership because of the same, what do you expect your jurisdiction to do?

I'm doing a little better than 3/5ths human, but 4/5ths of states seem to have issues we all seem to acknowledge out loud and have anecdotes about, etc, etc. But it's ok, or we just have to wait.. Until I get old or die.
BTW, Thanks for acknowledging them out loud for those who do - that means progress.

My problem is, I have a son looking at me as a man. Not sure I can say, hey I visited lodges in every state I've been in, but this one might not work out for me...

This forum does not hedge this question. We have had several great discussions regarding this issue. Simply put, there is no place for racism in our fraternity. It is not only inconsistent with our obligations, it is just not right.

js4253

Premium Member
Premium Member

Your wish is coming true. They are dying off by the thousands.

Zack

Brother Sirius, you paint with a pretty wide brush.
I doubt seriously that all the "younger" Masons are devoid of bigotry.